That timeout we burned in the third quarter

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Did we ever determine why we wasted a timeout when it was clear that the Giants had to punt on 4th and 12 from our 40 yard line? Why was the punt return team not ready?

Woods

Reaction score
I think it was another screw up. Not sure why we weren't ready for them to punt.

TonyS

Reaction score
It was all Crayton's fault.

Don't blame Wade. We were 13-3 and had a great offense. We broke records this year. Yippee tie yie yay!

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbgun;1904380 said:
Did we ever determine why we wasted a timeout when it was clear that the Giants had to punt on 4th and 12 from our 40 yard line? Why was the punt return team not ready?

Was it clear? Maybe to you and me, but somehow it wasn't clear to the coaches. They had the defense on the field and not the punt return team.

Although I don't like to see timeouts wasted like that one was at the time, I didn't think it truly mattered. Dallas had two good chances to move into position to win the game in the end. They started in good field position with plenty of time on the clock on their last two drives.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It looked like we thought they might go for it or run a fake. Ellis couldn't decide to get off the field or stay on. There was a lot of confusion.

Our 2 minute play calling was to blame. The draw to Barber wasted a ton of time, not calling the TO after Witten's catch at the 22 yd line and :43 left and the 2 yd out pattern to Witten and staying in bounds all hurt.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It looked like they were confused about whether to use the safe defense or what.

Another reason why Bruce Read has to go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TonyS;1904389 said:
It was all Crayton's fault.

Don't blame Wade. We were 13-3 and had a great offense. We broke records this year. Yippee tie yie yay!
Gee, 13-3 chest thumping sounds just like the Commanders trolls 14-13 chest thumping. Odd.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;1904399 said:
Was it clear? Maybe to you and me, but somehow it wasn't clear to the coaches. They had the defense on the field and not the punt return team.

Why would they think the Giants were going for it? There was an eternity of time left in the game, and it was 4th and 12, not 4th and inches.

Although I don't like to see timeouts wasted like that one was at the time, I didn't think it truly mattered. Dallas had two good chances to move into position to win the game in the end. They started in good field position with plenty of time on the clock on their last two drives.

Strongly disagree, An extra timeout would have come in quite handy. For one thing, it might have precluded that desperation heave by Romo.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;1904380 said:

Timeouts were not a factor tony should of been aware of the clock on that last 4th down play and we should of converted the 1st down and spiked the ball and had at least two more shots at the end zone from within the 10 yard line. Lil mental mistakes from the qb cost us a few more tries that could of resulted in a winning touchdown.

TonyS

Reaction score
Hostile;1904428 said:
Gee, 13-3 chest thumping sounds just like the Commanders trolls 14-13 chest thumping. Odd.

Sorry Hos, forgot to add the /sarcasm at the end.

joseephuss

Reaction score
BALKIS;1904460 said:
Timeouts were not a factor tony should of been aware of the clock on that last 4th down play and we should of converted the 1st down and spiked the ball and had at least two more shots at the end zone from within the 10 yard line. Lil mental mistakes from the qb cost us a few more tries that could of resulted in a winning touchdown.

All the receiver routes were into the endzone. I think Witten floated to the outside, but would have been well short of the first down marker if they threw to him. Romo had no choice, but to throw it into the endzone. I think he should have thrown to TO because I never like Glenn as the guy who is going to win the battle on a jump ball. That is my preference, but no matter who he chose they were not open. They would have had to fight for the ball.

I also don't think it is realistic that they could have made the first down and had time to spike the ball in that situation for one more play, much less two more plays. It just would not have happened. That last play goes to the endzone over 90% of the time.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;1904527 said:
All the receiver routes were into the endzone. I think Witten floated to the outside, but would have been well short of the first down marker if they threw to him. Romo had no choice, but to throw it into the endzone. I think he should have thrown to TO because I never like Glenn as the guy who is going to win the battle on a jump ball. That is my preference, but no matter who he chose they were not open. They would have had to fight for the ball.

I also don't think it is realistic that they could have made the first down and had time to spike the ball in that situation for one more play, much less two more plays. It just would not have happened. That last play goes to the endzone over 90% of the time.

Are you serious? You're telling me with 30+ seconds left on the clock on a 4th & 11 & no timeouts you don't have a shot at making a first down and spiking the ball and at least getting two more plays in? What kind of nfl football are you watching?

joseephuss

Reaction score
BALKIS;1904550 said:
Are you serious? You're telling me with 30+ seconds left on the clock on a 4th & 11 & no timeouts you don't have a shot at making a first down and spiking the ball and at least getting two more plays in? What kind of nfl football are you watching?

Oh, my bad. You were talking about a hypothetical situation where the offense has 30+ seconds left on the clock on their 4th down and 11 play. I was thinking you were being critical of the actual circumstances in yesterday's game where Dallas had a 4th and 11 with 16 seconds left on the clock. They ran a play that ended up burning 7 seconds with that interception. If Romo hits someone and Dallas gets the first down in the field of play, the clock keeps ticking. So, in 9 seconds the entire offense is supposed to get lined up and get the ball spiked and there still be enough time to run two more plays. Yep, that is realistic.

BALKIS

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;1904568 said:
Oh, my bad. You were talking about a hypothetical situation where the offense has 30+ seconds left on the clock on their 4th down and 11 play. I was thinking you were being critical of the actual circumstances in yesterday's game where Dallas had a 4th and 11 with 16 seconds left on the clock. They ran a play that ended up burning 7 seconds with that interception. If Romo hits someone and Dallas gets the first down in the field of play, the clock keeps ticking. So, in 9 seconds the entire offense is supposed to get lined up and get the ball spiked and there still be enough time to run two more plays. Yep, that is realistic.

So you're saying there was 16 seconds left when tony snapped that ball on 4th & 11? I will have to go back and view this for myself bc i could of swore there was way more time on the clock than that. Even If there was just 16 seconds left thats more than enough time to get a first down and spike the ball for one more play. I hope you're correct about the time you say there was.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
BALKIS;1904592 said:
So you're saying there was 16 seconds left when tony snapped that ball on 4th & 11? I will have to go back and view this for myself bc i could of swore there was way more time on the clock than that. Even If there was just 16 seconds left thats more than enough time to get a first down and spike the ball for one more play. I hope you're correct about the time you say there was.

There was 16 seconds left. When the play ended there were nine. I think we should have tried for the first down on 3rd down but on fourth we had to go for the TD.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BALKIS;1904592 said:

16 seconds is correct.

joseephuss

Reaction score
BALKIS;1904592 said:

Go to nfl.com and look at the play by play recap. It lists the play clock times. Or go to the thread about Crayton stopping on the 3rd down route. There is a youtube video showing the time left after that play.

There is no guarantee that 16 seconds is enough to get the first down and get the ball spiked. It may work, it may not. I know at the end of the Buffalo game on the play that was later ruled an incompletion to TO the play started with 18 seconds on the clock and when Romo spiked it down, there was 1 second left. The refs later ruled that the pass was incomplete and put more time on the clock.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1904607 said:
There was 16 seconds left. When the play ended there were nine. I think we should have tried for the first down on 3rd down but on fourth we had to go for the TD.

They could have tried for the 1st down on the 3rd down play, but the TD was there. Crayton just quit on his route. Romo saw the single coverage and threw a perfect ball if Crayton does what he was supposed to do.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;1904627 said:
They could have tried for the 1st down on the 3rd down play, but the TD was there. Crayton just quit on his route. Romo saw the single coverage and threw a perfect ball if Crayton does what he was supposed to do.

Oh I agree but I meant if going to go for the first down, have to do it on 3rd, not 4th because if don't get it at least have a shot on fourth down.

All in all, a very disappointing end.