The “Mediocre Bowl”: Keys for winning the game

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
This is one of those games where the Cowboys match up incredibly well against the Eagles. There’s a reason why they’ve won 4 straight.

The Cowboys are 5-0 against the Eagles when Zeke plays and 0-2 when he does not.

Against the Eagles, Zeke has averaged 6.5 yards per carry on runs in first and 10. I read that because of that the Eagles want to run blitz on first down and put 7 or 8 men in the box. Except that they can’t, because they only have one healthy starter at linebacker. The rest are fill-ins, either special teams players or practice squad fodder.

Cowboys are good at stopping these speedy backs because of the speed of their defense. Luckily the Eagles’ bruiser, Jordan Howard, won’t play.

With Whiteside now limited in practice, the Eagles are down to 2 (yes! two!) healthy wide receivers. Both weren’t in NFL rosters to start the year and are practice squad garbage.

Lane Johnson, their best offensive lineman, almost certainly won’t play. Wentz is 3-9 without Johnson in the lineup.

Ronald Darby, their #1 cornerback, probably won’t play.

So in theory this should be one of those 41-13 type blow outs. But it’s our Cowboys, so I guess it’ll be an overtime game.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles are decimated with injuries, therefore, Cowboys should win easy.
By mid-3rd Quarter this game will be over.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see it. But I also didn’t see them playing the way they did last week either. That’s why JG has to go. It’s a crap shoot out there every week. Every season. On and on.......
Agreed. Inconsistency is the mark of mediocrity and poor coaching. This team could easily have been 10-4 at this point. When Jerry points to Garrett’s 84-66 record, it overlooks the fact that even if we make the playoffs Sunday, only 4 of Garrett’s 9 teams made the playoffs, and lost all 3 winnable divisional playoff games.

Three playoff wins in 9 years? Only Cincinnati would keep a HC around with that kind of bottom line performance. Garrett has had plenty of time, just couldn’t get us there.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Loool. Love it...”The Mediorce Bowl”. How fitting two 7-7 losers fight it out for a chance to dance around the ring for the division title belt.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We should stop apologizing if we win the East. We underperformed expectations, but it was a tough schedule. If we get in, nobody’s going to be hoping they get Dallas. Most of those games we lost to good teams came down to a turnover. We’re healthy and have a complete roster. We just need to get in.
Yes, but what is our weakness against playoff caliber teams? You know Idgit, Garrett!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Garrett cant kick FGs either but I wish he would have recognized a bit sooner that the kicking situation needed to be fixed . We would have had the NFC East locked up and this game would not matter

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sunday’s game is an elimination game for Philly, it’s do or die for them so the Cowboys better be focused and ready to play. I can’t even remember the last time the Cowboys won on the road with the division title on the line.

Garrett's record in "win and in" games is.........well, lets just say its not good.;)

Brax

Reaction score
We should stop apologizing if we win the East. We underperformed expectations, but it was a tough schedule. If we get in, nobody’s going to be hoping they get Dallas. Most of those games we lost to good teams came down to a turnover. We’re healthy and have a complete roster. We just need to get in.
Getting deep here, most of those games were lost because they were poorly coached and players played poorly. Sunday is the super stinker bowl brought to you by Jerry and Jason.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope we are prepared for them to fill the box and attempt to stop zeke and the short passing game. We must be prepared to run outside, throw deep and force them to cover the areas they abandoned.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting deep here, most of those games were lost because they were poorly coached and players played poorly. Sunday is the super stinker bowl brought to you by Jerry and Jason.

Not really, but it’s fun to pretend.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Cowboys SHOULD win by 10 or more. Eagles are decimated by injury and they don’t have the talent to match up. That said Garrett’s horrid coaching and being in Philly will keep it close. I see Philly losing a one possession game.

Call it 31-27 Dallas.

willia451

Reaction score
Your #2 point is really the most important. It's been talked about several times on these boards. The Cowboys simply aren't built to come from behind down by multiple scores early. Especially in a big time, high pressure game.

If they're ahead at the half they will almost certainly win the game.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Don’t turn the ball over. Run the ball. Let Dak make a few passes. I Would roll him out. Something we don’t do a lot. It gives the threat of him running without putting him in danger of running, make some shorter to intermediate passes. Use the screens and dump offs. Make there defense run.

We need to stuff the run. Hit wentz.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right! Two playoff wins in 9 years. Thanks for the correction.

That wouldn’t be good enough in 30 of 32 NFL cities. Only Jerry Jones and Cincy’s Mike Brown tolerate that kind of mediocrity.