The 10 best linebackers in the history of the Dallas Cowboys

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the most part I agree with this list. But putting Dat Nguyen ahead of D.D. Lewis is criminal. And where is Bob Breunig?

The 10 best linebackers in the history of the Dallas Cowboys
By Jerry Trotta
8/22/2024

The value of inside linebacker play has made a triumphant return. The position's importance had cratered since the mid 2010s, but it is once again highly important to boast quality linebacker play. The Dallas Cowboys learned that the hard way last season, when their lack of presence at linebacker loomed large late in the schedule and in the playoffs.

The Cowboys' five Super Bowls were won on the back of elite offenses, but the iconic "Doomsday Defense" and defenses from the mid-1990s were propelled by their linebackers. With that in mind, let's rank the 10-best linebackers to ever suit up for Dallas.

Criteria for selection:
Linebackers is a very broad position group, so this list only includes inside linebackers. In other words, don't expect DeMarcus Ware or other "outside linebackers" to appear. Ware and other decorated outside linebackers can be found in our ranking of the top 10 defensive linemen in Cowboys history.

Individual accolades (All-Pros, Pro Bowls, DPOY, etc.) factored heavily in these rankings. Individual statistics also carried weight, but tackles were not seriously tracked until the mid-1990s. Tackles are generally the go-to stat to measure linebacker play.

Length of tenure and team success were also considered, but not blindly. Just because a player spent many years in Dallas or won multiple Super Bowls doesn't mean they were included. They had to be relevant during their tenure and valued contributors to a championship-winning team.

Here is their list: https://thelandryhat.com/posts/best-linebackers-dallas-cowboys-history-01j5ebjkaahm

01j5ebpb0kc1hyjyq8mn.jpg

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hopefully one of these young guys can be on this list!!! See good things coming their way, you HAVE to love the hair of Liaufau out there

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Reminds me of Troy Pomamallu (sp?). Maybe Liaufau can do Head N Shoulders commercials too!! :grin:
he surely gives polamlu vibes!!!!!

Never forget the day he was at a local mall, he was doing autograph signings. I was coming down the steps and yelled GO COWBOYS, causing him to look at me in disgust lol very funny moment!!!

RS12

Reaction score
Why I agree with the top two: both were great at the lost art of creatimg turnovers. Combined interceptions and fumble recoveries. Howley 43 combined. Jordan 50 combined and belongs HOF. Howley the only SB MVP on a losing team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10. D.D. Lewis
9. Robert Jones
8. Bradie James
7. Eugene Lockhart
6. Dat Nguyen
5. Sean Lee
4. Dexter Coakley
3. Ken Norton Jr
2. Lee Roy Jordan
1. Chuck Howley

This is their ranking
That is a solid list. I would swap Bradie James with Robert Jones and Dexter Coakley with Sean Lee.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So who is gonna open up the Hollywood Henderson can of worms?

shabazz

Reaction score
I would have Lee at #4 over Coakley.
But get if injuries bumped him to #5
Their careers were polar opposites in terms of health.

I believe Coakley may have only missed one game in his entire time here?