The 10 best linebackers in the history of the Dallas Cowboys

joseephuss

Reaction score
Howley was a 5 time all-pro and 6 time pro-bowler. The only other all-pro interior LB for the Cowboys was Sean Lee who was all-pro once and a 2 time pro-bowler. Leroy Jordan was a 5 time pro-bowler. Bob Breunig and Dexter Coakley were both 3 time pro-bowlers. No other interior linebackers for Dallas had an all-pro season or more than 1 pro-bowl season.

cowboyec

Reaction score
my attempt...
1.chuck howley
2.lee roy jordan
3.hollywood henderson
4.mike hegman
5.dd lewis
6.bob breunig
7.dave edwards
8.eugene lockhart
9.ken norton,jr
0.dexter coakley

Tractor1

Reaction score
Lockhart was bad! He might have had a thousand tackles, but 990 of them were 8 to 12 yards downfield. He doesn't belong on the list. Replace him with Bob Breunig.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
my attempt...
1.chuck howley
2.lee roy jordan
3.hollywood henderson
4.mike hegman
5.dd lewis
6.bob breunig
7.dave edwards
8.eugene lockhart
9.ken norton,jr
0.dexter coakley
Good list. The fact that you provided the first mention of Mike Hegman gets a like from me.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Good list. The fact that you provided the first mention of Mike Hegman gets a like from me.
big fan of mike hegman.
one of the best...and maybe most underrated from the landry era.
excellent player.

joseephuss

Reaction score
4 seasons

That was the era where Dallas wouldnt pay LBs

They let Jones walk then Norton soon after

both were big cogs in our Super Bowl runs
Along with Darrin Smith and Dixon Edwards. Not flashy, but solid, reliable players for the time they were Cowboys.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching Hollywood Henderson as much as the next guy, but I've always found him to be overrated. He only started 38 games for Dallas. He had some great highlights, but he really wasn't a solid player. I think he gets rated on what he could have been, but not from what he actually was.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Looking for him to go back to agent #0
I agree, having Overshown put on the cloak of Agent 0 would be tremendous. Sadly though, didn't the owner and GM rule that out when it was suggested last year when looking for a jersey# for Overshown?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Howley was a 5 time all-pro and 6 time pro-bowler. The only other all-pro interior LB for the Cowboys was Sean Lee who was all-pro once and a 2 time pro-bowler. Leroy Jordan was a 5 time pro-bowler. Bob Breunig and Dexter Coakley were both 3 time pro-bowlers. No other interior linebackers for Dallas had an all-pro season or more than 1 pro-bowl season.
Didn't Norton make All-Pro with Dallas?
I know he did for SF, but assumed Dallas too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clown show of a list. Bradie James anywhere on there, give me a break.

And Coakley #4? Only for trade value.

10. D.D. Lewis
9. Robert Jones
8. Bradie James
7. Eugene Lockhart
6. Dat Nguyen
5. Sean Lee
4. Dexter Coakley
3. Ken Norton Jr
2. Lee Roy Jordan
1. Chuck Howley

This is their ranking

10. D.D. Lewis
9. Robert Jones
8. Bradie James
7. Eugene Lockhart
6. Dat Nguyen
5. Sean Lee
4. Dexter Coakley
3. Ken Norton Jr
2. Lee Roy Jordan
1. Chuck Howley

This is their ranking
Clown show of a list. Bradie James anywhere on there, give me a break.

And Coakley #4? Only for trade value.
They've had many LBs that were better than Bradie James.
- He couldn't cover anybody.

Darrin Smith (Starter from 93 thru 95, then departed in free agency).
Randall Godfrey (Not well remembered because the team was on the decline whiel he was here).
Dixon Edwards (Starter for the 93 and 95 Super Bowl winning seasons).

joseephuss

Reaction score
Didn't Norton make All-Pro with Dallas?
I know he did for SF, but assumed Dallas too.
He got a 2nd team all-pro and one pro-bowl with Dallas. He got a 1st team all-pro and one pro-bowl with SF.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
10. D.D. Lewis
9. Robert Jones
8. Bradie James
7. Eugene Lockhart
6. Dat Nguyen
5. Sean Lee
4. Dexter Coakley
3. Ken Norton Jr
2. Lee Roy Jordan
1. Chuck Howley

This is their ranking
Dumbo Arlington Jonesboys LB Top Ten list. A real Dallas Cowboys Linebacker Top Ten list would have Bob Breunig.

Bob Breunig
Career highlights and awards
Career history
Career information
Personal information
No. 53
Position:Linebacker
Born:July 4, 1953 (age 71)
Inglewood, California, U.S.
Height:6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight:226 lb (103 kg)
High school:Alhambra (Phoenix, Arizona)
College:Arizona State
NFL draft:1975 / Round: 3 / Pick: 70

The Cowboys from 1960 to 1984 had only 3 starters at MLB. Tubbs, Jordan, and Breunig. Tubbs was the LB Coach from 1965 to 1985 coaching Jordan, Breunig, and Lockhart.

The author also said to only include MLB. Lewis, and Coakley never played MLB and were OLBs. Therefore you would have to include Demarcus Ware was a OLB in the 3/4 Defense.

Thomas Hollywood Henderson did more at 4/3 OLB in 5 years than most of the OLB on the list, including making the Pro Bowl, being a Super Bowl Champion, and 2x Super Bowl starter.

Therefore any Dallas Cowboys all time MLB list that does not include Tubbs, Jordan, Breunig, and LB list that does not include Ware, and Henderson is incredulous at best. Breunig should be in the Ring of Honor. Compare his stats, NFL Awards, NFC Championship Games, and Super Bowls to any Cowboys LB.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
They've had many LBs that were better than Bradie James.
- He couldn't cover anybody.

Darrin Smith (Starter from 93 thru 95, then departed in free agency).
Randall Godfrey (Not well remembered because the team was on the decline whiel he was here).
Dixon Edwards (Starter for the 93 and 95 Super Bowl winning seasons).
Darrin Smith career should let everyone know that Jerry Dumbo GM Jones was not about winning Championships after firing Jimmy Johnson (see contract holdout). Smith started from his rookie year. and was the starter on 2 Super Bowl teams and 3 NFC Championship games in 4 years as a Cowboy.

Smith was from Jimmy Johnson historic recruited LB group called the Bermuda Triangle at the U winning 2 Natties. Smith, Armstead, and Barrow played at least 10 seasons in the NFL.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The question with Sean Lee is how much do you de-rate him for his time missed due to injuries. He played well enough for long enough to make me confident that he could line up next to any Cowboys LB ever... the only guy who I would say is clear-cut better than him is Howley.

But does, say, Coakley's 7 years with 100+ tackles place him above a guy who essentially didn't even play for 6 seasons? (Lee has 92 games started). And it's not like Coakley was some pile-jumping chopped liver. I am pro-Lee, but you can argue it either way.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Hammy Lee was my favorite player to watch, perhaps one of the highest football IQ guys ive seen play. His rookie year was insane, nearly 3 pick 6s iirc. Doesnt sound too impressive now but our defense was hot garbage then and he was the one bright spot

dare i say we go a lot further in 2014 if he didnt blow his acl in training camp

like seeing Dat up there, another really good one.

Nortons goal line stand on 3rd down in the SB is one of my favorite moments

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I wonder what Jaylon Smith could have been if not for that bowl game injury.

he definitely had the desire to play