The 10 best linebackers in the history of the Dallas Cowboys

fivetwos

Reaction score
I will. No list is complete without Hollywood.

And I’d probably put Dave Edwards ahead of a couple others.
It’s a tough list to opine on unless you’ve seen them all. I know who Edwards is, but he was before my time.

Some on that list that I saw every snap of their careers….I didn’t think were all that great. Solid, sure. Very good to great? Meh.

Despite the results of the last few decades, it’s still and storied franchise with a great history. It’s a bit amazing that there isn’t really much of a list of top players at this one position. There are many legends at every other spot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s a tough list to opine on unless you’ve seen them all. I know who Edwards is, but he was before my time.

Some on that list that I saw every snap of their careers….I didn’t think were all that great. Solid, sure. Very good to great? Meh.

Despite the results of the last few decades, it’s still and storied franchise with a great history. It’s a bit amazing that there isn’t really much of a list of top players at this one position. There are many legends at every other spot.
I’m old enough unfortunately to have seen them all. Edwards played with Lee Roy Jordan and Chuck Howley. Greatest LB tandem in Cowboys history.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
I would have liked to see if the Manster could have developed as a LB. I think Landry kind of gave up on him a little early, even though he turned out to be pretty good on the DL.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Not old enough to have seen Howley and Jordan play, although definitely know the stories and watch the old film. My old man was a huge fan of those guys as I’m sure most fans of the era were. I always liked Dat Nguyen. Wish his body could have held up better, but dude was a playmaker, and tough as hell for being that small. Wasn’t he also the first Vietnamese NFL player?

if Sean Lee could have stayed healthy, I bet he had a good chance to be in the ring of honor. Had those two great uninjured years that really showed what could have been.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Clown show of a list. Bradie James anywhere on there, give me a break.

And Coakley #4? Only for trade value.

kskboys

Reaction score
I will. No list is complete without Hollywood.

And I’d probably put Dave Edwards ahead of a couple others.
Dave Edwards was a stud. Several players claimed he was the best LB on the team at the time.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Jordan was better than Howley, taking nothing away from Chuck Howley.

Lee was better than Coakley. But I am discounting the injuries and going just by how they played in their prime.

When his career is over, we'll have to see where Micah fits on this list. The hybrid LB/DE didn't really exist much in the days when a lot of the guys on this list played.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Jordan was better than Howley, taking nothing away from Chuck Howley.

Lee was better than Coakley. But I am discounting the injuries and going just by how they played in their prime.

When his career is over, we'll have to see where Micah fits on this list. The hybrid LB/DE didn't really exist much in the days when a lot of the guys on this list played.
it does its called OLB lol OLB is pass rushing LB that plays the run when he feels like it LOL so it depends on the alignment of the defensive line and what your defensive coordinator is calling but technically DeMarcus where and Lawrence Taylor we're linebackers but they were outside linebackers but most of their job was to rush the passer so yes he could classify it as a linebacker there is a position in the Hall of Fame and for the numbers and the Pro Bowl for that he's not a defensive end technically he's an outside linebacker but again it's semantics it's depending on what the defensive coordinator is calling the alignment is it a 3/4 then he's an outside linebacker if it's a four three maybe he's considered a defensive end but he wanted to be classified as a defensive end because they make more money technically.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
James got a ton of heat on this forum. No way he makes the top ten list if it was comprised here during his career.

I always thought of him as solid and an asset, but not difficult to replace.

MS17

Reaction score
Agree. Bob Bruenig would be there as well before a few of these picks for me.
Absoluuuuutely. Chosen for 3 Pro Bowls. What I recall was that he was durable, reliable, and smart. He was a Landry guy.

erod

Reaction score
Eugene Lockhart should be much higher. He just played for the wrong Cowboys teams.

How is Hollywood Henderson not on this list? He's the reason Lawrence Taylor wore 56.

Also, Darrin Smith was far better than many of those guys, as was Mike Hegman.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Man, if Sean Lee could have stayed healthy he would be viewed in close to the same light that guys like Luke Kuechly are from this era.

Loved having him out there on defense.

Him, McClain, and Carter in 2014 was a pretty legit starting three.