The 2020 defense was bad

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
guys can we stop this it was bad what made it historically bad was the first 10 games the offense was turning it over and tied with the eagles for lead lead in TOS,, making bad penalties putting us behind the sticks, punt way too much after dropping key passes etc etc

they piled on bad defense and that included our starters like Dak, zeke and others the first 4.5 games, his TOS gave the defense a short field to defend far too many times..

horrible defense yes, been covered , over covered, been redundant but tired of the word historic that was a team issue from coaching calls like the TG WFT game many of those even from ST etc piled on bad defense and mad eit worse..

playing from behind, taking the run game away , and losing TOP..all piled on the defense..

yes they shoulder some blame thats for sure..

the way i see it from the FO down to the equipment guy is responsible for 6-10
You are correct. People like to twist my words and say that I blame the offense for the bad defense, but what I say is that if the offense would have been better through 3 quarters those first 5 games then it would have took pressure off an already bad defense. The defense was going to be bad regardless, but it was made worse from the absolute lack of moving the ball and turnovers on offense until the 4th quarter.

Dak was on pace to lead the NFL in turnovers. Zeke was fumbling like a mad man. You can't tell me that didn't hurt an already terrible defense.

cavemanct

Reaction score
The defense was bad, but 9 other teams gave up more yards then us, 11 other teams gave up more first downs, TWENTY ONE more teams gave up more passing yards, 1 other team gave up more rushing yards, 14 other teams had more defensive penalties, and 4 other teams gave up more points.

So how exactly was the defense "historically bad" when it wasn't last in anything meaningful? It was just a bad defense, but not historically bad. The 2020 defense is not a defense we can make any deep run with, but still yet, not a historically bad defense.
Your kidding with this right?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You are correct. People like to twist my words and say that I blame the offense for the bad defense, but what I say is that if the offense would have been better through 3 quarters those first 5 games then it would have took pressure off an already bad defense. The defense was going to be bad regardless, but it was made worse from the absolute lack of moving the ball and turnovers on offense until the 4th quarter.

Dak was on pace to lead the NFL in turnovers. Zeke was fumbling like a mad man. You can't tell me that didn't hurt an already terrible defense.
so you are putting all the pressure on Offense, having to be Historically good to over come historically bad defense. that's what you just said....spin an excuse for defense and blame the offense. :thumbup:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
so you are putting all the pressure on Offense, having to be Historically good to over come historically bad defense. that's what you just said....spin an excuse for defense and blame the offense. :thumbup:
If the offense was component through 3 quarters it would have took a lot of pressure off the defense.

As I said.... Dak was on pace to lead the entire NFL in turnover and Zeke was a fumble machine. If that was not happening, then our opponents would not have gotten so many opportunities in our own territory to score.

Use logic instead of being so in your feels.

cavemanct

Reaction score
They gave up a franchise record 473 points and second most yards in team history. And that's on the offense? Did you watch and games?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
They gave up a franchise record 473 points and second most yards in team history. And that's on the offense? Did you watch and games?
The offense not being able to move the ball for 3 quarters a game put an already bad defense into bad positions is what I'm saying. They were going to be bad regardless if the offense was amazing, but Dak and Zeke being turnover machines put a terrible defense into bad spots. Then we lose our QB, O line, and Zeke plays uninspired and it's just a snowball effect from there.

Again, the defenses was going to be one of the worst in the league regardless of the offense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I provided you stone cold numbers.

You don't have to accept them, that's your choice, but you'd think a so called "historically bad" defense would at least be the worst in the NFL at something meaningful.

We're all the defenses that put up worse numbers last year also historically bad?
Hello??? The Cowboys 2020 Defense was historically the worst in franchise history. 'Nuff said!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You clearly don't do the research for yourself either.
Do some homework before you post. Would save everyone some time and make your posts more credible.

"How bad was the Dallas Cowboys defense in 2020?

Don’t let the slight improvements in December fool you.

The Cowboys (6-10) finished the year allowing a franchise record 473 points and the second-most yards in the team’s history."

The 473 points allowed surpass the previous high of 436 in 2010."

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article248263270.html

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The coaching was horrific.
Every game there were multiple blown assignments.
I can remember the Washington game specifically. they're running back was single handedly destroying us and yet late in the game the quarterback drops back to pass. Looks around the field can't find anybody open , dumps it off in the flat to the running back that's wide open no cowboy within 10 or 15 yds.
The same RB who was torching us all day. I could see HS, maybe college, but pro football?

I wanted Nolans arse.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If the offense was component through 3 quarters it would have took a lot of pressure off the defense.

As I said.... Dak was on pace to lead the entire NFL in turnover and Zeke was a fumble machine. If that was not happening, then our opponents would not have gotten so many opportunities in our own territory to score.

Use logic instead of being so in your feels.
so instead of generalizing, go back and look at actual facts and what happened in the game and where...that's the problem that you look at final stats, and transpose that to a quarter of a game...it just doesn't work that way.

and nice spin to pin the fault on Offense.....so offense's fault for giving up 300 yards rushing? lets say turnovers account for scores, but rushing yards? really

btw, Brady last year threw two pick 6's in games they won....go figure. their defense tightened up and they won the game...they didn't collapse

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
guys can we stop this it was bad what made it historically bad was the first 10 games the offense was turning it over and tied with the eagles for lead lead in TOS,, making bad penalties putting us behind the sticks, punt way too much after dropping key passes etc etc

they piled on bad defense and that included our starters like Dak, zeke and others the first 4.5 games, his TOS gave the defense a short field to defend far too many times..

horrible defense yes, been covered , over covered, been redundant but tired of the word historic that was a team issue from coaching calls like the TG WFT game many of those even from ST etc piled on bad defense and mad eit worse..

playing from behind, taking the run game away , and losing TOP..all piled on the defense..

yes they shoulder some blame thats for sure..

the way i see it from the FO down to the equipment guy is responsible for 6-10

dropping truth bombs!

A bad defense made worse by historically bad run on offensive turnovers that I doubt we will see again from this same group.