CFZ The 2023 “Show Me” Cowboys

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Let’s be honest with ourselves. No matter how good you believe the Cowboys roster and coaching staff is in 2023, the Cowboys are going to have to prove it to win over both fans and critics. The Cowboys have failed so often, and for so long, that no one - not even die hard Cowboys fans - is going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Cowboys could run off 17 straight wins in the 2023 regular season, and EVERYONE, including every Cowboys fan, would still wonder if they can succeed in the playoffs. The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.

The Pittsburgh Steelers won their very first Championship in the 1974 season, after 40 years of being losers. They only made the playoffs once in 39 years, prior to the 1972 season. The Rooney family were perennial losers for decades, tracing back 4 decades, in the NFL in 1933, and another 12 years in the IFL dating back to 1921. No one believed the Rooneys could win a championship in the early 1970’s - until they proved it in the 1974 Super Bowl.

The Cowboys have 3 decades of futility. Just like the Steelers of the early ‘70’s, no one is going to truly believe in the Cowboys until they prove they can win. Complaining about pundits who don’t buy into the Cowboys is a waste of emotion. They’ve earned the doubt.

Here is to hoping that 2023 is finally the year the Cowboys prove they can win.
They have eraned the trust level, they need to go out and disprove the narrative... I like thier chances more this year than most.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Let’s be honest with ourselves. No matter how good you believe the Cowboys roster and coaching staff is in 2023, the Cowboys are going to have to prove it to win over both fans and critics. The Cowboys have failed so often, and for so long, that no one - not even die hard Cowboys fans - is going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Cowboys could run off 17 straight wins in the 2023 regular season, and EVERYONE, including every Cowboys fan, would still wonder if they can succeed in the playoffs. The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.
I agree with your assessment but there are plenty of fans who don't/won't, and it leads to debates. Worse, it becomes you're a "bad" fan if you aren't predicting a SB win.

The divisional round has become the ceiling until a Cowboys team breaks through it, again. July optimism or pessimism doesn't matter. I'll believe this year's team can do it when they show me, but that's just me. If people want to believe otherwise that's fine, too. Neither of us are wrong for feeling how we do about our favorite team.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
dont-ask-questions-just-consume-product.gif
Really ??? That's what you took from what I typed ?????

WOW !!!!! Talk about tone deaf !!!!!!!

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Really ??? That's what you took from what I typed ?????

WOW !!!!! Talk about tone deaf !!!!!!!
And If you want to get down and dirty about it, Yes you dont ask questions, You don't like the product , you don't buy the product.

You go to someone that has the product you want. You don't piss and moan, you spend on what YOU want.

Free Markets my man . FREE MARKETS

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment but there are plenty of fans who don't/won't, and it leads to debates. Worse, it becomes you're a "bad" fan if you aren't predicting a SB win.

The divisional round has become the ceiling until a Cowboys team breaks through it, again. July optimism or pessimism doesn't matter. I'll believe this year's team can do it when they show me, but that's just me. If people want to believe otherwise that's fine, too. Neither of us are wrong for feeling how we do about our favorite team.
I remember the same label put on the Cowboys years with Landry before they won a Super. Remember Bob Lilly throwing his helmet in the air after losing to Miami?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I remember the same label put on the Cowboys years with Landry before they won a Super. Remember Bob Lilly throwing his helmet in the air after losing to Miami?
We beat Miami in Super Bowl VI. He threw his helmet after Super Bowl V last second loss to Colts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our owner has already set the expectation for this season. Championship game or bust.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Regardless whatever fans believe the Cowboys currently own the longest draught in NFL history for teams making the Divisional round without a Championship appearance .

Until we knock that door down the rest is in-quintessential except to some Pom Pom waving fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A big difference on this example regardless that you missed the team and Super Bowl Lilly threw his helmet against is those Cowboys were labeled “ next year champions “ which they held from 1967-1971.

Obviously after winning Super Bowl VI they lost the title after only 5 years. The current Cowboys label is almost 3 decades.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Best thread in a very long time! It's now or never for this era of the Dallas Cowboys. Super Bowl or bust.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

The Pittsburgh Steelers won their very first Championship in the 1974 season, after 40 years of being losers. They only made the playoffs once in 39 years, prior to the 1972 season. The Rooney family were perennial losers for decades, tracing back 4 decades, in the NFL in 1933, and another 12 years in the IFL dating back to 1921. No one believed the Rooneys could win a championship in the early 1970’s - until they proved it in the 1974 Super Bowl.

The Cowboys have 3 decades of futility. Just like the Steelers of the early ‘70’s, no one is going to truly believe in the Cowboys until they prove they can win. Complaining about pundits who don’t buy into the Cowboys is a waste of emotion. They’ve earned the doubt.

Here is to hoping that 2023 is finally the year the Cowboys prove they can win.
Excellent post.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Seriously dude ,what happened to that type of fan? Where you just enjoyed the season and hoped for the best ? Seems like nowadays everyone wants to be a football analyst.

Go Cowboys
Maybe fans are tired of hoping and sick of mediocrity and not getting to the big game in what, 27 years? Just askin'.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Colts Miami who gives a flying fist the points the same. My God you people.
You actually think that being called “ next years champion “ which was a label we only carried for about 4-5 years since we won the championship the following year of your attempted analogy which didn’t even remember we didn’t lose to Miami in a Super Bowl is comparable to the record futility in the playoffs last 3 decades? You people can’t handle the criticism .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Colts Miami who gives a flying fist the points the same. My God you people.
Myself, there presently seems to be a preference to deafness there...and again, 3 points higher and applied IQ is up to sedimentary rock about football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe fans are tired of hoping and sick of mediocrity and not getting to the big game in what, 27 years? Just askin'.
I can’t speak for everyone . I’m sure there is a group of fans who fall under the self entitlement umbrella which is somewhat understandable for a franchise with our glorious history.

For me I have no problem with the lack of success this era . And I realize how fortunate we were the first 35 years . They are my local and favorite team and I’d root them on if they never won another game .

My issue is based more on how we have arrived here in this record setting futility sequence this era and the obstacles and handicaps our dysfunctional ownership presents to Cowboys football.

Last edited: