CFZ The 2023 “Show Me” Cowboys

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Let’s be honest with ourselves. No matter how good you believe the Cowboys roster and coaching staff is in 2023, the Cowboys are going to have to prove it to win over both fans and critics. The Cowboys have failed so often, and for so long, that no one - not even die hard Cowboys fans - is going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Cowboys could run off 17 straight wins in the 2023 regular season, and EVERYONE, including every Cowboys fan, would still wonder if they can succeed in the playoffs. The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.

The Pittsburgh Steelers won their very first Championship in the 1974 season, after 40 years of being losers. They only made the playoffs once in 39 years, prior to the 1972 season. The Rooney family were perennial losers for decades, tracing back 4 decades, in the NFL in 1933, and another 12 years in the IFL dating back to 1921. No one believed the Rooneys could win a championship in the early 1970’s - until they proved it in the 1974 Super Bowl.

The Cowboys have 3 decades of futility. Just like the Steelers of the early ‘70’s, no one is going to truly believe in the Cowboys until they prove they can win. Complaining about pundits who don’t buy into the Cowboys is a waste of emotion. They’ve earned the doubt.

Here is to hoping that 2023 is finally the year the Cowboys prove they can win.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys could run off 17 straight wins in the 2023 regular season, and EVERYONE, including every Cowboys fan, would still wonder if they can succeed in the playoffs.
If it were possible, the very last thing Dallas or any team should do is go undefeated in the regular season. The likelihood is less than .01% of any team in this era of professional football winning a championship while not sustaining one or more losses before the postseason (purely my long-held opinion).

The 2007 New England Patriots should provide a sense of caution that the term undefeated will net you nothing in the end. That team was a pure juggernaut but enforced parity league-wide adds enough adverse variables to the quality of fellow playoff teams for them to finish on top. The New York Giants defensive front four were Tom Brady's kryptonite that uncapped an otherwise historic season run.

Teams do not like to lose. Fans do not like seeing their favorite team lose but a loss or two during the regular season better prepares players and coaches for their postseason run. Personally, I would much rather worry about the Cowboys with one or more loses that qualified for the postseason than contemplating what the team can accomplish without first stumbling somewhere along the way. The most hungry teams have felt the sting of defeat already and try harder not to feel it again.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I don't think Jumbo is literally saying the Cowboys should go undefeated....but just making a point that the regular season may be a great success in terms of W-L.....but when the rubber meets the road, playoff time is when we want to see them improve and show us they are actually back. All this yapping that there is a sense of urgency and we get it now....are just words and that is what we are tired of. No one here can be happy with how long this drought has gone. I know this FO has all the time in the world in their eyes since they keep raking in the dough even with mediocre and average seasons. But fans get no cut of that and our definition of success is on the field.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was going through the late 60's and 70's with this team, there were two seasons, the regular one and the real one. They were making the real one consistently and the question was how far would they go?

Now, that real season has become the only one that a lot of fans care about and the irony is they've been a really poor real season team the last 27 seasons.

It is for sure "show me" or better yet "prove you're not THAT team". The one that disappoints regularly.

The other dynamic at work here is the unmatched coverage of the team. Any other team suffering through this barely gets mentioned but it is the Cowboys, after all.

I fully expect this team to make the playoffs unless the injury bug bites. I do not expect anything beyond that because they are still THAT team until proven otherwise.

And it seems to be the same problem with this team, going back 20 years. When I watch them, I do not see a heightened sense of urgency.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If it were possible, the very last thing Dallas or any team should do is go undefeated in the regular season. The likelihood is less than .01% of any team in this era of professional football winning a championship while not sustaining one or more losses before the postseason (purely my long-held opinion).

The 2007 New England Patriots should provide a sense of caution that the term undefeated will net you nothing in the end. That team was a pure juggernaut but enforced parity league-wide adds enough adverse variables to the quality of fellow playoff teams for them to finish on top. The New York Giants defensive front four were Tom Brady's kryptonite that uncapped an otherwise historic season run.

Teams do not like to lose. Fans do not like seeing their favorite team lose but a loss or two during the regular season better prepares players and coaches for their postseason run. Personally, I would much rather worry about the Cowboys with one or more loses that qualified for the postseason than contemplating what the team can accomplish without first stumbling somewhere along the way. The most hungry teams have felt the sting of defeat already and try harder not to feel it again.
Some failure then must enhance ability to overcome game changers through a more focused required moment. Momentum is definitely a fickled lady in football, any time she raises her head.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't think Jumbo is literally saying the Cowboys should go undefeated....but just making a point that the regular season may be a great success in terms of W-L.....but when the rubber meets the road, playoff time is when we want to see them improve and show us they are actually back. All this yapping that there is a sense of urgency and we get it now....are just words and that is what we are tired of. No one here can be happy with how long this drought has gone. I know this FO has all the time in the world in their eyes since they keep raking in the dough even with mediocre and average seasons. But fans get no cut of that and our definition of success is on the field.
Depends upon when turning events occur.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m gonna enjoy the ride and hope for results such as conference championship and Super Bowl

If it don’t happen oh well

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Let’s be honest with ourselves. No matter how good you believe the Cowboys roster and coaching staff is in 2023, the Cowboys are going to have to prove it to win over both fans and critics. The Cowboys have failed so often, and for so long, that no one - not even die hard Cowboys fans - is going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Cowboys could run off 17 straight wins in the 2023 regular season, and EVERYONE, including every Cowboys fan, would still wonder if they can succeed in the playoffs. The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.

The Pittsburgh Steelers won their very first Championship in the 1974 season, after 40 years of being losers. They only made the playoffs once in 39 years, prior to the 1972 season. The Rooney family were perennial losers for decades, tracing back 4 decades, in the NFL in 1933, and another 12 years in the IFL dating back to 1921. No one believed the Rooneys could win a championship in the early 1970’s - until they proved it in the 1974 Super Bowl.

The Cowboys have 3 decades of futility. Just like the Steelers of the early ‘70’s, no one is going to truly believe in the Cowboys until they prove they can win. Complaining about pundits who don’t buy into the Cowboys is a waste of emotion. They’ve earned the doubt.

Truth....
I have lowered my expectations so much, that any success is icing on the cake anymore with this team....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said Jumbo. This quote from your OP is dead on, “The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.“.

I‘ve said for several years, “Respect is earned by winning playoff games.”

In the next few weeks we will see some pundits and posters here NOT show the Cowboys much love in predicting this next year’s playoff winners. Who cares? This year’s team on paper looks to be one of the better teams in the NFC. But until we prove it in the playoffs, respect will not be in abundance.

Looking good on paper is nice. But winning scoreboards in the playoffs is what defines greatness. I’m looking forward to this year’s team getting the chance to earn some respect.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well said Jumbo. This quote from your OP is dead on, “The Cowboys have EARNED that doubt as an organization. That is the burden of years of failure - even if this particular roster doesn’t deserve the blame for past failures.“.

I‘ve said for several years, “Respect is earned by winning playoff games.”

In the next few weeks we will see some pundits and posters here NOT show the Cowboys much love in predicting this next year’s playoff winners. Who cares? This year’s team on paper looks to be one of the better teams in the NFC. But until we prove it in the playoffs, respect will not be in abundance.

Looking good on paper is nice. But winning scoreboards in the playoffs is what defines greatness. I’m looking forward to this year’s team getting the chance to earn some respect.
and our HC did the same as the cowboys aside from getting to a few champ games. His 15-1 team fell to the giants in champ game in GB.
The team that beat dallas in div game lost the next week to seattle in the miracle win, due to mike letting up and playing not to lose.
And he had rodgers the whole time, now he has dak.

75boyz

Reaction score
What I want to see offensively is that this SB winning HC can effectively call plays after a 5 year layoff and present a game day advantage against opponent coaches on a weekly basis.
Further on offense, the continued decision making by QB1 will be my primary focus. As the change in playcaller will quickly reveal that the play called was not the problem but the poor execution of the play by the QB will be on display for all to see again.

Now on dee...
Now we're talking!
Fired up to watch Quinn's pass rush! I think it's gonna be a sack party!!

But unfortunately I think poor coaching and QB play will ultimately lead to team failure most likely in the division round level once again.

jmo

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Wow............thanks for that brilliant insight.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Kiss the "Frog" and who knows he might turn into a prince.
usa_today_14956783.0.jpg

Our only hope..... or he wears Dorthy's slippers after another Dak egg-laying season and goes back to Mississippi or wherever he came from?
He's pointing to the sky and probably thinks he sees the tooth fairy......

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Steelers didn't have Jerry Jones as owner and GM.
Next, please.......
P.S. And have no fear as our next GM is also gonna be a Jones boy or girl...... :banghead:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
16-Should have been Romo
17-Seattle grinches Prescott
18-Daks Career Achievement vs Seattle
19-9 Points vs the Eagles
20-The injury that led to an overpaid QB
21-Blame everyone not wearing 4
22-Blame 4 exclusively
23-Dak's last stand