The 2024 Season rests on refilling roster with players we lost in FA

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Refilling the roster with the players we lost in free agency, securing the contracts of 3 main guys on this team, drafting well, and cuts from other teams/June cuts? I know every team has to go through this, but i'm not a fan of every team just the Cowboys. So in our perspective, is this what we need to do to have some sort of a season? There's so many holes to fill on this team. Sitting back and waiting for players to be cut, or continuing to scrape what's out there left in free agency.

Someone stated to me "you can't expect all of these rookies you draft to make an impact!" I didn't agree, but sitting back and looking harder into it, it's unrealistic to feel that they'll all have an impact this year. There's learning curves, and they have to get acclimated to the league/game speed. It's a learning curve, I'm not sure the cowboys are thinking straight. Please give your thoughts!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
We are going into the last wave of free agency and still need to replace 5-6 starters. Please don't say well a few may already be on the roster. I'm not sure we have ONE backup who be an upgrade over what we lost. So as it stands right we are likely replacing them with rookies and/or bottom feeders. That is going to put a lot of stress on the season, especially for our elite players.

Creeper

Reaction score
The 2024 season is in all likelihood a lost season. We have to assume that the Cowboys will not be back in this thing until 2026.

I just do not think they can fill all their holes with the draft. And depending on Micah Parsons to provide enough pass rush by himself, or for Mazi to be a stud DT after last year, is folly IMHO.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Winning the NFCE again rests on a few of the youngsters performing well in starting roles.

Flamma

Reaction score
The 2024 season is in all likelihood a lost season. We have to assume that the Cowboys will not be back in this thing until 2026.

I just do not think they can fill all their holes with the draft. And depending on Micah Parsons to provide enough pass rush by himself, or for Mazi to be a stud DT after last year, is folly IMHO.
We will have a down year. They've done nothing to improve the team, and we have a much tougher schedule. Most of the times we can rely on the previous year's drafted players to get better. But what can we expect from last year's players? I'm hoping Mazi breaks out. But how much will that effect the W/L column?

kskboys

Reaction score
Refilling the roster with the players we lost in free agency, securing the contracts of 3 main guys on this team, drafting well, and cuts from other teams/June cuts? I know every team has to go through this, but i'm not a fan of every team just the Cowboys. So in our perspective, is this what we need to do to have some sort of a season? There's so many holes to fill on this team. Sitting back and waiting for players to be cut, or continuing to scrape what's out there left in free agency.

Someone stated to me "you can't expect all of these rookies you draft to make an impact!" I didn't agree, but sitting back and looking harder into it, it's unrealistic to feel that they'll all have an impact this year. There's learning curves, and they have to get acclimated to the league/game speed. It's a learning curve, I'm not sure the cowboys are thinking straight. Please give your thoughts!
Or it rests on resetting this clusterfudge by clearing out the roster for 25.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the upcoming season’s success or failure will hinge on this front office realizing their past roster building approach has not worked and that a new, more modern strategy is needed. Like mixing in some top shelf FAs with a strategic draft.

Chances of that happening: 0%.

NotForLong

Reaction score

Lost? We have a Top 3 WR a QB that many here believe will be extended with a record setting contract because He is a top 5 QB. We have a Future stud that we could plug in 2 positions and one of the greatest to ever do it on the offensive line

We have the Lion who is held every other play. Our CBs are a Ball Hawking tandem

Do you really believe we can not win 10 games again? Theoretically they should be able to do it with a QB that receives such compensation

Come on the season is not Lost. It is status quo

starfan1

Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
We are going into the last wave of free agency and still need to replace 5-6 starters. Please don't say well a few may already be on the roster. I'm not sure we have ONE backup who be an upgrade over what we lost. So as it stands right we are likely replacing them with rookies and/or bottom feeders. That is going to put a lot of stress on the season, especially for our elite players.
You’re kidding right? Who have we lost besides Tyron that’s so terrible and big Hank perhaps

We lost depth maybe a case can be mad for DA but he’s easily replaced

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
but can you tell them that though, they feel good as usual about everything pertaining to the roster

kskboys

Reaction score
Lost? We have a Top 3 WR a QB that many here believe will be extended with a record setting contract because He is a top 5 QB. We have a Future stud that we could plug in 2 positions and one of the greatest to ever do it on the offensive line

We have the Lion who is held every other play. Our CBs are a Ball Hawking tandem

Do you really believe we can not win 10 games again? Theoretically they should be able to do it with a QB that receives such compensation

Come on the season is not Lost. It is status quo
There ya go, just turn this into yet another Dak thread, good idea.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would define it as going 3-14 and getting the first pick in the draft.
I would define success, getting back to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs, not losing 14 games and hoping we hit on the draft pick and not get another bust like Lance or Fields and rebuild every 3 years like many do.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think the upcoming season’s success or failure will hinge on this front office realizing their past roster building approach has not worked and that a new, more modern strategy is needed. Like mixing in some top shelf FAs with a strategic draft.

Chances of that happening: 0%.
More modern strategy, I think that's something you could elaborate on in a post HAZE

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would define it as going 3-14 and getting the first pick in the draft.
What if another team goes 2-15? :muttley: I try always interpreting what Jones expects. Perhaps I am wrong but I do not think Jones is sabotaging 2024 for a high pick--even though that might appear as his plan for outsiders looking in.

That said, I am in wait-and-see mode and asking myself what are his expectations per his offseason moves or lack thereof. Eventual season results will not be an exact byproduct of what he is or is not doing but it should mirror closely to how the season will shake out--barring some devastating injury to a core player that would negatively impact it.

Taking Jones out of my expectations for a moment, I am foreseeing 8-9 at this point-in-time. Quality depth has not yet been adequately addressed, so the team has not gotten better or that much worse. It seems more likely to me regular season results shall regress for the first time in four years but not a major way.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What if another team goes 2-15? :muttley: I try always interpreting what Jones expects. Perhaps I am wrong but I do not think Jones is sabotaging 2024 for a high pick--even though that might appear as his plan for outsiders looking in.

That said, I am in wait-and-see mode and asking myself what are his expectations per his offseason moves or lack thereof. Eventual season results will not be an exact byproduct of what he is or is not doing but it should mirror closely to how the season will shake out--barring some devastating injury to a core player that would negatively impact it.

Taking Jones out of my expectations for a moment, I am foreseeing 8-9 at this point-in-time. Quality depth has not yet been adequately addressed, so the team has not gotten better or that much worse. It seems more likely to me regular season results shall regress for the first time in four years but not a major way.
but why would he be doing this???? come out and say it, we've had split decisions on our starting qb, we've been discussing ways to better spend money etc, let it out!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I would define success, getting back to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs, not losing 14 games and hoping we hit on the draft pick and not get another bust like Lance or Fields and rebuild every 3 years like many do.

Problem is, you're asking for the best of both worlds. Generally, to win in the playoffs, you need the studs you get from going 3-14.