The 2024 Season rests on refilling roster with players we lost in FA

kskboys

Reaction score
What if another team goes 2-15? :muttley: I try always interpreting what Jones expects. Perhaps I am wrong but I do not think Jones is sabotaging 2024 for a high pick--even though that might appear as his plan for outsiders looking in.

That said, I am in wait-and-see mode and asking myself what are his expectations per his offseason moves or lack thereof. Eventual season results will not be an exact byproduct of what he is or is not doing but it should mirror closely to how the season will shake out--barring some devastating injury to a core player that would negatively impact it.

Taking Jones out of my expectations for a moment, I am foreseeing 8-9 at this point-in-time. Quality depth has not yet been adequately addressed, so the team has not gotten better or that much worse. It seems more likely to me regular season results shall regress for the first time in four years but not a major way.
Then I guess we better go 1-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think the upcoming season’s success or failure will hinge on this front office realizing their past roster building approach has not worked and that a new, more modern strategy is needed. Like mixing in some top shelf FAs with a strategic draft.

Chances of that happening: 0%.
I do not understand. This team has been extremely competitive. Even now I am extremely excited about the youth on this team. Judging Jerry because how the season ends is unfair because it is always for one reason. . . and it ain't the Man in the Box Drinking Johnny

I feel they have built this team well and have a formula that has worked. How they handled Dak and his contract is where they have failed and this season is the culmination of that.

No matter what ones opinion is of Lance, he is on the team. This is a talent that a San Fran, which is possibly the top NFC team the last 6 years, paid multiple 1st Rd picks for

For which ever reason he is now on the Cowboys Roster. That is team building

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is, you're asking for the best of both worlds. Generally, to win in the playoffs, you need the studs you get from going 3-14.
Normally, but you also get duds. Studs aren't guaranteed in the early picks. Also, no guarantees that I'll be around to see the possible fruits of suffering through some horrible seasons. I'd rather remain competitive and hope we can add more pieces as we go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but why would he be doing this???? come out and say it, we've had split decisions on our starting qb, we've been discussing ways to better spend money etc, let it out!!
You are asking me? My opinion is not shared by many (not an exaggeration).

I have always thought Jones believes the coaching and player moves he approves (or does not even make) are quality GM decisions he can win with. You and others see glaring roster holes. I do as well but I think Jones intends on eventually filling those holes with more than adequate replacements observers might strongly disagree with. The same is true for coaching at all levels, which he has always been the final decision maker since the mid-1990s.

Jones has demonstrated one quality trait you do not share, regardless if anyone likes it or not. Patience. :)

Then I guess we better go 1-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-14 is a much more realistic assumption than 1-16 I think. ;)

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
We are going into the last wave of free agency and still need to replace 5-6 starters. Please don't say well a few may already be on the roster. I'm not sure we have ONE backup who be an upgrade over what we lost. So as it stands right we are likely replacing them with rookies and/or bottom feeders. That is going to put a lot of stress on the season, especially for our elite players.
Sime people here actually think Mazi will just slide right in for Hankins. Oh, he'll slide right in, and then proceed to get trucked.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You are asking me? My opinion is not shared by many (not an exaggeration).

I have always thought Jones believes the coaching and player moves he approves (or does not even make) are quality GM decisions he can win with. You and others see glaring roster holes. I do as well but I think Jones intends on eventually filling those holes with more than adequate replacements observers might strongly disagree with. The same is true for coaching at all levels, which he has always been the final decision maker since the mid-1990s.

Jones has demonstrated one quality trait you do not share, regardless if anyone likes it or not. Patience. :)

3-14 is a much more realistic assumption than 1-16 I think. ;)
That we might not agree with, sooooooooooooooooooo can I assume get some guys in here just for the YEAR, seems that everyone is on a 1 year deal right now, coach, the qb, the defensive coordinator

Creeper

Reaction score
Lost? We have a Top 3 WR a QB that many here believe will be extended with a record setting contract because He is a top 5 QB. We have a Future stud that we could plug in 2 positions and one of the greatest to ever do it on the offensive line

We have the Lion who is held every other play. Our CBs are a Ball Hawking tandem

Do you really believe we can not win 10 games again? Theoretically they should be able to do it with a QB that receives such compensation

Come on the season is not Lost. It is status quo
I really believe we cannot win 10 games again with all the players we lost. We might win 6 or 7 games because of the players you mention but expecting 3 players to carry this team is just wishful thinking.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I really believe we cannot win 10 games again with all the players we lost. We might win 6 or 7 games because of the players you mention but expecting 3 players to carry this team is just wishful thinking.
I believe the Offensive Line will be the key. If Dak is not under contract in 2025. . . . They will be a huge factor in Dak's finances

Of this team is only capable of winning 6 games then that means Dak struggled and or was benched

I believe they win 10 games with Lance leading them into the playoffs

shabazz

Reaction score
Or it rests on resetting this clusterfudge by clearing out the roster for 25.
Exactamundo. This all being done for the 2025 season, and thats just the start of the reboot.

next years HC selection will dictate the real direction of out team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I believe the Offensive Line will be the key. If Dak is not under contract in 2025. . . . They will be a huge factor in Dak's finances

Of this team is only capable of winning 6 games then that means Dak struggled and or was benched

I believe they win 10 games with Lance leading them into the playoffs
wouldn't that be a great way to end dak's story here!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
We are going into the last wave of free agency and still need to replace 5-6 starters. Please don't say well a few may already be on the roster. I'm not sure we have ONE backup who be an upgrade over what we lost. So as it stands right we are likely replacing them with rookies and/or bottom feeders. That is going to put a lot of stress on the season, especially for our elite players.
Our plan will be to pick up vets that are cut after the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We will have a down year. They've done nothing to improve the team, and we have a much tougher schedule. Most of the times we can rely on the previous year's drafted players to get better. But what can we expect from last year's players? I'm hoping Mazi breaks out. But how much will that affect the W/L column?
Well they can't get worse. So we got that going for us.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lost? We have a Top 3 WR a QB that many here believe will be extended with a record setting contract because He is a top 5 QB. We have a Future stud that we could plug in 2 positions and one of the greatest to ever do it on the offensive line

We have the Lion who is held every other play. Our CBs are a Ball Hawking tandem

Do you really believe we can not win 10 games again? Theoretically they should be able to do it with a QB that receives such compensation

Come on the season is not Lost. It is status quo
It is below status quo. Lets we what trades they make if any this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
but why would he be doing this???? come out and say it, we've had split decisions on our starting qb, we've been discussing ways to better spend money etc, let it out!!
I think you meant split decision at back up QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well they can't get worse. So we got that going for us.
Next season will be very interesting as we're not going to have a lot of pushovers. The Cowboys don't do well against good teams.