The 2024 Season rests on refilling roster with players we lost in FA

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe the Offensive Line will be the key. If Dak is not under contract in 2025. . . . They will be a huge factor in Dak's finances

Of this team is only capable of winning 6 games then that means Dak struggled and or was benched

I believe they win 10 games with Lance leading them into the playoffs
With current roster we will be giving up 200+ yards a game rushing.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This is about the normal time the Clampetts really get into FA, while everyone one else is on to the draft now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is about the normal time the Clampetts really get into FA, while everyone one else is on to the draft now.
We studied the draft while everyone was engaged in free agency. Now we are focusing on free agency, while everyone else is on the draft.

That is shows the GM genius next level thinking of Jethro.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do not understand. This team has been extremely competitive. Even now I am extremely excited about the youth on this team. Judging Jerry because how the season ends is unfair because it is always for one reason. . . and it ain't the Man in the Box Drinking Johnny

I feel they have built this team well and have a formula that has worked. How they handled Dak and his contract is where they have failed and this season is the culmination of that.

No matter what ones opinion is of Lance, he is on the team. This is a talent that a San Fran, which is possibly the top NFC team the last 6 years, paid multiple 1st Rd picks for

For which ever reason he is now on the Cowboys Roster. That is team building
It is most definitely beyond any doubt whatsoever the Man in the Box drinking Johnny. We lost due to poor roster construction. Roster construction is specifically the job of the GM.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Look at it this way.....
We are going into the last wave of free agency and still need to replace 5-6 starters. Please don't say well a few may already be on the roster. I'm not sure we have ONE backup who be an upgrade over what we lost. So as it stands right we are likely replacing them with rookies and/or bottom feeders. That is going to put a lot of stress on the season, especially for our elite players.
I am curious if we may be seeing a slight shift in strategy. Since 2013, the Joneses have been staying out of high-priced free agency, only bringing in bottom-feeders to be placeholders for any players the team decided not pay. This year, we've only brought in one outside FA, and it was one who was cut, so he doesn't count against our comp picks (if I'm correct), and it was a player their new DC wanted to help run his defense on the field.

The evolution of the bottom-feeder strategy could be that since we are only bringing in cheap FAs, why not wait until after the draft? The players available then will still be cheap and we'll have a better idea of what positions need a placeholder. Plus, teams will be cutting players, so any of those we pick up won't count against the comp picks. Since the front office has shown that it is also willing to trade for placeholders, having more comp picks makes that easier as well.

If we're not going to spend anyway to bring in top-quality FAs to improve the team, it makes sense to me to alter the cheap strategy in this way. Why invest in a cheap FA who messes up your draft compensation? Only invest in cheap FAs who don't.

Now, I don't know all the details of how the comp formula works, so I could be off on this. And I don't want to know how the Joneses' minds works, so they may not give their strategy any more thought than ... "Umm, free agency bad." But it was just a thought that came to me.

I do think they will eventually fill any holes that remain (even if they don't do it the way we want), but I just wonder if they have a deeper plan for how they want to do that than their usual one.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I am curious if we may be seeing a slight shift in strategy. Since 2013, the Joneses have been staying out of high-priced free agency, only bringing in bottom-feeders to be placeholders for any players the team decided not pay. This year, we've only brought in one outside FA, and it was one who was cut, so he doesn't count against our comp picks (if I'm correct), and it was a player their new DC wanted to help run his defense on the field.

The evolution of the bottom-feeder strategy could be that since we are only bringing in cheap FAs, why not wait until after the draft? The players available then will still be cheap and we'll have a better idea of what positions need a placeholder. Plus, teams will be cutting players, so any of those we pick up won't count against the comp picks. Since the front office has shown that it is also willing to trade for placeholders, having more comp picks makes that easier as well.

If we're not going to spend anyway to bring in top-quality FAs to improve the team, it makes sense to me to alter the cheap strategy in this way. Why invest in a cheap FA who messes up your draft compensation? Only invest in cheap FAs who don't.

Now, I don't know all the details of how the comp formula works, so I could be off on this. And I don't want to know how the Joneses' minds works, so they may not give their strategy any more thought than ... "Umm, free agency bad." But it was just a thought that came to me.

I do think they will eventually fill any holes that remain (even if they don't do it the way we want), but I just wonder if they have a deeper plan for how they want to do that than their usual one.
I agree but what is so different about their approach this year is they usually plug in a few cheap free agents in positions where we lost starters. But so far they haven't done that but there's still some time. My concern is there's no way in hell we are going to draft 4-5 starters......two, or three max.

Let's put it this way........every playoff team approaches their offseason trying to improve/address what will it take to get to the next postseason level. SO FAR we have taken a step back from even competing for the division, let alone improving our postseason record.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Our plan will be to pick up vets that are cut after the draft.
You think so????? That's risky....
I mean how do you know a player for a position of need is going to be cut after the draft? Especially if you were unable to address the position before the draft. This is why they have plugged these openings with cheap free agents BEFORE the draft. To give them more flex, rather than being backed into a corner trying force picks to fill a need.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We studied the draft while everyone was engaged in free agency. Now we are focusing on free agency, while everyone else is on the draft.

That is shows the GM genius next level thinking of Jethro.
They are really doing both at the same time. Even though it seems they are doing nothing.

Scouts are putting together films and notes together of draft prospects. While others are looking at the FA's available, as well, any possible players that will be released.

I know this concept is new to fans that otherwise don't like anything, but it is what all teams do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but what is so different about their approach this year is they usually plug in a few cheap free agents in positions where we lost starters. But so far they haven't done that but there's still some time. My concern is there's no way in hell we are going to draft 4-5 starters......two, or three max.

Let's put it this way........every playoff team approaches their offseason trying to improve/address what will it take to get to the next postseason level. SO FAR we have taken a step back from even competing for the division, let alone improving our postseason record.
Fans want change, a different direction. And that is what they are getting. But now some do not like it.
It is still early, fans getting on edge, there is a long way to go yet.

Yes it seems we taken a step back in the division based on no moves to other teams mediocre moves. No other team in the division made any drastic moves to say they are a clear favorite in the division.
I will say Dallas currently looks 3rd but there can be a fine line to 2nd or 1st.

Washington will get a QB, but what have they really done to say they are better?
Philly lost players, but replaced them. However, are they any better than last season, a team that imploded?
NYG, well forget about them for now, that team is still a huge mess.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think the upcoming season’s success or failure will hinge on this front office realizing their past roster building approach has not worked and that a new, more modern strategy is needed. Like mixing in some top shelf FAs with a strategic draft.

Chances of that happening: 0%.
You're a year too late. That should of been the plan when we had last year's roster. We're now promoting from within and hoping.....and resetting the CAP.
Of all the: mismanagement, CAP can kicking, paying our own and lack of making that final deal that takes us over the top.... strangely this year's approach seems lucid, even if it's am admission that we're having a down year.
Reset now and employ a professional to rebuild.

khiladi

Reaction score
Winning the NFCE again rests on a few of the youngsters performing well in starting roles.
Too early to tell..

The NFC East is looking to be completely different.

The Commanders may hit on a franchise QB with their pick and they added a lot of FA picks. Their FO is new and they look to be spenders.

The Eagles coaching from a coordinator stand-point was probably the worst in the league and that’s completely revamped.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
wouldn't that be a great way to end dak's story here!!
In essence we should be looking towards 2025, with or without Dak....hence, not overspending (or any spending) on FA's that may fractionally move the needle in 2024.
Don't waste money on band aiding, in hope of some miracle in 2024 (which never materialised with a better all round roster in 2023).
Dak isn't a difference maker....and someone referenced MONEYBALL, well the true aspect of that theory is you don't try and replace the same production from an individual player, you look to utilize the money 'saved' (on the one star player) by improving the whole....in our case, if you build the lines, you help the QB (be it Dak 2016, Purdy or Hurts).
As an aside, Dak can help, if he agrees to a career ending long contract, if not and we pay him $60m in CAP we won't be in a position to give him the protection/running game that a strong O-Line would give him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Commanders may hit on a franchise QB with their pick and they added a lot of FA picks. Their FO is new and they look to be spenders.

The Eagles coaching from a coordinator stand-point was probably the worst in the league and that’s completely revamped
This^^^^^ not too concerned about the Giants and/or Commanders but the Eagles upgraded both coordinator positions. THAT concerns me a bit.....I think they will go as far as Hurts will take them.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It is below status quo. Lets we what trades they make if any this year.
The status quo would of been picking up FA'S, restructuring contracts in a vain hope that we were going to have a better year than 2023.
Reset the CAP, evaluate what we've got in the young roster and look to 2025 (under new coaching team) to build on what we've got.
If fans are worried that we have to win in 2025 because it may be Dak's last season, you deal with the expectation being dashed early rather than in January......unless Dak, seeing the 2025 money plays with a clarity and composure that elevates the team all by himself.
Enjoy Dak trying to prove us doubters wrong.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
In essence we should be looking towards 2025, with or without Dak....hence, not overspending (or any spending) on FA's that may fractionally move the needle in 2024.
Don't waste money on band aiding, in hope of some miracle in 2024 (which never materialised with a better all round roster in 2023).
Dak isn't a difference maker....and someone referenced MONEYBALL, well the true aspect of that theory is you don't try and replace the same production from an individual player, you look to utilize the money 'saved' (on the one star player) by improving the whole....in our case, if you build the lines, you help the QB (be it Dak 2016, Purdy or Hurts).
As an aside, Dak can help, if he agrees to a career ending long contract, if not and we pay him $60m in CAP we won't be in a position to give him the protection/running game that a strong O-Line would give him.
yeah the bigger picture is better to me than giving him that much i'm sorry, I agree with this!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

That's why I think they could possibly be thinking draft first then fill those positions based on what ones we filled in the draft since we're just going to bring in cheap free agents anyway. I mean, why go get one of the cheap RBs left now when it's possible there will be an RB you want to draft there in the second that will be just as good or better? If they are switching to a draft first strategy, then if better values than a running back cause them to take those positions, they could get their cheap FA fill-in afterward (or even by using a 2025 draft pick for a trade).

Reaction score
Refilling the roster with the players we lost in free agency, securing the contracts of 3 main guys on this team, drafting well, and cuts from other teams/June cuts? I know every team has to go through this, but i'm not a fan of every team just the Cowboys. So in our perspective, is this what we need to do to have some sort of a season? There's so many holes to fill on this team. Sitting back and waiting for players to be cut, or continuing to scrape what's out there left in free agency.

Someone stated to me "you can't expect all of these rookies you draft to make an impact!" I didn't agree, but sitting back and looking harder into it, it's unrealistic to feel that they'll all have an impact this year. There's learning curves, and they have to get acclimated to the league/game speed. It's a learning curve, I'm not sure the cowboys are thinking straight. Please give your thoughts!
Not just replace,,, "upgrade"