The 4th and 1

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yeah giving the ball to your best player and the league's leading rusher is one of the dumbest play calls ever. :rolleyes: This is one of the dumbest posts ever.
LOL. Do you even watch the game of football! Let’s run up the gut into an 8-9 man front with the game on the line. You’re obviously as big of an idiot as Linehan.

Creeper

Reaction score
Giving it to Zeke is not a bad call, Running him behind Connor Williams who is trying to block Suh or Donald is not a smart play. You have Zack Martin on the right side If you feel you must run it up the gut then why not behind Martin? And how about a lead blocker? We have no idea what would have worked if they tried it. I just thought that play given who is blocking and who is being blocked was a low percentage play. I would have tried the option with Dak keeping the ball and either running it or throwing for the 2 yards. At that point, I just want to keep the drive alive knowing if I don;t make the 1st down the Rams will likely score and put the game out of reach. Which is what they did.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL. Do you even watch the game of football! Let’s run up the gut into an 8-9 man front with the game on the line. You’re obviously as big of an idiot as Linehan.

They did it twice before and made it, on the goaline and on 4-1

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think it was looney on that play that got blown back to the backfield. Zeke really didn't have a shot.

If we know whats coming watching on TV, the rams sure as hell know what % of the time we run the ball from that formation. That is a horrible play call, that didn't work last week and this week. The bootleg or read option is unstoppable there. Plus add on the fact that the rams db's were playing off all game.

Its almost as if linehan/Garret call the play so they can wipe there hands free of any wrongdoing. "Well we tried to play to our strengths". WRONG!!! You played right into the other teams strength.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Giving it to Zeke is not a bad call, Running him behind Connor Williams who is trying to block Suh or Donald is not a smart play. You have Zack Martin on the right side If you feel you must run it up the gut then why not behind Martin? And how about a lead blocker? We have no idea what would have worked if they tried it. I just thought that play given who is blocking and who is being blocked was a low percentage play. I would have tried the option with Dak keeping the ball and either running it or throwing for the 2 yards. At that point, I just want to keep the drive alive knowing if I don;t make the 1st down the Rams will likely score and put the game out of reach. Which is what they did.

:rolleyes:
Is your post about coaching ? ... wrong, you're wrong, play calling was perfect tonight, so was game planning, scheme, and playbook .

Garrett should win COY .

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

The Rams were setting and waiting for it. It was obvious. Roll out your athletic QB and give him the option to run or pass. Stupid, stupid play call.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score

True it did work once tonight. But that same formation that same play didn't work last week on a key 3rd and 1 against seattle. You don't keep calling that play vs the defenses strength. Eventually they are going to make a play too.

I have yet to see that read option play with dak and zeke be stopped in short yardage. Thats why i'm frustrated.

Dre11

Reaction score
The Rams were setting and waiting for it. It was obvious. Roll out your athletic QB and give him the option to run or pass. Stupid, stupid play call.
They waited for it on two others, your point. You're made about the result.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not just that, but run it to our weak link side of the line with our "very little muscle" right guard and back up center, against a 10 man front. Stupid doesn't begin to describe it. And run it against Suh & Donald.

Dre11

Reaction score
True it did work once tonight. But that same formation that same play didn't work last week on a key 3rd and 1 against seattle. You don't keep calling that play vs the defenses strength. Eventually they are going to make a play too.

I have yet to see that read option play with dak and zeke be stopped in short yardage. Thats why i'm frustrated.

You haven been paying attention , they had guys outside for the read.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I think it was looney on that play that got blown back to the backfield. Zeke really didn't have a shot.

If we know whats coming watching on TV, the rams sure as hell know what % of the time we run the ball from that formation. That is a horrible play call, that didn't work last week and this week. The bootleg or read option is unstoppable there. Plus add on the fact that the rams db's were playing off all game.

Its almost as if linehan/Garret call the play so they can wipe there hands free of any wrongdoing. "Well we tried to play to our strengths". WRONG!!! You played right into the other teams strength.

Also, someone needs to remind Dak to use a hard count every so often in short yardage. That was a perfect opportunity to do so.

Also, the ball spot for that play was horrific. Should have been 4th and about a foot, which puts the sneak in play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Granted defense was bad..... i'm just talking about this specific play. You line up on that play. You bunch everything in close to the line of scrimmage. Have one wr in the formation. Your are essentially telling the defense what you are doing. Zeke had no shot on this play.

There are three things that bother me about this.

1. Your playing right into the strength of the rams defense. Literally right into it.

2. You ran the same play last week in seattle on a 3rd and 1 and got stopped.

3. As you proved in this very same game, the dak zeke read option is impossible to cover on 4th and short.

Its almost as if the coaching staff calls "safe" plays to avoid fan criticism. At the very least linehan has to go.

I think Aikman was right that it was a good time to try to sneak in a big play with play action.

If they're singling Cooper, play action to Zeke, and roll out Dak to run for the first or throw to Cooper.

We weren't effective running, and we're running into their strength with our weakness by running left side between the tackles.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Yeah giving the ball to your best player and the league's leading rusher is one of the dumbest play calls ever. :rolleyes: This is one of the dumbest posts ever.

The problem wasn't giving Zeke the ball that's probably the right choice but there was much better ways we could have done it than having Zeke try to run right up the gut at Suh and Donald...? It was perhaps the dumbest play call in the entire playoffs other than the Aussie drop kicking an onside kick that flew 40 yards.