The 5-2 ...

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
And the tweener between the one biscuit short LB and the SS (Roy)

We've got most of it covered anyway.

And your layout is encouraging..it's why multiple (and REALLY multiple) fronts can work here.

HAha!!

I was actually thinking that!

I agree about the multiple fronts as well. I think we have ton of mix-and match parts here. Watching our D could be a lot of fun!

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I've said all along put your best 11 out there.

Spears has the size to bull rush and engage multiple blockers. Is solid against the run.

Ferguson will force double teams and can collapse the pocket. Is solid against the run.

Glover has had double digit sacks before at DT. Is solid against the run.

Ellis has always applied decent pressure. Is solid against the run.

Burnett has solid cover skills, showed ability to blitz in college. Plays the run well.

Nguyen solid in coverage and in pursuit.

Ware edge rusher who is showing some coverage skills. Played run well in college.

Newman was much better as a rookie in press coverage in a man scheme.

Henry big corner with good coverage skills.

FS ? Davis has shown some ball hawking skills, Glenn could come in in certain sitautions where we play with 3 corners moving Henry to FS.

Williams can play closer with improved corners, where he can help the run defense, short passes, and blitz.

I see a solid 4 man line with great push up the middle, 3 solid blitzers, and 4 players that hold up well in coverage.

I think we're on the same page here ... and you mentioned something else that I agree with, Newman is better in a man scheme. I bet we see a whole lot of man this year ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I see this as a real probability; it's just I see Ware cheating up from a standard 4-3 stance and dropping his hand in the dirt at the last moment.

I agree here ... most likely he'll move up to the line out of the 4-3 making it a transition to the 5-2 ...

Depending on the situation, we may see Roy moved up to the line as well. I love the angles in which we can blitz from - everywhere.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The 5-2 is a great COLLEGE defense, mostly against option teams. OU and Nebraska used to run the 5-2 because of this. It is not, however, a good defense against a team with Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I really like the 5-2 in certain situations... I think against a team running a west coast offense it would be a liability though...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
The 5-2 is a great COLLEGE defense, mostly against option teams. OU and Nebraska used to run the 5-2 because of this. It is not, however, a good defense against a team with Peyton Manning or Donovan McNabb.

It's actually more of a High School defense ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I really like the 5-2 in certain situations... I think against a team running a west coast offense it would be a liability though...

Slow down there, Slappy. I'm not saying we run it as our base. Rather as a situational defense ... more of a transition from the 4-3 as Ravi has stated ... and this isn't going to be your typical high school 5-2 ... it can even become a 5-3-3 with Roy moving up to the box ... it's about the pass rush and getting your best 11 players on the field as BZ has stated.

We're going to get these guys on the field. IMO Ellis is worried about a whole bunch of nothing ... he'll have a role to play, he just doesn't know it yet.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
whoa hold those horses there dippy I said I liked it in certain situations not that it should be run as a base defense...but I think it should not be used at all against a team that runs a west coast offense or any other that can easily audible into a horizontal passing game...

where you got that I wanted to run it as a base I have no idea

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
whoa hold those horses there dippy I said I liked it in certain situations not that it should be run as a base defense...but I think it should not be used at all against a team that runs a west coast offense or any other that can easily audible into a horizontal passing game...

where you got that I wanted to run it as a base I have no idea

I actually meant to direct that post to HH ...

But I like the dippy remark ...

:laugh2: