Twitter: The 69 yard TD run

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Embarrassing is correct. The scheme was clearly okay, but the run defense fits weren’t there. That’s on 1 or 2 players for sure, but it also wasn’t lack of effort. Guys stepped up and took on blocks. No excuses, but bad fits is part of learning a new scheme that isn’t second nature yet.

Jaylon got washed past the cutback lane, blocking Wilson’s angle.
None of the players on defense know what they are supposed to be doing. It's the DCs scheme so it's a coaching issue

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Yeah that looks bad but....

Our left side of the D line all get held bad. All 3 players get hooked/ grabbed by the outside left shoulder pads ( not the inside of the pads) and are twisted away from the play. Watch the players feet, you can see by their foot placement and off balance from those holds that causes them not being able to disengage.

No one is covering up the view of all 3 holds but as usual, the zebras have their blinders on.

search

Reactions: CWR

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
#48 Thomas couldn’t crash because he has be ready to cover the cutback to outside.

I’m not sure what #37 Wilson was waiting on. He’s the last line of defense and should have never let the Drake get past him on an angle.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
#37 had his head up his rear end. #48 had his head up his rear end.

Not the first time for these two. What is alarming is that these two cannot understand the simple things. I doubt either of them knew the play call or cared.

Flamma

Reaction score
That angle tells quite the story. If you know you have gap containment, why are you hesitant to fill your gap? I’ve seen that too many times from the All-22 Angles this season.

This right here. No one attempted to fill the gap. A freaking 9 man front and he ran right through it because all of the defenders beyond the DL were just waiting.

zerofill

Reaction score
Jaylon Gimp on the prowl baby!!!!!!

t really is like that... I thought, he would become good. But that never healed good enough.

I was watching some of the plays he has been in recently, in slow motion... really only focusing on his feet.
He is learning to adapt to it, it isn't right, like it was prior to injury. Not even close...

Basically it is just a liability back there... should just rotate him in on blitz packages. Anything basically straight ahead running.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Yep. #48 had to remember outside contain but he could have filled the gap for a no gain play. But he's thinking the dude might cut it outside and then he's toast. Donovan Wilson is young and messed up - he should have filled the gap immediately after Jaylon pussied out and messed up and looked for contact with the center instead of killing the play at the LOS.

Jaylon was the worst
Wilson was second
#48 could have made the tackle but he would be accused of freelancing and not protecting outside contain, but he could have made the play anyway. IMO

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
For the life of me I don't know why Jaylon engages the center instead of filling the gap, he should get an assist on the block, he did most of the work:facepalm:

I'm one of Jaylon's biggest UnFans, but I'll give him some slack on this. Jaylon is the center's sole concern. The guy who blocked Thomas had to come off a block to do it.