Twitter: The 69 yard TD run

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
None of the players on defense know what they are supposed to be doing. It's the DCs scheme so it's a coaching issue

Not defending Nolan here, but that play is an inside B gap run, fairly basic stuff. If you dont know how to defend an inside B gap run, you have no business being in the NFL.

These are not complicated exotic plays here, these are basic plays every player in the NFL should easily be able to recognize so if you dont know how the hell to defend an B gap run, you dont need new coaches, you need new players.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yeah that looks bad but....

Our left side of the D line all get held bad. All 3 players get hooked/ grabbed by the outside left shoulder pads ( not the inside of the pads) and are twisted away from the play. Watch the players feet, you can see by their foot placement and off balance from those holds that causes them not being able to disengage.

No one is covering up the view of all 3 holds but as usual, the zebras have their blinders on.

search
You got 9 defenders and 6 blockers, I dont give a dam if they ripped their freaking jerseys off they were holding so bad, there is no way in hell that should have been a TD play.

At some point you have to stop blaming the coaches, blaming the scheme, blaming the play calls, blaming the officials, at some point you have to look at the players and come to the conclusion that they just suck and arent good enough. I know that is not a popular thing to say because its hard to fix that, you cant just sign a bunch of new players during the season but it still doesnt change the fact.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Shut up Nolan. Your tenure here will be done come January.
How was that play Nolan's fault. These type of plays have affected the Cowboys all year long. It's Ground Hog Day every time the Cowboys hit the field! I can see a player getting burned a couple of times during the year on gap coverage, but this is a s#$%t show. Jaylon Smith is constantly getting block by lineman and he can't get off the block. Why is this, the dude looks like he can bench press a bus but he can't shed a block?????? Maybe it's time they sit his *** and throw a rookie out there who because Smith isn't doing his job.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Not defending Nolan here, but that play is an inside B gap run, fairly basic stuff. If you dont know how to defend an inside B gap run, you have no business being in the NFL.

These are not complicated exotic plays here, these are basic plays every player in the NFL should easily be able to recognize so if you dont know how the hell to defend an B gap run, you dont need new coaches, you need new players.
Jaylon Smith is WEAK! He's not strong enough to shed blocks. Play after play, game after game he's getting his *** handed to him by mid level linemen. It's not he's facing the Dallas Cowboy O-Line of a couple of years back, no he's getting b@#$%h slapped by 2nd & 3rd string linemen. To be honest with Forumers out there I didn't follow ND when Smith was a "SUPER STAR" in college and I bought into all the hype when he was drafted. Everyone was saying if he could get past his injuries he was going to be a STUD in the NFL. The only thing I'm witnessing is he's turned into a SMART DUD. Reason being there is no other team in the NFL who would gave him the kind of money that JJ signed him for.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is WEAK! He's not strong enough to shed blocks. Play after play, game after game he's getting his *** handed to him by mid level linemen. It's not he's facing the Dallas Cowboy O-Line of a couple of years back, no he's getting b@#$%h slapped by 2nd & 3rd string linemen. To be honest with Forumers out there I didn't follow ND when Smith was a "SUPER STAR" in college and I bought into all the hype when he was drafted. Everyone was saying if he could get past his injuries he was going to be a STUD in the NFL. The only thing I'm witnessing is he's turned into a SMART DUD. Reason being there is no other team in the NFL who would gave him the kind of money that JJ signed him for.

Agreed, Jaylon Smith is playing extremely poorly right now and I would look to move on from him either this year or next.

But that kinda proves my point, its not the scheme that is the problem, its the players.

plymkr

Reaction score
It's like they purposely tried to get out of the way.

Like that tiny special needs kid that runs through an entire college team for 95 yards untouched.
Well we're all special to someone. I bet our defensive guys knew his mom would watch the game and they wanted her to see her special guy get the score. Or all of our guys are special and we have an owner who really likes his special guys. Hard to say which one it is.

The Natural

Reaction score
Xavier Woods ran into nowhere, no instinct whatsoever. Jaylon gets ate up on the block. Joe Thomas has an opportunity to fill the gap and instead sits on his heels like a lame duck. 37, is that the Donovan Wilson fella? What the hell was he doing lol, actively trying to avoid contact.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

I would argue that because is fairly basic as you say and we are consistently making these same mistakes that something is clearly wrong. Mind you that most of these players were on this team just a year ago and while we had moments we were never this bad. What the heck are the players thinking about that they are missing these types of plays? To me that is coaching and I refuse to give Nolan a pass on that.

dfense

Reaction score
Somebody has to shoot that gap. I can see 48 is anticipating a bounce out, but someone has to shoot that gap. Jaylon always lets guards get on him all the time.

Thats why teams get 5 to 6yards a carry. The LBers wait for you to come to them.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Yep. #48 had to remember outside contain but he could have filled the gap for a no gain play. But he's thinking the dude might cut it outside and then he's toast. Donovan Wilson is young and messed up - he should have filled the gap immediately after Jaylon pussied out and messed up and looked for contact with the center instead of killing the play at the LOS.

Jaylon was the worst
Wilson was second
#48 could have made the tackle but he would be accused of freelancing and not protecting outside contain, but he could have made the play anyway. IMO
That's the same way I saw it.

visionary

Reaction score
If we had Snacks in there, there would be no hole and that lineman who took Jaylon out of the play would've been doubling up Snacks and freeing up Jaylon.

but remember, we don’t need big space eating DTs

visionary

Reaction score
The film sessions are littered with simple mistakes that should only be made at the HS level. Busted coverages all over, guys getting washed out 7-10 yards downfield. I'm not enthused with Nolan as DC but the players are equally responsible for this nonsense.

this is what happens when you have 2 of 3 LBs looking to not make contact and bad safeties to go along with a bad DL

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No excuse.

• That is not a scheme issue.
  • Poe is expected to 2-gap, but basically "no"-gaps.
  • Both Jaylon and Joe Thomas played terrible technique. LBs either have to stay back or shoot the gap. Easing into the gap gives the OL an easy block.
  • The coaches were hesitant to play Safety Wilson. Maybe there was a reason...If he had just stayed back 1/2 yard, he could have easily gotten into position. He has to anticipate the LB getting pushed back towards him.

The only player that looked good was practice squad DT Hamilton. He managed to work from outside to inside. Poe needed to make the exact same move but didn't.