Video: The Art Of The (playoff) Choke

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys cannot stop choking in the playoffs, and it’s officially become a thing. After 3 devastating losses in the last 3 seasons (after 3 consecutive 12-5 regular season finishes) the Cowboys officially have a playoff problem. Dak Prescott and Mike McCarthy are on the hot seat heading into the 2024 season, so maybe they can look at past losses to figure out what in the hell is going wrong. This week’s episode uses the coaches all 22 to analyze Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and the team’s playoff woes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The video is focusing entirely on Dak but nothing said about our defensive performances which have been the number one reason why we keep faltering in the playoffs. The dope who put together that video obviously doesn’t have much of a clue or doesn’t follow the Cowboys if he thinks our playoff woes fall entirely on Dak. Funny that he brings up the next generation of QBs and shows a clip of Josh Allen who’s had his share of playoff struggles.

morat1959

Reaction score
He is what he’s always been. This team will take a fall this year unless this years draft is outstanding. Last years draft was one of the worst in history.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The video is focusing entirely on Dak but nothing said about our defensive performances which have been the number one reason why we keep faltering in the playoffs. The dope who put together that video obviously doesn’t have much of a clue or doesn’t follow the Cowboys if he thinks our playoff woes fall entirely on Dak. Funny that he brings up the next generation of QBs and shows a clip of Josh Allen who’s had his share of playoff struggles.
Make your own video. You can break down the defensive failings in the same three games. Link it here, and I'll watch. The whole team falls apart in the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s fair criticism. He’s not a creator like Mahomes. He spends little time focusing on why the team as a hole seems to be playing….tight. But it’s a good point.

Flamma

Reaction score
The only problem I have with people saying the Cowboys choke in the playoffs is, you have to lose to an inferior team, or blow a big lead to consider it a choke. Last year obviously qualifies. But the two years prior do not. The 49ers were not the inferior team.

The team definitely plays tight in the playoffs. You could clearly see it in the first drive to start the second half against the Packers.

plasticman

Reaction score
A "choke" is when the outcome of the game is determined by a series of plays or even a single play late in the game. The play absolutely has to be made. However, a particular player, usually the quarterback, fails to make that play.

What's important to the concept is that the player had the opportunity to make that play but he was unable to do so, typically due to a lack of poise. He was overwhelmed by the critical nature of the consequences.

If a team is down by three TD's by the 3rd quarter then this loss is not a "choke". It cannot be attributed to a single player.

A classic example of a choke would be having the ball on the opponent's five yard line, down by 5 points with 4 seconds left and the QB throws an INT in the endzone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Make your own video. You can break down the defensive failings in the same three games. Link it here, and I'll watch. The whole team falls apart in the playoffs.
It would be one long video going through all the defensive issues we’ve had in the playoffs. From can’t stopping the run or the pass. We’ve had little pass rush and haven’t had a single sack in our last two home playoff losses. We can’t come up with turnovers and our best defensive player has been a no show in four playoff games. A Cowboys player admitted the defense quit against Green Bay. We’re not going to win CRAP with our defense regardless the QB.

jwitten82

Reaction score
It's not all on Dak, but anyone who excuses him for any blame is ridiculous. He's been a big reason why we've haven'tadvanced much, shares equal blame with the defense

jwitten82

Reaction score
It would be one long video going through all the defensive issues we’ve had in the playoffs. From can’t stopping the run or the pass. We’ve had little pass rush and haven’t had a single sack in our last two home playoff losses. We can’t come up with turnovers and our best defensive player has been a no show in four playoff games. A Cowboys player admitted the defense quit against Green Bay. We’re not going to win CRAP with our defense regardless the QB.

Dak admitted he sucked last playoff game too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is tight=Choking.............ya what else is new?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak admitted he sucked last playoff game too.
He didn’t play well but he didn’t give up like our defense. He kept battling while our defense kept folding as the game went on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's not all on Dak, but anyone who excuses him for any blame is ridiculous. He's been a big reason why we've haven'tadvanced much, shares equal blame with the defense
I haven’t seen anyone excuse him of all blame. He’s had his struggles but it’s our defense that’s killing us in the playoffs. When you have a player admitting the defense quit against GB, it’s obvious where the main problem is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The only problem I have with people saying the Cowboys choke in the playoffs is, you have to lose to an inferior team, or blow a big lead to consider it a choke. Last year obviously qualifies. But the two years prior do not. The 49ers were not the inferior team.

The team definitely plays tight in the playoffs. You could clearly see it in the first drive to start the second half against the Packers.

The tightness is a major concern for me. I agree with you that the Niners were not an inferior team talent wise.

What’s harder to stomach as a fan though is the tightness the team has in the playoffs. There’s a psychological factor to it. If you want to win a Super Bowl. The team has to not just be great talent wise, but they also need to be mentally tough and playing their BEST football in the toughest conditions.

The cowboys the last few years have gone into a shell in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
His struggles have killed us in the playoffs too, that's excusing him
His struggles haven’t killed us. It’s our defense not being able to make stops that’s killed us. Dak put up a Cowboys playoff record 403 yards with 41 completions and we scored 32 points but our defense couldn’t stop the Packers. Had Dak played great we would have lost in a high scoring shootout because our playoff defenses are CRAP! You’re just one of those who keeps putting it entirely on Dak and ignores our defensive problems which are glaring.

plymkr

Reaction score

This is a case of 2 independent issues being true at the same time.
1 independent truth: Dak plays “tight” in the playoffs.

2nd independent truth: our defense plays bad in the playoffs.

Me personally, I feel Dak, CD and Micah are more flash than substance. All 3 are regular season stat padders and POOF, gone, David Copperfield disappearing acts in the playoffs and against top competition. This is why I don’t want to sign any of them to long term deals. They’re not gamers, they don’t rise to the occasion, they shrink under the spotlight. This is why I feel paying these guys top dollar will cripple the franchise. What’s the point of great players that disappear in the playoffs?

Dak is a choker. But independent of that so is CD, Micah, McCarthy and the defense. I don’t mind us purging the roster of these guys I just wish we weren’t throwing away 2024 to do it. Just do it now.