The Ashes

Londonboy

Reaction score
Questions to answer.
1) Is Jason Roy a Test Match opener? : Getting out charging down the pitch like a mad bull, when the situation called for gritty resolve and stickability, just simply unacceptable.
2) What's up with Mo? : Moeen Ali Seems to have lost all confidence, not getting runs with the bat and showing little threat with the ball, despite the turning pitch.
3) Who replaces Jimmy? : Doubtful He'll be fit for the next Test, do You go with Archer's Pace and risk Him breaking down (He's only just coming back from a side strain), or do You go with Curran's left-arm swing.
4) How do You stop Steve Smith? : Nobody seems to know, better find out fast or The Ashes will be lost for sure.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Ashes 2nd Test.
England make 2 changes, Fast Bowler Joffra Archer makes His Test debut, replaces the injured Jimmy Anderson, leg spinner Jack Leach replaces out of form off spinner Moeen Ali.
Day 1 rained out.
Day 2 England 258 all out, Australia 30 for 1 in reply.
Aside from Rory Burns, England's shaky top order batting order struggles again, before a late rally led by Jonny Bairstow rescues England, with heavy rain forecast, a draw looks the most likely outcome.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hey LB, nice try at attempting to educate America about cricket. It's taken about 50 years and counting to get football some attention, I reckon about 500 years may be enough to get 'em interested in cricket.

We made a great start anyway, here's to a 5-0 series win.

I actually happen to like cricket too. Two of my cousins used to play it and one of my uncle's did as well. Loads of fun.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Ashes 2nd Test.
England 258 and 258 for 5 Dec
Australia 250 and 154 for 6
Match drawn.

Always likely after losing 5 sessions to rain.
Aggressive declaration by England setting Australia a target of 267 to win in 48 overs, losing early wickets meant that Australia never looked like going after it and settled for a draw, they remain 1-0 up in the series.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
3rd test at Headingley where you’d expect Australia to recall Starc... It’s likely to be a lover of aggressive fast bowling, dream.
If Smith plays is going to be massive, he’s the standout player of the series so far, and if he’s missing it’ll hurt Australia psychologically as much as losing the century he’d probably score.
Let’s hope we get sunshine for it.

Londonboy

Reaction score
3rd test at Headingley where you’d expect Australia to recall Starc... It’s likely to be a lover of aggressive fast bowling, dream.
If Smith plays is going to be massive, he’s the standout player of the series so far, and if he’s missing it’ll hurt Australia psychologically as much as losing the century he’d probably score.
Let’s hope we get sunshine for it.
3rd Test starts Thursday, Aussies are sounding doubtful about Smith being available.
Archer is the most exciting young English quick I can recall seeing, if He stays healthy He's gonna be something special, nobody seems to be able to pick His bouncer, not good when it's coming down at 90+ MPH.:eek:
Need to sort out the top order, Roy doesn't look like a Test opener, Denly gets a start and gets out too often, both need to perform or be replaced.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
3rd Test starts Thursday, Aussies are sounding doubtful about Smith being available.
Archer is the most exciting young English quick I can recall seeing, if He stays healthy He's gonna be something special, nobody seems to be able to pick His bouncer, not good when it's coming down at 90+ MPH.:eek:
Need to sort out the top order, Roy doesn't look like a Test opener, Denly gets a start and gets out too often, both need to perform or be replaced.

Yeah I’ll be surprised if Smith plays, Australia know even if they lose this test, they’re still only needing to win one of the other two to retain the urn.
Archer is lightning... I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s like at the Oval, which is historically the fastest wicket in England.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Ashes 3rd Test.
STEVE SMITH IS OUT, couldn't seem get Him out (not until He'd scored plenty anyway), so Joffra knocked Him out, He's out with a concussion, should be back later in the series.
Australia 179 all out at 1st day stumps.
At one stage the Aussies were 136 for 2 and England's decision to put them in to bat after winning the toss was looking bad, luckily Our new hero Joffra Archer took 6 for 45 to help skittle out the Aussies, the last 8 wickets falling for just 43 runs, with conditions likely to favour batting in the next few days, England are in a strong position.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Ashes 3rd Test.
STEVE SMITH IS OUT, couldn't seem get Him out (not until He'd scored plenty anyway), so Joffra knocked Him out, He's out with a concussion, should be back later in the series.
Australia 179 all out at 1st day stumps.
At one stage the Aussies were 136 for 2 and England's decision to put them in to bat after winning the toss was looking bad, luckily Our new hero Joffra Archer took 6 for 45 to help skittle out the Aussies, the last 8 wickets falling for just 43 runs, with conditions likely to favour batting in the next few days, England are in a strong position.
Yeah, I thought that England are in a strong position after day 1, then I remembered it's England, a team that can throw away any good opportunity. I won't feel comfortable until/unless they have 350 on the board.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that England are in a strong position after day 1, then I remembered it's England, a team that can throw away any good opportunity. I won't feel comfortable until/unless they have 350 on the board.
I hated the decision to bowl 1st, at one stage it was looking grim (though They were bowling well, just not getting any luck) I still have no confidence in Our ability to knock off anything over 150 in the 4th innings on a 4 or 5 day old pitch.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
67 all out has to be one of the most abject batting performances I’ve seen... and having watched Glamorgan since the early 70’s, I’ve seen a lot of poor performances.
You’d expect Australia to get enough to set England 350 to win, an amount that’s not impossible, but the way England are batting, it’s probably 200 too many.

Londonboy

Reaction score
67 all out has to be one of the most abject batting performances I’ve seen... and having watched Glamorgan since the early 70’s, I’ve seen a lot of poor performances.
You’d expect Australia to get enough to set England 350 to win, an amount that’s not impossible, but the way England are batting, it’s probably 200 too many.
Yup, "if the ball aint white, We can't bat right" seems to be the new England cricketing mantra.
LOL at the Glamorgan remark, though as a Surrey fan, I share Your pain.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
This test is proving that you’ll get a more exciting game between two average teams than you do between two great teams, who’ll normally cancel each other out.
England massive favourites at lunch, but you know something is likely to happen....

Londonboy

Reaction score
WOW....just.....WOW.
skynews-england-australia-ben-stokes_4755481.jpg

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Don’t know how you describe this match... Australia had enough chances to win it at the end but unbelievably England (or rather Stokes) won.
Only thing that let it down, was the absolutely abysmal umpiring against both teams... it’s been without question, the worst officiating I’ve ever seen for the entire series.