The assumption of a better GM

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/amp.ft.com/content/aee47536-c48f-11e3-8dd4-00144feabdc0

Well past the Jack Welch anecdote......and the 7-10yr optimal tenute

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m to the point after all of these years that while the old diehard in me still wants us to win , I actually get some satisfaction that Jethro hadn’t figured it out.

It’s been a twisted ride with this SOB. A love/ hate relationship where Im rooting for the players success but get a chuckle from the owner losing .
Funny you mention.

I was thinking earlier I can't stand that guy so much that I don't want to see him win....and give him ammo for trying to spin it as if he ever had a clue.

Yet there I am rooting every week.

I dont think I'll ultimately have a problem.

I just wonder how much longer fans will allow this.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The majority of us want the owner to hire a GM and turn it over to him, at least that's my take.

There are others that want him to step down and turn it over to his son, which defies all known logic to me....and mankind.

But let's say he does decide to hire a GM. Is he going to hire one better than he's been or one worse? His ego is tied up with his team. Another's success accentuates his failure.

Who do you think might have been his first one he hired? Larry Lacewell? Hiring friends is as bad as hiring family.

Look at who Snyder turned his team over to in the beginning, that Sopranos cat Vinny Cerrato, the Lions let Matt Millen sink their ship and Snyder upped his play when he hired a drunk as his GM who promptly got hammered in the coaches booth, got kicked out and ended up in the press box and fired.

We're beginning to see turnover at the GM level that rivals HC's and does the owner's hiring of HC's give us a clue as to his hiring of a GM?

Be careful of what you wish for and before anyone writes they couldn't do any worse, oh yes, they could do a lot worse.

Our two best hopes are that 1) he finally gets it, begins working full time and is able to be a top rate GM or 2) we get lucky. I am not so sure I would hope that he hire a GM.
After 25 years of failure by the GM you want us to be careful what you wish for? You mean more of the past 25 years or a real GM? Give me a real GM and I'll take my chances.

Big_D

Reaction score
Beggars can’t be choosers. Anyone but Jerry and I do mean anyone! Sadly that’s not even an exaggeration!

aria

Reaction score
Great discussion Coach. I’ve often addressed this over the years.

Despite how we all would like a new GM which is something we should all be United on we must realize that our Football Idiots have outperformed much of the bottom tier franchises in the league. And they should be terribly embarrassed they couldn’t out perform our dysfunctional organization.

But at least in a more normal environment they have the opportunity to finally get it right and potentially make improvement even if they get it wrong for years eventually hiring the right guy. Something we have little hope with.
Die, over the past 25 years who have they outperformed? I’m talking playoff success, I don’t care about meaningless 8-8 seasons adding up to more wins. Off the top of my head even the Jets and Browns have outperformed the Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Die, over the past 25 years who have they outperformed? I’m talking playoff success, I don’t care about meaningless 8-8 seasons adding up to more wins.
Well, there’s been several teams. Lions , Skins just off the top of my head. That’s who our peers are now. There’s others.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's a comforting thought for some, I suppose. It obviously works for you. The problem is no GM has the same job for 25 years with Jerry's results. He'd have fired himself 20 years ago were it someone else.

It's not just the lack of success, although that's a big part of it, it's the hypocrisy and nepotism that come along with it. People scream for accountability when what they really mean is give us another scapegoat.
For the 5,000th time, the 25 year cutoff is absolutely stupid. You can take a 25-year period for just about every franchise and say the exact same thing. How many GMs have the job for 6 years and win 3 Super Bowls? What is the actual difference between having 1 GM, with a track record of winning Super Bowls, and recycling through them to the same effect?

Idk what this last line means, you're the one who is looking for another scapegoat.

aria

Reaction score
Well, there’s been several teams. Lions , Skins just off the top of my head. That’s who our peers are now. There’s others.
I know there’s a few because I remember someone recently listing them, it wasn’t a sarcastic question, but I don’t remember it being several.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know there’s a few because I remember someone recently listing them, it wasn’t a sarcastic question, but I don’t remember it being several.
Bengals is another . Probably Jags. Browns for sure. Bills just won their first playoff game in 20 years. That’s without looking it up.

aria

Reaction score
For the 5,000th time, the 25 year cutoff is absolutely stupid. You can take a 25-year period for just about every franchise and say the exact same thing. How many GMs have the job for 6 years and win 3 Super Bowls? What is the actual difference between having 1 GM, with a track record of winning Super Bowls, and recycling through them to the same effect?

Idk what this last line means, you're the one who is looking for another scapegoat.
Because no one in their right mind keeps someone who has a record of mediocrity and failure for that long. Do you think a board of directors keeps the same CEO for 25 years after tanking the company because they had lots success almost for 3 years, almost 3 decades ago, and ruined that success due to their ego (or any other matter)?

That has to be one of the worst comments I’ve read on here in a long time. I can’t believe someone, or a few, people are actually supporting Jerry the GM and don’t think change is needed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Because no one in their right mind keeps someone who has a record of mediocrity and failure for that long. Do you think a board of directors keeps the same CEO for 25 years after tanking the company because they had lots success almost for 3 years, almost 3 decades ago, and ruined that success due to their ego (or any other matter)?

That has to be one of the worst comments I’ve read on here in a long time. I can’t believe someone, or a few, people are actually supporting Jerry the GM and don’t think change is needed.
The difference is that there is no recipe for success to win a Super Bowl. Jerry is a phenomenal CEO, if you want to compare the Cowboys to a business (which, it is).

Have you ever actually read your own posts though? Did I say I don't think there should be a change? No. Go back to whining about Zeke.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny you mention.

I was thinking earlier I can't stand that guy so much that I don't want to see him win....and give him ammo for trying to spin it as if he ever had a clue.

A lot longer, they line up like sheep to be fleeced and are the least demanding fanbase in the league.

I have, for more years than I care to count, taken his sad or pissed off face as elixir for a loss and it has reached the point where it's a wash, win and I win, lose and I win. I am not really vested either way.

I also chalk this up to maturing, some would call it aging and I would call them rude, and my passion ebbing for many things but I really don't think so. I still have the passion for the things in life that bring me joy, wine, women and song.

I accepted what this was some years back, before I ever come here. And I am not the worse for it so I don't blame Booger for running his business as he sees fit. I am just a witness to it and don't really have anything vested in it but history and that's OK with me.

My other problem with the Cowboys is the number of players they've had and have that I don't like so it's makes it easy to let the passion slide. Sometimes I wish Booger had signed vick, then I would have been gone forever. I was halfway hoping he would do it.

I've said this before but that does not preclude me from repeating it. If it were not for this forum and the one before it where I hung out or the people on them I should say, I doubt I would even watch them play. I have to watch now to have anything to add to a conversation even though I often get accused of not watching the game. Or ever to have watched a game.

Man, in the grand scheme of things this team ain't no thing. And is becoming less of one every year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Some Homers defend anything under the Star.

But there are some fans still emboldening Jethro's ways as GM. The old he won Super Bowls 25 years ago. Those type of fans not worth responding too.

aria

Reaction score
Bengals is another . Probably Jags. Browns for sure. Bills just won their first playoff game in 20 years. That’s without looking it up.
Jags have made it to 3 Conference championships in the past 25 years and have won 7 other playoff games compared to our 3.

You are correct about the Browns, I was wrong on that and won’t edit it so I can eat a plate of crow.

Correct on Bengals, they have 7 playoff appearances with no wins compared to our 11 appearances and 3 wins.

aria

Reaction score
The difference is that there is no recipe for success to win a Super Bowl. Jerry is a phenomenal CEO, if you want to compare the Cowboys to a business (which, it is).

Have you ever actually read your own posts though? Did I say I don't think there should be a change? No. Go back to whining about Zeke.
Lol, I whine about zeke and then people like you to tell me to stop whining about zeke. I know it will give you a headache making such a difficult decision but make up your mind.

Jerry is a good business owner because he has homers like you padding his pockets no matter the outcome nor the product. As far as winning football, he sucks.

You “imply” there is no need for change by saying he’s “just as good/bad as every other GM” and then go on to say “most folks on this board who are critical of Jerry clamor for "get a football person in place." When that happens, you get Bill O'Brien lol”.

So you’re clearly not critical of Jerry by that statement which implies you don’t think there should be a change. You mock people who want a “football guy” and think he’s no better or worse than any other GM out there so I’m supposed to believe you want change based on those statements?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny you mention.

Local fans are walking away in droves but our national following and all the migrants from other states moving in are bringing their fandom with then buying up the tickets.

Dallas is a winners town and why we were losing money in late 80’s. But there’s too many opposing fans filling the stadium , afar fans and haters still tuning in.

Local TV viewership has been below 30% for many games. The NFL average is mid 40’s % for home broadcast games.

But the Cowboys continue leading league in revenue , mainly because of largest stadium. It’s average over $10,000 a year for 2 season tickets. Highest in the league. $75 to park. Who cares who shows up. It’s really sad.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The majority of us want the owner to hire a GM and turn it over to him, at least that's my take.

There are others that want him to step down and turn it over to his son, which defies all known logic to me....and mankind.

But let's say he does decide to hire a GM. Is he going to hire one better than he's been or one worse? His ego is tied up with his team. Another's success accentuates his failure.

Who do you think might have been his first one he hired? Larry Lacewell? Hiring friends is as bad as hiring family.

Look at who Snyder turned his team over to in the beginning, that Sopranos cat Vinny Cerrato, the Lions let Matt Millen sink their ship and Snyder upped his play when he hired a drunk as his GM who promptly got hammered in the coaches booth, got kicked out and ended up in the press box and fired.

We're beginning to see turnover at the GM level that rivals HC's and does the owner's hiring of HC's give us a clue as to his hiring of a GM?

Be careful of what you wish for and before anyone writes they couldn't do any worse, oh yes, they could do a lot worse.

Our two best hopes are that 1) he finally gets it, begins working full time and is able to be a top rate GM or 2) we get lucky. I am not so sure I would hope that he hire a GM.
Hire The Jimster
He would be good.
Great talent evaluator

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A lot longer, they line up like sheep to be fleeced and are the least demanding fanbase in the league.

I have, for more years than I care to count, taken his sad or pissed off face as elixir for a loss and it has reached the point where it's a wash, win and I win, lose and I win. I am not really vested either way.

I also chalk this up to maturing, some would call it aging and I would call them rude, and my passion ebbing for many things but I really don't think so. I still have the passion for the things in life that bring me joy, wine, women and song.

I accepted what this was some years back, before I ever come here. And I am not the worse for it so I don't blame Booger for running his business as he sees fit. I am just a witness to it and don't really have anything vested in it but history and that's OK with me.

My other problem with the Cowboys is the number of players they've had and have that I don't like so it's makes it easy to let the passion slide. Sometimes I wish Booger had signed vick, then I would have been gone forever. I was halfway hoping he would do it.

I've said this before but that does not preclude me from repeating it. If it were not for this forum and the one before it where I hung out or the people on them I should say, I doubt I would even watch them play. I have to watch now to have anything to add to a conversation even though I often get accused of not watching the game. Or ever to have watched a game.

Man, in the grand scheme of things this team ain't no thing. And is becoming less of one every year.
Cowboys are an Iconic and popular brand. But not a good product on the field.

We are like the Bud Lt in beers. #1 selling and most popular Iconic brand but not the best beer.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Jerry wouldn't allow the GM job to go to anyone else but a Jones. Stephen won't be an upgrade.