The Bears did us no favor but Chiefs will tonight

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Philly would have to collapse.

Zooming out, it would be 9-1 to win the division. It's not impossible, but pretty unrealistic.
Not really. Beating KC in KC is a tall order. If that happens Dallas is a game out and plays Philly in 20 days with Philly still having to play Buffalo and 49ers first.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not really. Beating KC in KC is a tall order. If that happens Dallas is a game out and plays Philly in 20 days with Philly still having to play Buffalo and 49ers first.
Right but this math assumes that the Cowboys aren't going to lose a game or two here and there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yep. In all honesty, we would likely need the Eagles to lose the next four (Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, us - or lose three of these and then drop a crazy game somewhere else like the Giants) to have any glimmer of hope and even then, it would require us basically winning out or losing just one more game which seems unlikely.

Amazing how much damage that Cards loss has on the standings for us. If we had won that game, we'd be in pretty decent shape.
It's kind of a moot point with the Eagles losing to the Jets.

Sydla

Reaction score
But even then you'd have to assume we win out or only lose 1 game over the next 8. How likely is that?

In all reality, we need to finish one game clear of Philly. If you game out the season, we lose on most tiebreakers if we finish with the same record.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Too many fans think the NFL revolves around the Cowboys, but you know, when you have no faith in your team. You try to have faith other teams can do you a "favor". Whatever the heck that means. Do other teams plan for teams doing them a favor, or do they handle their business?
Helped your insult blurb out a bit ....

My post was a positive up beat post... I don't see the issue in it. I certainly don't think the NFL revolves around the Cowboys, but I DO think they revolve around the message board about the Cowboys (you know the place I posted).

Enjoy being miserable though my guy.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I think Philly loses tonight. I also think it won’t matter. If Dallas stays sharp through the harder games coming up, then they will take the division. If they feel themselves after this little streak, and prioritize the media coverage and podcasting, then they will be wildcarders once again.

This is a cycle but I hope they break it. This is a key time for the veterans of the team to keep some of these players focused on the work, and the details.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Philly beats the Chiefs tonight the Cowboys will be one big step closer to playing for wildcard. Philly needs to lose at least one of their next two games or we’re not catching them. Unfortunately their next two games are at home.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
You wanna root for Detroit, actually.

That way if Dallas ends up with the 5 seed.... its a date with Detroit at Ford Field in the divisional round. We play well against Detroit usually. That defense is nothing special... it's been scored on by Geno Smith, Justin Fields, and Justin Herbert.

Unless Seahawks upsets the Niners/Eagles or the Vikings upset the Niners/Eagles which I suppose could happen too.

Sydla

Reaction score
Common games is the tiebreaker before conference.
https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

Unless Philly loses to KC AND Buffalo, it will pretty much be impossible for Dallas to catch Philly without a better conference record.
Yes, the Jets and Cards cancel each other out. But if you game out the season and realistically look at wins and losses for both teams, the Cowboys mostly like lose the common games matchup (we lose to Buffalo, they win or we both lose or win but they beat San Fran) or we tie common games which means it goes to conference record. The Cards game looms large. If we had beaten them, the common games and conference record scenario is more favorable to us.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a little weird, but if the Chiefs beat the Eagles tonight, that pretty much guarantees the Eagles win any tiebreakers with the Cowboys. Of course, it helps the Cowboys toward having a better record than the Eagles and winning the division that way.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, the Jets and Cards cancel each other out. But if you game out the season and realistically look at wins and losses for both teams, the Cowboys mostly like lose the common games matchup (we lose to Buffalo, they win or we both lose or win but they beat San Fran) or we tie common games which means it goes to conference record. The Cards game looms large. If we had beaten them, the common games and conference record scenario is more favorable to us.
It's still early.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I suppose if we wanna overtake Philly, they have to lose to the 49ers. And one of the Bills and Seahawks. And we have to beat the Bills, the Dolphins, and the Seahawks. So that means pretty much the only remaining loss we can take is Detroit.