CFZ The best Cowboys WR most fans have never heard of

12+88=7

Reaction score
Declining is a relative term. It does not mean bad.

He was a rookie with 2 regular season catches in 1977 when they won the last Landry era Super Bowl.

Then they had 1 Super Bowl loss, then the final 8 years of Hill's career they had zero Super Bowl appearances.

They never had more than 3 seasons without a Super Bowl appearance since the inception of the Super Bowl until the streak of no Super Bowl appearances starting in 1979 and stretching thru to 1992.

For Cowboys fans of the mid/late sixties and seventies that was a decline.

The decline for me started after the 3rd loss in the NFC Championship game.

After losing to LA 20-0 in the playoffs in 1985 that was the official end of the Dallas dynasty.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The original #80. Tony “Thrill” Hill is IMO one of the top 4-5 receivers in Cowboys history. And most Cowboys fans know little to nothing about him.

Tony Hill was drafted in the 3rd round in 1977, and after a slow rookie season, he led the Cowboys in receptions, yards and TDs for the next 9 seasons.

In 1979, Hill and Drew Pearson- along with the great Tony Dorsett- became the first team in NFL history to have two 1,000-yards WRs and a 1,000-yard RB, when he recorded 60 receptions, 1,062 yards and 10 TDs. Pearson and Hill also became the first WR tandem in Cowboys history, to record 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the same year.

Hill was often in the shadow of the OG #88, HOF WR Drew Pearson who made the NFL’s 70s All Decade Team. But Hill had a surprisingly great career. Here are some of his highlights:
  • Tony Hill had more career yards than Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant, making him 3rd all time in receiving yds in team history.
  • He led the team in receptions 9 straight seasons from 1978-86.
  • Hill played in 17 playoff games in his 10 seasons, including 2 SBs and 5 NFC championships. He caught a thrilling TD reception in SB XIII against the Steelers.
  • Averaged 16.7 yds per reception for his career.
  • Had a whopping 26 games of 100 yds or more receiving.
  • He caught passes in 59 straight games.
  • Hill was named to the Cowboys 50 year anniversary team.
  • Hill should be in the ROH.
The next time a list of the all time great Cowboys receivers is made, don’t forget about Tony “Thrill” Hill. I have him as the 4th best WR in Cowboys history behind only Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, and Bob Hayes.
A real FAN knows exactly who he is....click bait....what self respecting Cowboys fan doesn't know who Tony Hill is?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just quoting you…you said, “He is overlooked because the bulk of Hill's career was in the years when the team was declining.” But it wasn’t declining until the last two years of his career.
Yes, it was a decline in Super Bowl appearances.

The 2021 team had a 12-5 record, but in the minds of most fans they were a complete failure...just read the threads...the threads that you didn't create...

Super Bowl appearances are what propel most really good players into being remembered as great.

If Romo had made it to a Super Bowl, he would be remembered as a great player instead of just a very good player.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Cowboys best years are behind them….may as well spend most of the time here reminiscing
Been a lot of that going on this month here at CZ:
1) The best Cowboys WR....
2) The Good Guys
3) Mt. Rushmore of Cowboys
4) Best Quarterbacks in NFL History Tier List
5) Cowboys Top 5 All Time List
6) Fun List of a team comprised of Cowboys Greats

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The decline for me started after the 3rd loss in the NFC Championship game.

After losing to LA 20-0 in the playoffs in 1985 that was the official end of the Dallas dynasty.

That's like saying that a guy that jumped out of an airplane without a parachute "declined"...:D

Nov. 17, 1985
Bears 44, Cowboys 0

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
The original #80. Tony “Thrill” Hill is IMO one of the top 4-5 receivers in Cowboys history. And most Cowboys fans know little to nothing about him.

Tony Hill was drafted in the 3rd round in 1977, and after a slow rookie season, he led the Cowboys in receptions, yards and TDs for the next 9 seasons.

In 1979, Hill and Drew Pearson- along with the great Tony Dorsett- became the first team in NFL history to have two 1,000-yards WRs and a 1,000-yard RB, when he recorded 60 receptions, 1,062 yards and 10 TDs. Pearson and Hill also became the first WR tandem in Cowboys history, to record 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the same year.

Hill was often in the shadow of the OG #88, HOF WR Drew Pearson who made the NFL’s 70s All Decade Team. But Hill had a surprisingly great career. Here are some of his highlights:
  • Tony Hill had more career yards than Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant, making him 3rd all time in receiving yds in team history.
  • Hill played in 17 playoff games in his 10 seasons, including 2 SBs and 5 NFC championships. He caught a thrilling TD reception in SB XIII against the Steelers.
The next time a list of the all time great Cowboys receivers is made, don’t forget about Tony “Thrill” Hill. I have him as the 4th best WR in Cowboys history behind only Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, and Bob Hayes.
Everyone has heard of Tony Hill but few remember his greatness.. I truly appreciate this thread, because it begs the question why isn't he a Hall of Famer??

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Never forget that TD pass reception against the Skins from Roger
when they came back to win by a point in Texas Stadium.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Does Tony have better career numbers than Drew?
If so, strong case for him being in the HOF and ROH.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Going from Roger to Danny was a decline. There's a big difference between regular season success and playoff success. I don't know if it was Danny's fault or the defense's fault, but they just couldn't get to the mountain top in those days. One SB victory would have changed the way people look at White, Hill and that whole era. The same goes for Romo and now Dak.

Defense wins championships, but the offense takes the bulk of the blame. That's just the way it is.

cowboyec

Reaction score
great big play receiver.
easily one of the 5 greatest receivers in our rich history.
:bow:80:bow:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Hill owns one of the three most vivid catches in my Cowboys history. Staubach to Hill for 6 to beat the Skins and knock them out of the playoffs, 35-34.

The other two were Drew's immaculate reception and Butch "Six Guns" Johnson's diving catch as he crossed the end zone in the 77 SB.

When I think of the WR's in Cowboys history: Bob Hayes, Lance Alworth, Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens and Dez Bryant, we had some very special WR's.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Tony Hill owns one of the three most vivid catches in my Cowboys history. Staubach to Hill for 6 to beat the Skins and knock them out of the playoffs, 35-34.

The other two were Drew's immaculate reception and Butch "Six Guns" Johnson's diving catch as he crossed the end zone in the 77 SB.

When I think of the WR's in Cowboys history: Bob Hayes, Lance Alworth, Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens and Dez Bryant, we had some very special WR's.
great list.

Motorola

Reaction score
……my positive point was stating “ may as well spend time reminiscing”

never said there was anything wrong with it
Your negative point (which preceeded your positive one)-
The Cowboys best years are behind them....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Tony have better career numbers than Drew?
If so, strong case for him being in the HOF and ROH.
IMO he’s not HOF worthy. But he’s ROH worthy. He does have more career yards than Drew Pearson and Bob Hayes. He’s second only to Irvin in number of career 100 yd games with 26. But I don’t think he’s HOF material.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
No receiver on the cowboys was better than TO. You can argue that some other guys had longer and better Cowboy careers, but none of them were a better receiver than TO.
T.O. was indeed a great WR but he was a selfish malcontent that divided locker rooms and would inevitably become his QB's worst enemy. Granted he made plays and scored touchdowns, but in a team sport like football more is required.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thrill Hill wasn’t an unknown . When I read the title I was thinking this could be about Frank Clarke.Cowboys first good starting receiver.

12+88=7

Reaction score
That's like saying that a guy that jumped out of an airplane without a parachute "declined"...:D

Nov. 17, 1985
Bears 44, Cowboys 0

That was the playoff game that year.

The last hurrah.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Cowboys best years are behind them…

As if there will be nothing good going forward....so hence, the reminiscing comment, as if that is all that will be.
I guess Detroit, Cleveland, can never reminicse then. :laugh:

….”.better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all”

the Patriots message board might resemble ours 20 years from now:D

Hope is a very powerful force…… Micah Parsons gives me hope

shabazz

Reaction score
Your negative point (which preceeded your positive one)-
The Cowboys best years are behind them....

of course. Classic case of cause and effect……I like balance in most things

the point was that I wished we could celebrate current success. If we did, threads like this one would be an excellent choice for our current “History Zone” that exists.

because of the lack of current success we now live in the past, primarily