CFZ The best Cowboys WR most fans have never heard of

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don’t know how any true Cowboy fan wouldn’t know about Tony Hill. I guess real young ones that aren’t interested in team history might be uninformed, but it’s not like Hill was a jag. He was a very good receiver.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll be hoping WR, Jalen Tolbert, eventually develops into an upcoming Drew Pearson for the Cowboys. Hopefully he'll display many of the qualities that Pearson had, when it comes to being bold going up the middle for passes. At least he'd done so exceptionally well in college. It's definitely a big step up that's yet to come, however. I'd imagine he'll be nervous in his initial outings, though.

I'm sure it's a longshot to ask, so soon. He surely made a dramatic impression upon those witnessing his performance so far in practice. He'll likely be allowed an exceptional amount of action with Michael Gallup being absent early in the season. Good luck, young man, in your quest to find success. You'll be watched attentively -- that's for doggone sure! ;)

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The original #80. Tony “Thrill” Hill is IMO one of the top 4-5 receivers in Cowboys history. And most Cowboys fans know little to nothing about him.

Tony Hill was drafted in the 3rd round in 1977, and after a slow rookie season, he led the Cowboys in receptions, yards and TDs for the next 9 seasons.

In 1979, Hill and Drew Pearson- along with the great Tony Dorsett- became the first team in NFL history to have two 1,000-yards WRs and a 1,000-yard RB, when he recorded 60 receptions, 1,062 yards and 10 TDs. Pearson and Hill also became the first WR tandem in Cowboys history, to record 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the same year.

Hill was often in the shadow of the OG #88, HOF WR Drew Pearson who made the NFL’s 70s All Decade Team. But Hill had a surprisingly great career. Here are some of his highlights:
  • Tony Hill had more career yards than Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant, making him 3rd all time in receiving yds in team history.
  • He led the team in receptions 9 straight seasons from 1978-86.
  • Hill played in 17 playoff games in his 10 seasons, including 2 SBs and 5 NFC championships. He caught a thrilling TD reception in SB XIII against the Steelers.
  • Averaged 16.7 yds per reception for his career.
  • Had a whopping 26 games of 100 yds or more receiving.
  • He caught passes in 59 straight games.
  • Hill was named to the Cowboys 50 year anniversary team.
  • Hill should be in the ROH.
The next time a list of the all time great Cowboys receivers is made, don’t forget about Tony “Thrill” Hill. I have him as the 4th best WR in Cowboys history behind only Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, and Bob Hayes.
I think you're wrong once again. Cowboys fans have most certainly heard of Tony Hill. This just shows how little you think of Cowboys fans.

RaZon

Reaction score
The original #80. Tony “Thrill” Hill is IMO one of the top 4-5 receivers in Cowboys history. And most Cowboys fans know little to nothing about him.

Tony Hill was drafted in the 3rd round in 1977, and after a slow rookie season, he led the Cowboys in receptions, yards and TDs for the next 9 seasons.

In 1979, Hill and Drew Pearson- along with the great Tony Dorsett- became the first team in NFL history to have two 1,000-yards WRs and a 1,000-yard RB, when he recorded 60 receptions, 1,062 yards and 10 TDs. Pearson and Hill also became the first WR tandem in Cowboys history, to record 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the same year.

Hill was often in the shadow of the OG #88, HOF WR Drew Pearson who made the NFL’s 70s All Decade Team. But Hill had a surprisingly great career. Here are some of his highlights:
  • Tony Hill had more career yards than Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant, making him 3rd all time in receiving yds in team history.
  • Hill played in 17 playoff games in his 10 seasons, including 2 SBs and 5 NFC championships. He caught a thrilling TD reception in SB XIII against the Steelers.
The next time a list of the all time great Cowboys receivers is made, don’t forget about Tony “Thrill” Hill. I have him as the 4th best WR in Cowboys history behind only Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, and Bob Hayes.

Well aware of Tony Hill have his rookie card.

Then there was Frank Clarke, first Cowboy 1000 yard receiver.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Statistically Hill was as good or better than Pearson, but I think the reason Pearson stuck out more than Hill is because of the clutch catches Pearson made in big moments. Same reason people tend to remember Lynn Swann more than John Stallworth.

conner01

Reaction score
I remember Tony Hill. He was a great WR!!! And I agree with you in that a lot of people tend to forget just how great of a WR he was!! :thumbup:
He was a big play guy
Really good player though the only reason he has more yards than dez is he played two years longer
But he also played at the time a WR didn’t get the targets of today either

conner01

Reaction score
I liked Tony Hill as much as I did Drew Pearson. Yes ROH worthy.
To put up the numbers they did in the game in those days is pretty amazing. Targets weren’t tracked back then but teams passed a lot less so the WR got a lot less chances

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Every generation of a Cowboys fan has their own opinion of who the best players were/are at their position. My opinion as Dallas's best WR is the one & only, Michael Irvin.

When you Google Cowboys best WR of All-time Irvin comes up at #1 as he does in any sports page you pull up!

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Two of my favorite highlights of Hill’s career-
1. His TD catch in SB XIII. Drew Pearson made a tremendous deceptive block on that play. Here’s a link to the SB 13 highlights. Hill’s TD is at :32 seconds in the video:
2. His TD catch in ‘79 to beat the dead skins to clinch the NFC East in that great comeback. Here’s a highlight video of that game:

Geez, I didn't realize the Cowboys had two fumbles in that Super Bowl where they were never touched. That's pretty bad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another really outstanding Cowboy WR that most don't recall is Lance Rentzel. Of course the Cowboys don't play him up, and his time in Dallas (and the NFL) was cut short.

I know there are a lot of old timers like myself on this site that know what happened, but if anyone doesn't it's kind if a bizarre story you might want to look up.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
As a kid he was my 2nd favorite played behind Dorsett. I didn’t know any better and always thought he was the best receiver on the team.

quickccc

Reaction score

T-Hill is in the team club records and stats, and he's played entire lengthy NFL career, all with the Cowboys - and a case can be made for him having a ballot for the Ring of Honor.
But was he better and more dominant than Owens ? ..... Was he better and more dominant than Dez ?
Hill would be 6th overall if my list would stretch out to that .. but otherwise ...

WRs
1 Michael Irvin
2 Bob Hayes
3 Drew Pearson
4 Terrell Owens
5 Dez Bryant

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Awwww, silly me.. I thought you were gonna say Butch Johnson. JK, But all good, carry on...:thumbup:

quickccc

Reaction score
Declining is a relative term. It does not mean bad.

He was a rookie with 2 regular season catches in 1977 when they won the last Landry era Super Bowl.

Then they had 1 Super Bowl loss, then the final 8 years of Hill's career they had zero Super Bowl appearances.

They never had more than 3 seasons without a Super Bowl appearance since the inception of the Super Bowl until the streak of no Super Bowl appearances starting in 1979 and stretching thru to 1992.

For Cowboys fans of the mid/late sixties and seventies that was a decline.

I would not count non-SB seasons as 'declining ' years.

Decline is thought of as losing seasons and non-playoff contention seasons.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Tony Hill was part of that great 1977 draft class with the Tony Dorsett trade.

Hill hurt his ankle his last year at Stanford and was considered better or just as good as James Lofton who became a Hall of Famer from Stanford. He went to the same high school as Gene Washington, Willie McGinest, and Calvin Broadus (Snoop Dogg). Snoop, Gene, and Tony Hill were QBs at Long Beach Poly. 2 went to Stanford and the NFL and the other is now quarterbacking for Death Row Records.

You can thank John Wooten for that draft pick of Thrill Hill as he stay aware of injury and drafted Hill.

If you put Thrill Hill in the ROH you have to put Danny White in the ROH. Most of those stats came from the arm of Danny White.

Mannix

Reaction score
Hill was always my favorite back in the day....and over Drew. And while I'm referencing 70's comparisons, Swann can't hold Stallworth's jockstrap!!!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I would not count non-SB seasons as 'declining ' years.

Decline is thought of as losing seasons and non-playoff contention seasons.

LOL, yeah, kind of like what the team is in the past 26 years.....the abyss. Complaining about non-SB years being declining years is like complaining that Heidi Klum can't cook. Get outta here.....