The Best Playoff Choke Theory Yet

Chasing6

Reaction score
It seems that every Cowboys playoff choke theory centers around the idea that the Cowboys are doing something wrong. But don't other teams have something to do with it?

I mean if you were the other team's HC, I would be preaching all week to the team "The Cowboys are going to choke. Everybody knows that. So let's go hit them in the mouth as hard and fast as possible so they can start doubting themselves right away"

Wouldn't you do the same?
Cowboys are soft football team. GM Jethro has built the team outside in. Then he is shocked when we get manhandled in the playoffs.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Cowboys are soft football team. GM Jethro has built the team outside in. Then he is shocked when we get manhandled in the playoffs.
This .Even in regular season, against not too high ranked opponents , but who play smashmouth game we struggled, Zona game for ex. Previous year denver game.

GB identified , correctly our Run D sucks and as long as they play physical we fold.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Of course you would as the cowboys opponents. The cowboys can not control what opponents do what they can control is how prepared a d ready the cowboys are. And that's my issue, the cowboys seem ill prepared for playoff football more often than not.
That is on the HC's who havent been good since jimmy left.
That is on jerry as he is the one who hires the HC , gives him usually not enough power, also undermines him, and also hires and fires
many of the staff.
The HC here usually has some input, but not much power in player mgmt, or acquisitions, or getting rid of or benching players.
The jones boys handle all that. Also extensions yes or no and when is by jones boys. So HC here is just a game mgr and he does pc's
after the games, but a very limited version of a HC.

So a HC for jerry since jimmy, has been a weak version of a real HC. JG was the biggest joke of all, as he was a HC in training lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This .Even in regular season, against not too high ranked opponents , but who play smashmouth game we struggled, Zona game for ex. Previous year denver game.

GB identified , correctly our Run D sucks and as long as they play physical we fold.
Dallas has too many divas with good stats, and those are the guys that fold when other team gets rough.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry builds marketable teams, not tough teams that are built to be tough and win in playoffs.
Jerry just wants to market his team. make lots of $, he needs his soft and ultimately worthless stars for marketing, and those guys
will rack up good stats in reg season, but not worth much in playoffs.

Jerry is also slow of mind, and slow learner lol. This has been going on for 30 years, and he really doesnt see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or he just refuses to accept reality.
Jerry is the type of guy who can be way off, but he feels like he is really close to going to SB.
Maybe jerry brainwashes himself into believing his own crap.
He did say last year, he felt he was truly the best man to be GM of cowboys ! lol
And he believes that.

kskboys

Reaction score
It seems that every Cowboys playoff choke theory centers around the idea that the Cowboys are doing something wrong. But don't other teams have something to do with it?

I mean if you were the other team's HC, I would be preaching all week to the team "The Cowboys are going to choke. Everybody knows that. So let's go hit them in the mouth as hard and fast as possible so they can start doubting themselves right away"

Why we choke:

1. Poor DT play
2. Poor run play designs.

If a team chokes, there are reasons, can't just tell your team "they'll choke", that's silly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Baloney! It all has to do with getting your team ready to play in an important game. Getting your team ready to play to win or wait another year. They simply aren't getting the job done. And yet, for the last 28 years, the GM doesn't take any responsibility.
Can't get a team ready w/ poor DT play and backups starting at RB.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
"Any Given Sunday" would mean the Cowboys wouldn't hold all these NFL records for playoff futility. If anything, the Cowboys are doing a heck of a job at destroying the "Any Given Sunday" myth in the playoffs.
It's not like we lost 4 Super Bowls in a row or anything crazy like that.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The hard and fast approach works with the Cowboys, but the prior years against SF the defense stepped up and played winning football. The offense let them down and the offense going missing in big games has been a pretty consistent theme. Don't look at the score sheet, look at the drives - it tells a very different story.

Creeper

Reaction score

I don't know if it is that exactly, but I think a good strategy against Dallas would be to score first and get a bit of a lead. That seems to change the way the Cowboys play. I think the GB game was just a calamity of errors by Dallas on both sides of the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score

That makes no sense making the Cowboys some kind of target for this literally this should be every coach is including our own against any opponent especially in the playoffs but this should be a game plan every week right hit him in the mouth get up early demoralize them take over in the second-half win the game only need to win by one blah blah blah come on dude some of these things are just so ridiculous that it's always seems to be pointed at the Cowboys when it could be any team in the league.... This should be everyone's game plan. Every regular season game and then emphasized in the playoffs literally against anyone by any team it should literally be the number one most preached thing in any sport...:facepalm::espn::popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think every team is always going to go out and attempt to dominate and demoralize the opposing team. It has nothing to do with choking. Any body can beat any body any given Sunday but there are times when one team is just better than the other and usually that team will win. The Cowboys are not the best team in the league. Sometimes they will get dominated.
Right it makes no sense I read that and immediately thinking isn't that every teams game plan in all sports and then emphasized even more in the playoffs I mean if it's not you shouldn't have that coaching staff or any of those players on your team if that's not the number one goal on a weekly basis go out get up early punch him in the face take over in the second-half win by one point that's the goal. Somehow people just want it pick out the Cowboys at this is the Jones family problem like we've had the same choking team for 30 years like it's the pieces are all the same I mean every players personality and attitude is the same for 30 years I mean I don't get it I mean I guess that give me said about all teams that lose in the playoffs..

It's never choking in my opinion either it's literally just being either out coached out hustled or outplayed they're just simply outmatched at times... They have no answer but I don't think it's choking some players just don't play perfect games and if you don't have a good enough team to cover up imperfections like the 49ers did 49ers had the exact same first half against the lions as we did against the Packers I mean I not play for play but you know what I mean that their halftime deficit they were demoralized they were losing that game and somehow they came out in the second-half and scratched their way back and our team just came out and laid an egg our defense gave up three straight touchdowns that's demoralizing that that's not really on the Packers making us choke they literally just lined up and may Dan Quinn's defense look like a high school team......

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know if it is that exactly, but I think a good strategy against Dallas would be to score first and get a bit of a lead. That seems to change the way the Cowboys play. I think the GB game was just a calamity of errors by Dallas on both sides of the ball.
If we have to score first in order to play well/win, then we are built very poorly and major changes need to be made.

CWR

Reaction score
I would surely do it, but I'd start with listening to Stephen A Smith, then I'd look at the Cowboys previous seasons, I would call up a few cowboys players on the current roster, and ask where the party is going to be before the big game!!
Yeah, them posting victory parties on insta prior to kick off shows a lack of focus. These guys are along for the ride and all that comes with it, when they need to be focused on just getting there first.

They showed zero heart in that playoff game. It's like they expected GB to lay down for them and when they didn't they pouted their way through the game. It was probably as disgusted as I've ever been with the team.

pitt33

Reaction score
My theory?…

Mentally weak team that suffers from too many seasons of getting beat in the playoffs.

I believe the “here we go again” is a real thing with this team and they just wilt against playoff teams.

It’s entrenched within this organization until it isn’t.

Flamma

Reaction score
Obviously the loss to GB was a choke. But in order to qualify as a choke, shouldn't you start off with a high probability of winning? Other than GB, I'm not finding a lot of them.