The best quarterbacks drafted in the past decade

dckid

Reaction score
Herbert has started what 7 games, and although promising, we are ready to say he’s a top tier QB? He might be but he hasn’t proven anything yet other than having a lot of potential. Let’s at least wait a season.
Agreed with your Herbert assessment, and I am still excited to watch him play.
Both him and Burrow and even the young guys from the years before. Honestly I am not anti Dak, I wouldnt want to pay any QB other than Mahomes or Wilson 40 million a year when the team is in the dumps and devoid of talent on the lines.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both him and Burrow and even the young guys from the years before. Honestly I am not anti Dak, I wouldnt want to pay any QB other than Mahomes or Wilson 40 million a year when the team is in the dumps and devoid of talent on the lines.
The problem with the Dak assessment IMO is you can’t keep any NFL QB with at least starter ability and value less than market value. Even if we don’t keep Dak, having a quality QB is the most expensive player on everyone’s cap space. If not Dak, who are we going to pay market value...unless we get a young stud in the draft. And I don’t see this team getting the #1 pick. The jets and Falcons are ahead of us and that probably doesn’t change.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not only is QB a difficult position to scout, highly drafted quarterbacks often go to poorly run teams with little talent who force young quarterbacks to play too soon.

If I could draft Lawrence or Fields I'd do it and tag/trade Dak. I think they both are tremendous talents and worth the risk. If I can't get one of those two then sign Dak.

I think one of the things people overlook when assessing the college guys is what they are surrounded by. Dak played with B level guys during his time at Miss State and still dragged them to the top of college football.. Fields and Lawrence are surrounded by A level guys at every position making it orders of magnitude easier for them to look like world beaters. I have a feeling that if Dak had gone to Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State or even LSU, Florida or Georgia .. really any of those powerhouse teams he would have been a top 10 pick too because he would have been a Heisman finalist playing in the NCAA playoffs every year. You notice how nobody here is talking about the guys at Missouri or K-State or Delaware as high draft picks.. Weird huh?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Undeniable fact: there is an inherent risk with any player drafted, especially QB. There is something to sticking with the devil you know as opposed to taking a chance because, and stop me if you've heard this before, we can always do worse.

Until we see how this is shaping up after 5 more games, we don't have a feel for where the Cowboys will be picking. The only bad teams that will trade out of Lawrence, Fields and probably Lance are CIN and HOU and there will be suitors.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The way I'd look at it is this:
ignore last 2 years for providing longer returns.

Guys in bold I'd have considered better than Dak.
3 out of 27 Round 1 guys I consider actually better. --there are 3-4 more that you can argue are about the same.

So a 25% of so chance of getting ANOTHER Dak, and an 11% chance of surpassing Dak?
Yea I'm not gambling my high 1 on those odds.

2018:

1. Baker Mayfield --holding CLE back.
3. Sam Darnold --about to be traded
7. Josh Allen --putting it together finally this year.
10. Josh Rosen --lost job for mult teams.
32. Lamar Jackson --MVP CAND

2017:
2. Mitch Trubisky --lost job
10. Patrick --MVP
12. DeShaun Watson --Good QB with issues holding ball way too long.

2016:

1. Jared Goff, California, Rams -- Mid-level quick read guy.
2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles --High highs but very low lows.
26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos --stalled out at back up.

2015:

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers -- seems 20 years older. still a turnover machine.
2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans --back up.

2014:

3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars --back up
22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns --on drugs
32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings --injury prone low level starter

2013:

16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills --back up

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts --franchise guy before injury
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Commanders --1 season of read option ended him.
8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins --Long term growth and maturity have made him a plus starter.
22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns --we know all too well.

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers --High peak but lots of lows.
8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans --bad.
10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars --also bad.
12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings --really bad. sorry to his folks, he;s a local kid.

2010:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams --rich beyond reason for doing nothing.
25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos --great in college, better TE prospect in pros.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Both Herbert and Burrow are doing the things people consistently ding Dak for.. which is looking good while losing.. They have two wins and a tie between them. Could be THEY are putting up garbage time stats? Just asking.. Sure the kids are fun to watch.. but I thought winning was the only stat that mattered.. Who cares if they look good in the uniform?

dckid

Reaction score
The problem with the Dak assessment IMO is you can’t keep any NFL QB with at least starter ability and value less than market value. Even if we don’t keep Dak, having a quality QB is the most expensive player on everyone’s cap space. If not Dak, who are we going to pay market value...unless we get a young stud in the draft. And I don’t see this team getting the #1 pick. The jets and Falcons are ahead of us and that probably doesn’t change.
I hear what you are saying. The thing is lets see how the season plays out. I really only see the Jets ahead of us unless this team decides winning 4 games is worth it. Knowing our front office we might be dumb enough... Lets see how it plays out. The Dak Decision will be based on several factors.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Whilst I agree we SHOULDN'T waste the pick on a QB I think we'll be forced to IF the Dak deal isnt signed by the time of the draft.

By the time they get to the draft Prescott if not signed to a long term contract will have been tagged again while still negotiating. I believe a long term contract will get signed before the cutoff date on tagged players. I base this on Prescott wasn't happy with the way French negotiated this past off season as evidence in the final ,hour or so on July 15th Prescott himself was negotiating and they came very close to getting a deal done. That and the fact that Prescott got injured and found out that he's not indestructible and will be more willing to accept a contract. The Cowboys and the league have learned that you can get some really good QB's in rounds after the first round. Brady was a 6th rounder, Romo was undrafteed, Warner undrafted, and Prescott a 4th rounder. Now last year the Cowboys did draft a QB and we will see what he has.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think one of the things people overlook when assessing the college guys is what they are surrounded by. Dak played with B level guys during his time at Miss State and still dragged them to the top of college football.. Fields and Lawrence are surrounded by A level guys at every position making it orders of magnitude easier for them to look like world beaters. I have a feeling that if Dak had gone to Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State or even LSU, Florida or Georgia .. really any of those powerhouse teams he would have been a top 10 pick too because he would have been a Heisman finalist playing in the NCAA playoffs every year. You notice how nobody here is talking about the guys at Missouri or K-State or Delaware as high draft picks.. Weird huh?
BINGO! That's why it's always been dicey taking Bama D players.

Lawrence and Fields have been surrounded by 4/5 star talent their entire college careers and Burrow had the best supporting cast in college football history.

The Cowboys drafted Spears and he wasn't even in the top 2 of their best D players. They go for Claiborne, ignoring his front 7, one of the best in years.

Lawrence has had some of the best players in 10 years on his team and right now has the best RB in college ball. He also has the best DC taking care of that D for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Undeniable fact: there is an inherent risk with any player drafted, especially QB. There is something to sticking with the devil you know as opposed to taking a chance because, and stop me if you've heard this before, we can always do worse.

Until we see how this is shaping up after 5 more games, we don't have a feel for where the Cowboys will be picking. The only bad teams that will trade out of Lawrence, Fields and probably Lance are CIN and HOU and there will be suitors.
Great post but it goes even beyond that.
If you take a QB R1 you then need to build the offense around him.
That takes time and very likely means another couple years.

dckid

Reaction score
Both Herbert and Burrow are doing the things people consistently ding Dak for.. which is looking good while losing.. They have two wins and a tie between them. Could be THEY are putting up garbage time stats? Just asking.. Sure the kids are fun to watch.. but I thought winning was the only stat that mattered.. Who cares if they look good in the uniform?
Come on Ronnie!!! Both players are on less talented teams, especially Burrow. I just don't know maybe I am missing something.
Who would prefer Dak @ 40 million per year over the next 5 years vs Burrow type QB at 8 million a year? Whatever a top 5 pick salary number is?
Dak is not Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes... Am I confused here?
Dak is closer to Goff, Wentz, Cousins... I dont want any of these three guys at 35+... What am I missing?

NorthTexan95

Reaction score

When you watch highlights of Lawrence and Fields you might think it's supposed to be a highlight video for the receivers. The quarterbacks can make some tight throws knowing their receiver will most likely come down with it. Yep, they are surrounded by some terrific talent. However, you can still see that Lawrence and Fields are not your average quarterbacks. If they fail in the NFL it won't be a lack of talent or accuracy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear what you are saying. The thing is lets see how the season plays out. I really only see the Jets ahead of us unless this team decides winning 4 games is worth it. Knowing our front office we might be dumb enough... Lets see how it plays out. The Dak Decision will be based on several factors.
Arthur Blank thought it was dumb enough last night as he was on the field in that 4Q.

The Cowboys could easily tank because it already looks like that's what they did in the last 2 games.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They had a lot of needs on defense last year and they wasted a pick on WR last year that they didnt really need. Dont get me wrong I Iike Lamb but he was more of a luxury than a need.

He was more of a need than a luxury. He replaced Beasley. Where as the Cowboys had a lot of needs on defense and still do, it does not mean that that if a player that is thought of as the best in that position in the draft is there and he fills a need on offense that they shouldn't take him.

natedoug

Reaction score
With a team devoid of talent -- Jimmy Johnson traded Hershel Walker for a bunch of draft picks.
If we get a TOP 3 pick this year - I would trade it and get as many draft picks as possible. We have seen teams "overpay" and give multiple draft picks to move up for a QB.

I then use all those picks on defense ( ie. cheap hopefully productive rookies ) -- to compensate having to pay Dak.

dckid

Reaction score
With a team devoid of talent -- Jimmy Johnson traded Hershel Walker for a bunch of draft picks.
If we get a TOP 3 pick this year - I would trade it and get as many draft picks as possible. We seen teams "overpay" and give multiple draft picks to move up.

I then use all those picks on defense ( ie. cheap hopefully productive rookies ) -- to compensate having to pay Dak.
It was a different league back then and even during that time Jimmy had the QB position covered with Aikman and Walsh at cheap salaries even without a cap.

kskboys

Reaction score
When you watch highlights of Lawrence and Fields you might think it's supposed to be a highlight video for the receivers. The quarterbacks can make some tight throws knowing their receiver will most likely come down with it. Yep, they are surrounded by some terrific talent. However, you can still see that Lawrence and Fields are not your average quarterbacks. If they fail in the NFL it won't be a lack of talent or accuracy.
It never ceases to amaze me how so many cannot watch a QB and deduce if he's capable of making NFL throws.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't know why Luck was not on your list, maybe he didn't make OROY or MVP but he was the best QB to be drafted in the last decade. Mahomes and maybe Wilson are ahead now. If Luck had better protection he would still be around and top 3 QB in the league.

Trevor and Luck are similar in a lot of ways. Trevor might not be as much of a mobile QB.

It doesn't matter, you get a chance, you take Trevor and by by Dak.

I'm not sure about this.........Luck's advanced knowledge of the game ( reading coverages etc ) was on Peyton Manning level.