The big "fear" of Signing Free Agents?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I swear Brandon Carr put a big spell on this front office. This happened almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't taken the chance on a big free agent? What's the fear? We sign our own guys to big contracts and they don't always work out, what's the difference in signing a big name free agent and it doesn't work out? You just have to go out there and give it a chance! We have to stop with being fearful, and be aggressive. The talk of i'll write a big check to win a ring, is just to make fans HAPPY somehow. It's a joke, and we need to practice what we're preaching (What jerry's preaching).

I'm not saying sign every free agent, but that one player might help get us over the hump we've been stuck on! We're the biggest market in the NFL, we bring in money like it's water! Yet when it's time to spend the money, somehow we get scared to spend it, make it make sense! Please give your thoughts

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I feel like we’ve been slightly better recently in FA acquisitions, however, this FO loves the bargain and more often than not, we have learned you get what you pay for.

LittleD

Reaction score
Another thread about signing high dollar FA...Geez! How many times do you have to hear that this team is a draft and develop team. We have been one for several years.
The FO does not sign big name FA to massive contracts. We do wait to fill holes with cheaper names. We signed several FA's last year at bargain prices and guys like Hankins worked out well for us. Jerry and Stephen like to sign their own guys who worked out to long term contracts. Zeke was good for several years but, has aged quickly. Tyron signed a very team friendly deal and
has played at a high level for years. The Cowboys draft well so just quit looking and complaining that the team is not the Rams or Eagles. They will never be no matter the results.
Jerry is still making big money...just look at the Star Complex.

cowboybish

Reaction score
I swear Brandon Carr put a big spell on this front office. This happened almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't taken the chance on a big free agent? What's the fear? We sign our own guys to big contracts and they don't always work out, what's the difference in signing a big name free agent and it doesn't work out? You just have to go out there and give it a chance! We have to stop with being fearful, and be aggressive. The talk of i'll write a big check to win a ring, is just to make fans HAPPY somehow. It's a joke, and we need to practice what we're preaching (What jerry's preaching).

I'm not saying sign every free agent, but that one player might help get us over the hump we've been stuck on! We're the biggest market in the NFL, we bring in money like it's water! Yet when it's time to spend the money, somehow we get scared to spend it, make it make sense! Please give your thoughts
I heard on a sports talk show that the eagles have 7 players who at one time pro bowlers on the Dline that they rotate.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I feel like we’ve been slightly better recently in FA acquisitions, however, this FO loves the bargain and more often than not, we have learned you get what you pay for.

We've been better when there's a need we actually go get it. I think Quinn has a lot to do with it maybe Mike also. It used to never be like this

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Another thread about signing high dollar FA...Geez! How many times do you have to hear that this team is a draft and develop team. We have been one for several years.
The FO does not sign big name FA to massive contracts. We do wait to fill holes with cheaper names. We signed several FA's last year at bargain prices and guys like Hankins worked out well for us. Jerry and Stephen like to sign their own guys who worked out to long term contracts. Zeke was good for several years but, has aged quickly. Tyron signed a very team friendly deal and
has played at a high level for years. The Cowboys draft well so just quit looking and complaining that the team is not the Rams or Eagles. They will never be no matter the results.
Jerry is still making big money...just look at the Star Complex.

Hush

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I heard on a sports talk show that the eagles have 7 players who at one time pro bowlers on the Dline that they rotate.

Then I heard they have 5+ guys or whatever that have 10+ sacks that's crazy lol

fivetwos

Reaction score

It can’t be that one signing and probably isn’t.

It all comes down to Jerry’s need to claim all the credit.

An example…instead of a GM doing hours of work on a free agent player that could really fill a need, and getting excited about what that player could add, and how much better that makes the team, and all this is reflected in negotiations….it probably goes into a report that Jerry and kid look at and decide if it’s worth the money to pursue.

Ten times out of ten, the kid concludes that this player would not likely earn what they are likely to get, and the draft is a better option.

This organizations problems have problems, and they are mostly all due to the same thing….we have a fake, unqualified person and his son running it all.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The problem i have is Carr was NOT a huge bust. Obviously not the #1 CB they hoped for, but he was a solid dependable player who seemingly never got inured. I'll never understand why Carr was the contract that scared these fools from signing any worthy free agents.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
They better at least go from Goodwill to Macy’s, don’t have to shop at 5th Saks but do need to move away from the bargain bend.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Brandon Carr wasn’t even that bad. Solid guy. But I’m sure they feel validated by not signing Von Miller last season since he got hurt so they probably will continue non spending.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Kyzir White, Haason Reddick, James Bradberry, D Suh, Anthony Harris, Linval Joseph, Robert Quinn, Minshew, AJ Brown, Darius Slay, Brandon Graham

This is depressing when you see what their FO did.:rolleyes:
Its more depressing when you see what ours didnt.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I never understood being seemingly unable to let go of the Carr contract. Dallas gave him a huge contract knowing that he was never a Pro Bowl player. I thought at the time it was overvalued and still think that today.

But it's not like Carr got his money and then shut down like so many of our homegrown players do. He showed up every week and never missed a game, while playing in an antiquated system. Carr was a solid player for us. This whole Stephen Jonesism of "FA is where you pay good players great player money" really illustrates how much of a clueless hillbilly he really is.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I’m not saying we need to break the bank day one. But a few middle tier guys would be nice!!!!
First you have to identify what your team needs. Then you have to identify a free agent that meets all the criteria of that need, then make an offer. Not too hard? Day one signings once in a while would be nice as long as they did their due diligence. Injuries happen and can happen to any player signed whether it's your own or outside. Just don't try to plug in a square peg into a round hole type of free agent because of the players name either. Do your homework.