The big "fear" of Signing Free Agents?

LittleD

Reaction score
I didn't see advocating the signing of “high dollar“ free agents as the main point in this OP. Maybe I’m wrong on that.
All teams have to sign some players to big deals. The question is- are they going to be all drafted and home grown or a mixture of home grown and FAs? The latter is what most of the teams winning SBs are doing.

IMO our FO has overvalued too many of the players they drafted while not recognizing the need to add an occasional big time free agent to the mix that isn’t a bargain basement type. You can’t be too extreme on either all draft or too much FA. I feel we need more balance.
Just remember that every top, high dollar, FA is a FA that their team gave up on. In essence, we would be paying big money for a player their previous team didn't want to pay them. They should know and have evaluated them much more that us. Why on earth should our FO overpay for other team's castoffs.

LysleE

Reaction score
When I think of stupid moves I don’t think of Brandon Carr; I think of the Roy Williams deal: didn’t Dallas give up a #1, #3 and #6 when TO went down with injury and Jerry panicked?

I think the Cowboys clearly are risk averse when signing FAs; so it’s going to take years to upgrade our roster via the draft. The current model in the NFL seems to be “win now” so teams are being aggressive in FA to get the players they need to complete at a high level for a year or two, 3 of the 4 teams in the conference playoffs utilized that model.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Just remember that every top, high dollar, FA is a FA that their team gave up on. In essence, we would be paying big money for a player their previous team didn't want to pay them. They should know and have evaluated them much more that us. Why on earth should our FO overpay for other team's castoffs.
Not necessarily gave up. Sometimes you can’t keep everyone you’d like to.
And many of these castoffs have helped their new teams to the SB.
Where has our free agent strategy gotten us?

birdwells1

Reaction score
As stated “ if you think you’re a player or two away” doing so prematurely gets you 3 years of 4-12!
I think that we are a Hopkins, rookie RB, a rookie LG away. We already got a different OC

exciter

Reaction score
I think that we are a Hopkins, rookie RB, a rookie LG away. We already got a different OC
Lol Hopkins!!! This is why I thank my lucky stars Jerry is in charge! Fans just don’t have the perspective to realize when a player is dropping precipitously and their skillset doesn’t match their pay scale anymore!

plasticman

Reaction score
Half of those free agent veterans want to do nothing more than steal some of Jerry's money on the way out the door.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I swear Brandon Carr put a big spell on this front office. This happened almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't taken the chance on a big free agent? What's the fear? We sign our own guys to big contracts and they don't always work out, what's the difference in signing a big name free agent and it doesn't work out? You just have to go out there and give it a chance! We have to stop with being fearful, and be aggressive. The talk of i'll write a big check to win a ring, is just to make fans HAPPY somehow. It's a joke, and we need to practice what we're preaching (What jerry's preaching).

I'm not saying sign every free agent, but that one player might help get us over the hump we've been stuck on! We're the biggest market in the NFL, we bring in money like it's water! Yet when it's time to spend the money, somehow we get scared to spend it, make it make sense! Please give your thoughts
We like our guys

LittleD

Reaction score
Not necessarily gave up. Sometimes you can’t keep everyone you’d like to.
And many of these castoffs have helped their new teams to the SB.
Where has our free agent strategy gotten us?
Teams seem to work the cap to keep everyone and anyone they want to. You should know that.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Teams seem to work the cap to keep everyone and anyone they want to. You should know that.
Show me one SB winning team over the last 15 years that did not make at least ONE major FA acquisition.

Now tell me how many SBs we have won in that time period?

Tell me how many SBs have we been even CLOSE to in that time period.

So you are saying our way is better but we have no results to show it.

Sounds really stupid to me

birdwells1

Reaction score
Lol Hopkins!!! This is why I thank my lucky stars Jerry is in charge! Fans just don’t have the perspective to realize when a player is dropping precipitously and their skillset doesn’t match their pay scale anymore!
Hopkins played in 9 games last year he had 64 receptions for 717 yards and 3 touchdowns. We have a 2 year window to win big, we don’t have time to draft and hope a wr pans out.

I hope you were being sarcastic when you said that you thank your lucky star for Jerry being in charge.

exciter

Reaction score
Hopkins played in 9 games last year he had 64 receptions for 717 yards and 3 touchdowns. We have a 2 year window to win big, we don’t have time to draft and hope a wr pans out.

I hope you were being sarcastic when you said that you thank your lucky star for Jerry being in charge.
Lol! Thus you don’t blow high draft capital on a old WR, who has missed 15 games the last two seasons, has the production of a #3 receiver for those 2 seasons and a 19m cap hit. You’d just be paying said player for past production from when he was with another team!

LittleD

Reaction score
Show me one SB winning team over the last 15 years that did not make at least ONE major FA acquisition.

Now tell me how many SBs we have won in that time period?

Tell me how many SBs have we been even CLOSE to in that time period.

So you are saying our way is better but we have no results to show it.

Sounds really stupid to me
I never said it was better. I was just saying that's the way Stephen and the FO operate. They were trying to get a big player in the spring last
year and failed because they were outbid by other teams. In the end, they signed several players like Hankins who were available when needed.
Jerry doesn't have to make a SB when billions keep coming his way.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I swear Brandon Carr put a big spell on this front office. This happened almost 10 years ago, and we still haven't taken the chance on a big free agent? What's the fear? We sign our own guys to big contracts and they don't always work out, what's the difference in signing a big name free agent and it doesn't work out? You just have to go out there and give it a chance! We have to stop with being fearful, and be aggressive. The talk of i'll write a big check to win a ring, is just to make fans HAPPY somehow. It's a joke, and we need to practice what we're preaching (What jerry's preaching).

I'm not saying sign every free agent, but that one player might help get us over the hump we've been stuck on! We're the biggest market in the NFL, we bring in money like it's water! Yet when it's time to spend the money, somehow we get scared to spend it, make it make sense! Please give your thoughts
Jerry knows he is being called out everywhere about lack of signing big name FAs, so he will make a splash signing this off season. guaranteed.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scouting other teams and figuring out which of their players fits is the kind of work Jerry and son have never done well. We don't have a real GM. What we got is an owner who keeps the title for himself..........b/c he thinks he is fooling people.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said it was better. I was just saying that's the way Stephen and the FO operate. They were trying to get a big player in the spring last
year and failed because they were outbid by other teams. In the end, they signed several players like Hankins who were available when needed.
Jerry doesn't have to make a SB when billions keep coming his way.
Jerry doesn't have to do anything. So why is he still involved if its just about money? The cowboys make over 1B in revenue every year which is almost double any other team. He literally doesn't have to do anything to make tons of money. So why does he bother trying to run the team? The reason is b/c he wants to win and capture the glory given to Jimmy Johnson and denied him. Thats why he sticks around. He is 81 and has bought everything he wants. He will never run out money. The only thing left for Jerry to accomplish is building a super bowl winner himself. He craves the adoration of fans and media. He wants GMs and coaches around the league to see him as a peer..... a fellow "football man" not just a rich owner. Thats what the past 27 years has been about......

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Jerry gambled on huge contracts for Zeke and Dak, and he got burned. That left him without the capital to invest in other players. Those of us who were screaming at Jerry not to overpay Zeke and Dak were right, especially about Zeke. It's way easier to replace a running back. If you've got a solid O-line and blocking scheme, there are usually many good backs in the draft who can prosper. It's way harder to replace a quarterback, but it can be done. And imagine if Dak had walked. He would be some other team's problem now. He's a Jeckl & Hyde QB. You have no idea which one will show up to the game, the guy who can play lights out and help us win or the one who throws pick sixes on the most basic of plays, giving us no chance to win.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry gambled on huge contracts for Zeke and Dak, and he got burned. That left him without the capital to invest in other players. Those of us who were screaming at Jerry not to overpay Zeke and Dak were right, especially about Zeke. It's way easier to replace a running back. If you've got a solid O-line and blocking scheme, there are usually many good backs in the draft who can prosper. It's way harder to replace a quarterback, but it can be done. And imagine if Dak had walked. He would be some other team's problem now. He's a Jeckl & Hyde QB. You have no idea which one will show up to the game, the guy who can play lights out and help us win or the one who throws pick sixes on the most basic of plays, giving us no chance to win.
And worse than that, he didn't maximize the full advantage of a rookie contract with Zeke giving into a hold out.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I used to love playing the ponies and was always on the lookout for a horse that hadn’t broken through yet but had established a trend of climbing in it’s finishes with each successive start. A horse, gelding or filly that had very good workouts and appeared on the cusp of a breakout. I could get semi-long odds for my $ while also having a reasonable expectation that a win was achievable.