The Big Picture of the Garrett Era

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me say this first- yesterday’s win was great. I enjoyed watching this team whip the rams with a two by four all day long in a completely convincing fashion.

But yesterday’s win cannot erase the big picture of the last decade. Very, very few NFL coaches have more than 3-5 years to take their team to at least near championship heights. Assuming this team makes the playoffs after hopefully beating the e-girls, only 4 of Garrett’s 9 teams will have even made the playoffs.

Here’s my big point: Look at Jason Garrett’s whole resume and playoff record, not his last game. Stay in the big picture, not the small.

Let’s look at the last decade and the big picture of what Jason Garrett’s teams have in common:
  • Garrett coached teams always seem to play up and down. Three straight 8-8 seasons from 2011-13.
  • Alternating good years with bad. Good years 2014, 2016, and 2018, with bummer years 2015 and 2017, and maybe 2019.
  • Consistently poor clock management with a game on the line. How many times have we seen this coach mismanage key moments in games, especially against good opponents? Like the 2016 playoff game against the pack.
  • A complete lack of creativity or adaptability both in game and in-season. Game plans are seemingly written in stone, regardless of circumstances or what the opponent seems to be going. (Chaz Green in Atlanta?)
  • His teams are 4-5 on Thanksgiving, one of the biggest home field advantages in football.
  • In fairness, his teams have almost always played hard.
  • His teams have also won some big games. But they were either a wild card playoff game or a regular season game.
  • His teams have also lost 3 divisional round playoff games, all very winnable.
This list could go on. Garrett has had more than a fair chance to show that he can take this team where it hasn’t been in nearly a quarter century. A near decade to show he can lead this team to greatness. Keeping Jason Garrett at this point would be a farce if winning a championship is the goal. (Sadly, it may not be the goal for Jerry)

If it hasn’t happened in almost ten years, it isn’t going to happen. The Garrett expiration date has passed. The big picture says Garrett is what he is. A fairly good coach who doesn’t take teams very far in the playoffs. It’s time for a new voice in 2020.
no disagreement here

jrumann59

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who we get Jerruah is still the owner. That's the constant for the past 20 some years. I can't blame everything on Garret, those 8-8 years was rebuild years where we completely rebuilt or OL. Add in 2015 where we last Romo.
Yup not the biggest JG fan but JG and Romo during that time the team would have been picking top 10. He had them in the fight while completely re-tooling an ageing team especially an old plodding OL.

Javier

Reaction score
How can you be a "fan" of the Dallas Cowboys FOOTBALL team and want the clapper back next year after all his failures???

"but...but Garrett is a very good man, he donates to the Teleton and helps older people to cross the street"

suspicious, if you ask me

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Let me say this first- yesterday’s win was great. I enjoyed watching this team whip the rams with a two by four all day long in a completely convincing fashion.

But yesterday’s win cannot erase the big picture of the last decade. Very, very few NFL coaches have more than 3-5 years to take their team to at least near championship heights. Assuming this team makes the playoffs after hopefully beating the e-girls, only 4 of Garrett’s 9 teams will have even made the playoffs.

Here’s my big point: Look at Jason Garrett’s whole resume and playoff record, not his last game. Stay in the big picture, not the small.

Let’s look at the last decade and the big picture of what Jason Garrett’s teams have in common:
  • Garrett coached teams always seem to play up and down. Three straight 8-8 seasons from 2011-13.
  • Alternating good years with bad. Good years 2014, 2016, and 2018, with bummer years 2015 and 2017, and maybe 2019.
  • Consistently poor clock management with a game on the line. How many times have we seen this coach mismanage key moments in games, especially against good opponents? Like the 2016 playoff game against the pack.
  • A complete lack of creativity or adaptability both in game and in-season. Game plans are seemingly written in stone, regardless of circumstances or what the opponent seems to be going. (Chaz Green in Atlanta?)
  • His teams are 4-5 on Thanksgiving, one of the biggest home field advantages in football.
  • His teams have also won some big games. But they were either a wild card playoff game or a regular season game.
This list could go on. Garrett has had more than a fair chance to show that he can take this team where it hasn’t been in nearly a quarter century. A near decade to show he can lead this team to greatness. Keeping Jason Garrett at this point would be a farce if winning a championship is the goal. (Sadly, it may not be the goal for Jerry)

If it hasn’t happened in almost ten years, it isn’t going to happen. The Garrett expiration date has passed. The big picture says Garrett is what he is. A fairly good coach who doesn’t take teams very far in the playoffs. It’s time for a new voice in 2020.
I’ve been trying to remember how he screwed up at in the Pack playoff game. I know we left too much time for Erin, but what was it exactly? We should’ve run once so the clock would run?? Do you or anyone remember the exact scenario? I know it was bad and that most people knew not to do it.

BHendri5

Reaction score

that’s not a big picture, that’s a very small Biased picture. Get outta here

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Most of the problems have been caused by poor defenses.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to remember how he screwed up at in the Pack playoff game. I know we left too much time for Erin, but what was it exactly? We should’ve run once so the clock would run?? Do you or anyone remember the exact scenario? I know it was bad and that most people knew not to do it.

Yeah, and Marinelli called that stupid 3-2-6 4 deep zone.

Carter

Reaction score
Most of the problems have been caused by poor defenses.

There is always some new excuse. Lack of QB Play, Bad Offense, Bad Defense, Bad ST

He had great QB Play, great Offenses and great Defenses and never got anything done.

The Defense and Offense this year rank Top 10 Overall, yet this Team is on the edge of missing the Playoffs and go 8-8 or 7-9.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the next month, we are going to find out how serious Jerry is about winning something more than the NFC Least. I’m sometimes amazed at the low expectations Jerry has tolerated for years.
I’m not sure why after all of these years we are amazed with Jerry’s ways lowering the bar here?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
This

1*Kx1DqcEtH0tSiWShPa8HHw.jpeg

:cool:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That has certainly been the Jones version of accountability in this organization. Blame everything on an assistant or coordinator. Meanwhile the 77 year old owner and architect of this toxic culture will continue his charade as a “football guy” without consequence.
Correct and why the bar has been lowered that fans still struggle coming to terms with.

If we aren’t going to ultimately hold him accountable then it seems kinda hypocritical on our part to expect him to change.

We certainly have a funny way of showing our dissatisfaction in a product by making it the most popular and wealthiest.

It’s like expecting a drug addict to stop if we keep feeding them drugs. Lol

Whyjerry

Reaction score
To me the interesting thing is how the narrative around Garrett has changed. They keep trying to rebrand the guy. First he was this offensive guru. That didn’t work so he became the winning culture guy. Then he was the great talent evaluator. Then the draft guy. Then the guys play hard for him guy. Now he is the only guy that can lead the team in 2019 guy.

It is all ridiculous. He was not a great OC. For 10 years he has proven himself to be a coach that can’t get the job done.

Time to go. Period.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The bigger picture is Jerry is what he is and the Cowboys are now what they are.

Garrett is just a product of it and why he’s survived without more success. We continue beating our head up against the wall with Garrett without beating our heads in why he’s here.

We have our voice . And he’s not on the sidelines. This voice is extremely upset with the prospect of potentially having to replace him. I’d give caution in attempting to force an angry animal cornered. He’s liable to double down to further piss us off.

Garrett has had a fair chance in a normal situation . But this isn’t a normal situation. Some Cowboy fans continue looking for normal solutions in a dysfunctional situation.