CFZ The biggest difference I see in the Kellen Moore offense

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think a lot of the short passing game and conservative play calling for the Cowboys the first 3 games is more situational than anything else. I do feel like MM has featured his offense more to be based off of having a great defense. A complimentary offense.

We all know Moore did NONE of this. All he cared about was scoring as much as possible with no concern for the defense or team harmony. Some good and bad to that.

I also think the redzone woes the first 3 weeks have been overblown. First two weeks was situational for me. Blowouts, weather, not taking chances by the GL, Jets D. Last week we had 3 olineman missing. So I feel MM specifically went out and and applied the short passing game again, taking little chances deep with the Oline issues. And certainly being down big allowed the Cards to play a deep shell daring us to run.

Plenty has been said about our redzone offense this year being bad as compared to #1 in the NFL with Moore.

THE BIG DIFFERENCE I see with Moore is once he got inside the 30 or the 20 he would love to take that first shot deep to the endzone. He was aggressive in the passing game at those distances. We would often score or complete the passes getting us inside the 5 with a first down.

MM has been much more methodical running the ball and conservative.

Has it been situational or by design? We will find out soon enough.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I think a lot of the short passing game and conservative play calling for the Cowboys the first 3 games is more situational than anything else. I do feel like MM has featured his offense more to be based off of having a great defense. A complimentary offense.

We all know Moore did NONE of this. All he cared about was scoring as much as possible with no concern for the defense or team harmony. Some good and bad to that.

I also think the redzone woes the first 3 weeks have been overblown. First two weeks was situational for me. Blowouts, weather, not taking chances by the GL, Jets D. Last week we had 3 olineman missing. So I feel MM specifically went out and and applied the short passing game again, taking little chances deep with the Oline issues. And certainly being down big allowed the Cards to play a deep shell daring us to run.

Plenty has been said about our redzone offense this year being bad as compared to #1 in the NFL with Moore.

THE BIG DIFFERENCE I see with Moore is once he got inside the 30 or the 20 he would love to take that first shot deep to the endzone. He was aggressive in the passing game at those distances. We would often score or complete the passes getting us inside the 5 with a first down.

The answer to that question initially is by design, as he has said as much. With Dak's struggles last year, he committed to this game plan and the injuries to our OL has taken a bite out of this plan. Without these guys playing, and a running game, we will rely upon Dak and the passing game, this exact thing he doesn't want nor should want

CWR

Reaction score

They will fix the redzone. I agree it's been over blown. The cards game is the only game we've been pressed for points. MM already said he was too conservative. That and we had little time to adjust to missing 3 linemen. He started two rookies and played overly safe. It won't happen again.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

To me it looks like they are taking the ball out of Dak's hands in order to avoid a repeat of last years INT totals.

You keep throwing out missing the 3 OL'men as a reason for the offensive woes last week. The problems with the red zone offense have persisted for the past 2 games, not just this past week - 4 FG's against the Jets, 3 more against the Cards. You can't keep blaming the OL for this when they were good enough to get the offense into FG position in the first place. Something else keeps happening when they get down there. Conservative MM play calls? Bad Dak? Terrible execution? Who knows..... What we do know is that they have to get it figured out. The FG's they keep settling for are going to lead to more losses. Dallas has a better chance of beating the cards if 2 of those FG's had been TD's instead.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
4th and 4 third quarter can you not pass up the easy FG put in you striking distance . That’s part of the OC job description now , in game decisions on when to throw points in the garbage .
Yes. That was a very big call. Not scoring is a momentum killer and bad for team morale. With the FG the Cards feel the pressure of another blown lead with us just being one score behind.

It was a really dumb call especially when you claim to want to rely on your top notch D.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Think we all need to not forget that this offense is learning a new scheme, there are going to be some early growing pains. With our OL so banged up, it really limits what you can do in both the run/passing game. They need to hold up until some of these starters return to the lineup.

Aven8

Reaction score
The Oline has been a mess. It hasn’t been awful, but it hasn’t been full strength either. These dudes need to get healthy asap

Brax

Reaction score

All the OC was worried about was scoring points, and this is bad, you like FGs, methodical Lmao, that was some offense designed to not score points. Only on CZ can you get entertained with delusional posts like the OP.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
All the OC was worried about was scoring points, and this is bad, you like FGs, methodical Lmao, that was some offense designed to not score points. Only on CZ can you get entertained with delusional posts like the OP.
He's essentially doing what he always does - trying to put the blame on everyone on the team while Dak gets a free pass. You have to put points on the board to have a chance at winning. If they had converted 2 of those FG's into TD's they have a tie score going into that drive leading up to the INT. Funny how that works..... Who would have thought that it's better to play for TD's rather than FG's?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He's essentially doing what he always does - trying to put the blame on everyone on the team while Dak gets a free pass. You have to put points on the board to have a chance at winning. If they had converted 2 of those FG's into TD's they have a tie score going into that drive leading up to the INT. Funny how that works..... Who would have thought that it's better to play for TD's rather than FG's?
you hater, we lost because the defense and the whole team didn't carry dak. You must be a new fan. :muttley:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That didn't take long.......slowly turning into a Dak thread. Some just can't resist (lol).

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Let also not forget that the TEs dropped two TD passes in the Redzone on two different possessions Vs Giants. The Jets are a top defense, so FGs we’re valued. The Cardinals is the outlier.

reddyuta

Reaction score
playing situational football is good but you need to score points the red zone,especially if you vaunted defense is getting shredded like swiss cheese.

khiladi

Reaction score
Imagine thinking “scoring too fast” is a problem when the difference between a top 10 team and Dallas in TOP is a whopping 1-2 minutes and plenty of that can simply be attributed to the defense forcing TOs for the offense.

Maybe McCarthy should have let Quinn and Paraons go as the defense was producing too many TOs in the opponents own territory, making Moore score so fast..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
KM was correct in not trying to be "complimentary."

There has been a lot of game script that has limited the need for explosives, but the idea that you need to be "complimentary" is stupid. There's never anything wrong with scoring.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
They will fix the redzone. I agree it's been over blown. The cards game is the only game we've been pressed for points. MM already said he was too conservative. That and we had little time to adjust to missing 3 linemen. He started two rookies and played overly safe. It won't happen again.
If the 9ers or Eagles were down 3 linemen you can bet the house that their defense would have stepped up their game and controlled Arizona and got out of there with a victory. But for some reason our defense imploded in the 1st half and it was game over after that. Heck, even with time to throw the ball both Prescot and his receivers never showed up to play and when the Arizona offense had their way with Parsons the rest of the defense just sat back and watched the sh... show play out.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
If the 9ers or Eagles were down 3 linemen you can bet the house that their defense would have stepped up their game and controlled Arizona and got out of there with a victory. But for some reason our defense imploded in the 1st half and it was game over after that. Heck, even with time to throw the ball both Prescot and his receivers never showed up to play and when the Arizona offense had their way with Parsons the rest of the defense just sat back and watched the sh... show play out.

Yeah I have no excuse for the defense.

ESisback

Reaction score

I agree with much of what you say. I think fans were justified in wanting KM gone. For those wanting to ride the “Dallas Sucks For Click$ Train”, any success Moore has with the Chargers validates their agenda.