The Blocked Punt

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This right here. A blocked punt should be seen as a fumble on 4th down. Unless the recieving team advances it past the 1st down marker, it's should be turnover on downs with one exception:
- If a member of the receiving team gains and maintains possession of the ball (advances/football move, etc.) and then fumbles it back to the kicking team, then a new set of downs is awarded to the kicking team.

Just touching the ball shouldn't constitue possession. It sure as hell doesn't in a lot of other situations in football, so I don't why it does for a blocked punt. Sure, it makes it a "live ball", but automatically awarding a new set of downs for that is why people think its a dumb rule. If it happened more often in the NFL, the ruled would probably be revised.

Is a punted ball that passes the LOS the receiving team’s ball by default or the punting team’s ball?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
All of you people who are weirdly spending all your time dying on the hill of defending or arguing against an obscure scenario that will probably not happen again this decade are missing one key, important fact:

John Fassel is not a good special teams coach and that's why this play went the way it did.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The NFL is not calling it a blocked punt. It's officially in the books as a short punt that the receiving team(Cowboys) touched first to make it a live ball and the Broncos recovered. How does that even make sense? A rule change must happen so this doesn't happen again.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The NFL is not calling it a blocked punt. It's officially in the books as a short punt that the receiving team(Cowboys) touched first to make it a live ball and the Broncos recovered. How does that even make sense? A rule change must happen so this doesn't happen again.

So if it went 30 yards past the LOS what would it be called?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is simple. Wright needs to learn the rules. The Special Teams staff needs to teach them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So if it went 30 yards past the LOS what would it be called?
Are you really asking me that as if I'm a ref or have anything to with the way the game is officiated? The rules of this game are determined by the owners. Go ask them your question.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Are you really asking me that as if I'm a ref or have anything to with the way the game is officiated? The rules of this game are determined by the owners. Go ask them your question.

Yeah, you’re whining about it so I’m asking how you arrived at this particular place of ignorance about the rulebook?

Saying the “owners made the rules” doesn’t address the question.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, you’re whining about it so I’m asking how you arrived at this particular place of ignorance about the rulebook?

Saying the “owners made the rules” doesn’t address the question.
Whining? LOL

One of the Cowboy's morning podcasts made the comment about the league's perspective, I just repeated them. The only original commentary I made was that I thought a rule change needs to happen. If you want to call that whining, so be it.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
That's not the point. For the one hundred zillionth time, my point is not that the rule was not applied correctly. My point is the rule should be .....

CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED

I'm not saying there's currently a requirement for the team to advance to the first down marker. I'm saying there should be such a requirement. In other words, not IS but ....

SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD
SHOULD

Back when fans were frustrated that officials couldn't use replay to fix a bad call, no sane fan was arguing that the refs should use replay in violation of the existing rules to verify or overturn a call. They were arguing that the game would be better if the rules were ....

CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED
CHANGED

I hope that clears things up.
Stop making sense. CalPoly wants to appear smarter than you

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Stop making sense. CalPoly wants to appear smarter than you

What’s comical is you still don’t get it and keep asking and supporting those making the same irrelevant point about the first down marker.

Your hurt feelings are palatable though and brings a smile to my face.

Thank you for that.

Last edited:

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
What’s comical is you still don’t get it and keep asking and supporting those making the same irrelevant point about the first down marker.

Your hurt feelings are palatable though and brings a smile to my face.

Thank you for that.

Your superior intellect knows exactly how people feel. Why would my hurt feelings bring a smile to your face. You really are showing what a jerk you are to everybody.
My intentions were never to take enjoyment from your hurt feelings. Believe my son , you dont have the mettle to hurt my feelings. Especially on a message board. Grow up.

We are saying the rule needs to be changed. Its OUR opinion. Just as valuable as your superior one.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I think that’s what people are missing
It’s basically a muffed punt and no different than any other punt
Your superior intellect knows exactly how people feel. Why would my hurt feelings bring a smile to your face. You really are showing what a jerk you are to everybody. So
My intentions were never to take enjoyment from your hurt feelings. Believe my son , you dont have the mettle to hurt my feelings. Especially on a message board. Grow up.

We are saying the rule needs to be changed. Its OUR opinion. Just as valuable as your superior one.
since that ball wasn't advanced to the first down marker, Denver shouldn't have gotten the ball back. The NFL changes rules all the time so that the fans don't have a clue what's going on. Nobody had a clue but the refs. Nobody can enjoy the game anymore.That was the only chance dallas had.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your superior intellect knows exactly how people feel. Why would my hurt feelings bring a smile to your face. You really are showing what a jerk you are to everybody.

Fantastic posturing.

You almost sound like you actually believe it.

quickccc

Reaction score
Listening to Stephen Jones, per 105.3 fan, I get the feeling that NFL league rules committee (to which Stephen is supposedly a member of ) will change this punt ruling in the offseason.
Too bad it has to haunt us as it is now.

:(

conner01

Reaction score
since that ball wasn't advanced to the first down marker, Denver shouldn't have gotten the ball back. The NFL changes rules all the time so that the fans don't have a clue what's going on. Nobody had a clue but the refs. Nobody can enjoy the game anymore.That was the only chance dallas had.
That would be hard to change
It’s the same rule as a muffed punt
If receiving team doesn’t touch the ball it’s goes to receiving team, but if it’s touched it’s a live ball
The touch beyond the LOS means the recovery is a first downs no matter where it’s recovered
The touching of the ball is the same as a fumble
That’s true on a FG or punt
Same rule that was in effect on the block FG with Leon Lett against Miami
Once he touched it past the line of scrimmage it’s a live ball
It’s not a new rule but one you rarely see because most blocked punts don’t pass the LOS

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Well Put......99% of the league to include the fans have never heard or seen the play before Sunday

Ren

Reaction score
Not seen anyone say it wasn’t the right call it just such a freak play that even the announcers were caught off guard by it

Last edited: