The Boys Most Pressing Offseason Need.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If we are going to improve an area..we need to do exactly like we did last year..

..focus the majority of your FA's and draft picks in those areas.

Last year, the major shift to the 3-4 defense dictated our drafting Ware, Spears, Canti, Burnett and FA signings with Henry, Ferguson and other defensive players such as Glenn.

Significant immediate improvement resulted and more improvement may occur with time.

I think the same now has to be done with the offense.

I've sort of felt that while we had QB's like Quincy and others, the team wasn't going to invest in much offensive help until a TE, RB and QB of quality could be found. Those have been found.

But unfortunately, the defense sprung it's collapse in 2004 and necessitated to all-out repair job to it in 2005.

So now the offense rebuilding must be completed...or for some, begun, with urgency.

I think while many want to say that if Adams hadn't gone down and Jones hadn't come up lame for half a season again..we'd have been better..

..I'm not convinced it's the real lynch-pin factors needing correcting and if corrected, will put us over the top.

I think we need an overhaul on the offense beginning with using all our top draft picks to shoreup the need positions..RT, G,center and WR..but not necessarily in that order. I think our top 1 or 2 FA acquisitions should also be focused in those areas, as well.

This offense in no way can stand pat.

We need an impact offensive draft this year much as we had for the defense last year.

We need new, young, talent and we also need another vet or 2 to step in right away to stabilize the uncertainty at the tackles and center positions.

If this is done, I'd see us making significant gains offensively.

Pettiti and Tucker are fine backups and will be strong as long as not needed to start.

But we are going to probably lose Guerode in FA and Johnson is not going to play at a high enough level for us to have a good OL and LA and Rivera need youth behind them to help them last a season with anything left in their tank for December.

If we use our high picks in the draft to take a RT, C and G to backup, learn and by mid-season, split time to keep vets fresh, we'll see improvement offensively. Same as we did with the defense last year.

By mid-season, vets were playing less and new bodies learned and played well. Vets got fewer snaps and were less injury-prone and worn down.

Replacement/backups must be found for both LA and Rivera with his back problems. Don't and we pay the price.

Don't improve the C position, and the running game and the passing game are going to suffer. Unfortunately, Dallas hasn't been willing to invest highly in the OL by draft or by FA until last year with Rivera's signing.

That's going to have to change somemore if we are going to rebuild the OL and ultimately the offense.

And make no mistake, this offense still has a lot of rebuilding or reworking before it will compete for a championship. While most of the starters can be utilized, I think it's time to invest the rest of any remaining cap money into the offense and it's short and long-term needs and jump start it like last year with the defense.

I think that the defense has most of the pieces in place. They need more, but I think the second year in the 3-4 and with one or 2 backup FA pickups found to add depth or be situational players and with the retaining of current vets such as Glover and Ellis, they will be fine. Burnett needs to get over his horrible rookie debut and step up, too.

But that's foreseeable.

But the offense needs strengthing and deepening immediately and while the Cowboys try to remain quiet or vague about their needs as FA period begins, I think we will see a big shift to offense in the coming months to make changes.

And I'm expecting some shakeups and surprises in this down the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas go after TO and let a guy like Glenn or Key go as a result. or another top WR.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas release LA and save his cap at this point in his career and instead target a 1st rouund player in the draft or top FA G to replace him at less money or go after other needs in FA and the draft.

And that might not be the end of it. It could prove interesting this off-season seeing how the Jints and 'Skins have leapfrogged us now after 2005 and just how Jerry and BP view next year and whether the gap can be closed without another aggressive off-season like last.

We'll see.

Parcellswaterboy

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
superpunk said:
But, it's not like Jansen was a new piece. He was working with the team the rpevious offseason, he's a vet, who knows what to do. Adams would fill a similar role, back from injury, even though he's not the player Jansen is.

But Dockery and Thomas were new to the team the year before...

Continuity is important, but talent rules! Dallas needs young talent.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I doubt that a first round OT would perform better than Pettiti, going into his second year.

Ridiculous.

Torrin Tucker was better in '04 than Petitti was in '05. Kurt fricking Vollers was better.

Petitti may improve but you've gotta be on drugs to think a guy like Wiston Justice wouldn't be a major upgrade.

There is no way we should let this guy go into '06 without serious competition for a BACKUP spot.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Given another year in the system, and time to work on his physical game, I'm confident Pettiti would be a better option going into the season than any player we could get our hands on in the draft.

You apparently don't know much about football then.

Or you're just a huge homer.

superpunk

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
Tell me this guy isn't serious.

Um....I'm not serious. :liarliar: Feel any better? If not, feel free to cite me specific examples with reasoning behind them as to why safety is such a pressing offseason need.

superpunk

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
You apparently don't know much about football then.

Or you're just a huge homer.

Cool. You can keep with the insults, and incredulous remarks....or you could add something of value to the conversation, maybe actually use some creative reasoning. It's up to you. :rolleyes:

mschmidt64

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Cool. You can keep with the insults, and incredulous remarks....or you could add something of value to the conversation, maybe actually use some creative reasoning. It's up to you. :rolleyes:

I don't know what else to tell you.

It's like saying Cundiff was just in a slump and he'll come out of, I doubt we'll find any better kicker in free agency.

Um, no.

You're wrong. In fact, most of the first day OTs, and probably a good number of the second day OTs, could probably start over Petitti next year.

As far as FS goes, Keith Davis just isn't starting material.

In this thread, you basically told the board that the Cowboys two biggest holes that were exploited over and over again during the regular season were actually fine.

I like winning, so I am forced to disagree.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Right. And I doubt a rookie OT is going to be any sort of improvement over Pettiti.

What? Did you see how badly Petitti played last year? It wouldn't take much of improve that position.

That said, I'd prefer a veteran RT anyway. I think Petitti has SOME potential, but it would be good for him to sit behing a veteran for 2-3 years before starting fulltime.

superpunk

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
I don't know what else to tell you.

It's like saying Cundiff was just in a slump and he'll come out of, I doubt we'll find any better kicker in free agency.

Um, no.

You're wrong. In fact, most of the first day OTs, and probably a good number of the second day OTs, could probably start over Petitti next year.

As far as FS goes, Keith Davis just isn't starting material.

In this thread, you basically told the board that the Cowboys two biggest holes that were exploited over and over again during the regular season were actually fine.

I like winning, so I am forced to disagree.

I also backed up my claim by showing how important continuity is to an offensive line. I think given another year, Pettiti will improve, and be better (at least for a year) than any OT we would plug in there through the draft. After all, that OT would be learning, same as pettiti did last year. At least Pettiti knows the system. People should be brought in to compete, though, I agree completely with that.

Again, you make this statement about keith after a single year? these are basically rookies you're talking about. Ware screwed up PLENTY this season, should we bail on him? Thompson is very susceptible to fumbles, should we ditch him? Bailing on players after a single year is a mistake. Look how well james is playing now.

Our BIGGEST holes are at LB, where 2 of the 4 positions are currently in limbo. I believe the ancient proverb says;

In a 3-4 defense, a horde of serviceable LBs covers a multitude of deficiencies.

Or maybe that's in Psalms....In any case, stacking up on LBs, will help us in all areas of our defense, including coverage.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack said:
What? Did you see how badly Petitti played last year? It wouldn't take much of improve that position.

That said, I'd prefer a veteran RT anyway. I think Petitti has SOME potential, but it would be good for him to sit behing a veteran for 2-3 years before starting fulltime.

I don't know if I just worded it wrong, or what....but gosh, people are having a hard time with that statement, LOL.

Read it in context. Don't you think, if we replace Pettiti with another rookie, that the rookie RT is going to make alot of the same mistakes Pettiti made this year? At least Pettiti will have the experience. But a vet should definitely be brought in to compete. And, if Pettiti wins out - more power to him.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I feel better now, knowing all we have to do is bring in 6th round draft choices for the O Line and just allow them to play together.

We don't need talent just allow people to play together.

Brilliant!

mschmidt64

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I also backed up my claim by showing how important continuity is to an offensive line.

That doesn't back up your claim that we can't find a better OT in the draft.

Continuity is good but it doesn't work when your OTs are not starting material.

superpunk said:
I think given another year, Pettiti will improve, and be better (at least for a year) than any OT we would plug in there through the draft.

Yeah.

That's the part I said was ridiculous. Saying it a few more times doesn't make it true.

superpunk said:
People should be brought in to compete, though, I agree completely with that.

The position should be treated like we don't have a starter. That means we've got to find a quality guy either in the draft or free agency.

He can "compete" with Petitti but by signing a guy like Backus or Ashworth or drafting a guy like Winston Justice or Marcus McNeill, it will effectively end all competition.

superpunk said:
Again, you make this statement about keith after a single year? these are basically rookies you're talking about. Ware screwed up PLENTY this season, should we bail on him? Thompson is very susceptible to fumbles, should we ditch him? Bailing on players after a single year is a mistake. Look how well james is playing now.

I'm not stupid enough to advocate entering the season in '06 with Super Bowl aspirations and yet not fix a position that was an obvious weak spot. Ware wasn't a weak spot, so the comparison has zero relevance.

I didn't say cut Davis and I didn't say cut Petitti.

But I will not leave these positions unaddressed and then expect to be any better next year.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Read it in context. Don't you think, if we replace Pettiti with another rookie, that the rookie RT is going to make alot of the same mistakes Pettiti made this year?

No.

And this is how I am sure you don't know what you are talking about.

You act like Petitti's problems were all mental or something.

They weren't.

He just got beat.

He got beat by speed rushers. He got beat by power rushers. He got beat because he was easily thrown off balance. He got beat because he has bad footwork.

I can name ten OTs in this draft without even thinking that don't have those same problems.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I don't know if I just worded it wrong, or what....but gosh, people are having a hard time with that statement, LOL.

Read it in context. Don't you think, if we replace Pettiti with another rookie, that the rookie RT is going to make alot of the same mistakes Pettiti made this year? At least Pettiti will have the experience. But a vet should definitely be brought in to compete. And, if Pettiti wins out - more power to him.

Speaking of having a hard time reading...

I like Petitti, but he's not good enough to start yet. I don't want another rookie in there. No way, no how. Not cuz I think a rookie would do no better then Petitti (there's no doubt in my mind another rookie would outperform him, depending on who that rookie might be). I want a veteran for 2 reasons. 1) I don't want to have to go through ANY rookie growing pains again next season. 2) Petitti will be ok in a couple of seasons. He just needs to be able to learn from the bench for awhile.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Rack said:
Petitti will be ok in a couple of seasons. He just needs to be able to learn from the bench for awhile.

I've got no problem adding a franchise OT like Winston Justice if he's there.

Flozell ain't gonna be here forever. If Petitti takes 2-3 years to develop, Flo may be gone by then.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
I've got no problem adding a franchise OT like Winston Justice if he's there.

Flozell ain't gonna be here forever. If Petitti takes 2-3 years to develop, Flo may be gone by then.

True. But it all depends on where we pick this tackle. I think Justice is a bit overhyped at the moment. I think he'll end up being a 2nd round pick. If we get him in the 2nd, fine. Although picking another USC tackle in the second round has "Bad Omen" written all over it. Although I believed even two years ago that we reached (big time) for Jacob Rogers.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Rack said:
True. But it all depends on where we pick this tackle. I think Justice is a bit overhyped at the moment. I think he'll end up being a 2nd round pick. If we get him in the 2nd, fine. Although picking another USC tackle in the second round has "Bad Omen" written all over it. Although I believed even two years ago that we reached (big time) for Jacob Rogers.

I strongly disagree.

Winston Justice is going to be a very good tackle.

Jacob Rogers would have been fine but he's brittle like glass. Justice does not share those same injury problems.

If you subtract those concerns, and you look at him from a talent standpoint, Justice is legit and much better than Rogers (a player who himself was not a liability talent-wise).

I actually still kind of hope Rogers gets healthy and backs up Flozell.

I'd love to get Winston Justice though. He'll be excellent, book it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Rogers won't be on the team next year. That's a given.

I still think Justice is overrated. A solid tackle, but there will be far better players (players at a position of need) available at #18.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Rack said:
Rogers won't be on the team next year. That's a given.

I still think Justice is overrated. A solid tackle, but there will be far better players (players at a position of need) available at #18.

Such as?

I think I'm gonna end up with Winston Justice about the 10th best player on my board.