The "Brotherly Shove"

leeblair

Reaction score
I think Dallas can put a stop to the "Brotherly Shove" by the Eagles on Sunday.
Most probably don't know that it is a version of the "flying wedge" that was outlawed by the NFL back in 1905 due to the injuries it caused.
The "Brotherly Shove" is a rugby derived strategy, but it is also a tank formation used in battle.
And it can be stopped, if the defense attacks in a pincer movement, attacking each side of the offensive formation.
The fact that the Eagles have been allowed to run it is surprising, given that the NFL banned it so long ago because of the injuries caused by running, and by stopping it, at the behest of Theodore Roosevelt, no less. Because it is being used only in short yardage situations may be the reason that the NFL has not flagged it yet. But in the open field at full speed, it can be dangerous.
But it is illegal already.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most probably don't know that it is a version of the "flying wedge" that was outlawed by the NFL back in 1905 due to the injuries it caused.
The "Brotherly Shove" is a rugby derived strategy, but it is also a tank formation used in battle.
And it can be stopped, if the defense attacks in a pincer movement, attacking each side of the offensive formation.
The fact that the Eagles have been allowed to run it is surprising, given that the NFL banned it so long ago because of the injuries caused by running, and by stopping it, at the behest of Theodore Roosevelt, no less. Because it is being used only in short yardage situations may be the reason that the NFL has not flagged it yet. But in the open field at full speed, it can be dangerous.
1905?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Watch this rugby play...... I don't think this is what Philthy does. Somewhat similar, but without the 5 to 10 yard run up to the push:

Either way, the Iggles will not stop using this play until either Hurts gets seriously injured or the NFL puts an end to it. Until then teams just have to keep doing the best they can against it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch this rugby play...... I don't think this is what Philthy does. Somewhat similar, but without the 5 to 10 yard run up to the push:

Either way, the Iggles will not stop using this play until either Hurts gets seriously injured or the NFL puts an end to it. Until then teams just have to keep doing the best they can against it.

Nick Sirianni likely adapted the same concept. The major difference between the flying wedge and the tush push is the running start in rugby.

acr731

Reaction score
I was thinking the same as you so I googled it. The NFL didn't ban the wedge in 1905, they couldn't have because they didn't even start play as a league until 1920. The NFL didn't officially ban wedge plays until 2009. However, Teddy Roosevelt campaigned to have the original flying wedge removed from football, and yes, that was in 1905. But this was for college football, not the NFL.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking the same as you so I googled it. The NFL didn't bad the wedge in 1905, they didn't even start play as a league until 1920. The NFL didn't officially ban wedge plays in 2009. However, Teddy Roosevelt campaigned to have the original flying wedge removed from football, and yes, that was in 1905. But his was for college football, not the NFL.
Thanks but I was hoping the OP could explain how Roosevelt's ghost convinced league members through time travel.

acr731

Reaction score
Thanks but I was hoping the OP could explain how Roosevelt's ghost convinced league members through time travel.
Good point since he died a year before the NFL played their first game.

leeblair

Reaction score
Yeah, I made a mistake there, and for that I sincerely apologize.
But it was banned in 1905 and my memory was off in that I thought it was the NFL that did it. I read about it as a kid, and tried to recall it, but I made a mistake.
And the NFL formally adopted the "wedge" rule in 2009, and that play is also the reason for the requirements for the number of men on the line of scrimmage.
And the point is that it is already illegal.

ghst187

Reaction score
Most of my friends think I hate that play because the Eagles are good at it. I hate it because it's not real football. It's more of a rugby play. No one can convince me otherwise
I hate it because both

leeblair

Reaction score
Nick Sirianni likely adapted the same concept. The major difference between the flying wedge and the tush push is the running start in rugby.
The Cowboys can crash the center and Hurts from either side and should be able to stop the play.
The idea is to use leverage to hit the center from the side instead of head-on and topple him.
They can make it too painful for Hurts to run It by teeing off and hitting him from the side.
I would have thought that Quinn would have already figured this out by now.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
The cowboys are not stopping it. Tip your hat and move on. Just don’t allow a big play on it.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
should be able to stop the play.

that is an impressive display of arrogance. Not only are you smarter than our DC, you are smarter than every other DC in football. Bravo. I’m glad you are on our side.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys can crash the center and Hurts from either side and should be able to stop the play.
The idea is to use leverage to hit the center from the side instead of head-on and topple him.
They can make it too painful for Hurts to run It by teeing off and hitting him from the side.
Question. If Dan Quinn had an opportunity to assess your idea, do you think afterwards he would say, "Good grief?"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unfortunately, by the time they get him from the sides, he'll have already gone 2 or 3 yards. That strategy seems sound, if the object is to take him down eventually, but they need to stop his forward motion at or before the LoS, which means attacking from the front. Dive at the feet of the center and have someone else dive over the fallen center. It's still not a sure thing, but at least there's a chance of stopping Hurts's momentum.