The "Brotherly Shove"

Surfguy

Reaction score
We can stop it! At the moment the two guys push Hurts up and forward from behind, then our guy comes in with a sword and decapitates Hurts. Problem solved. ;)

kramskoi

Reaction score
Jeeze... they found a way to move the ball using the 11 guys on the field. No invisible rope and a truck or other tools involved. It doesn't mean crap that it looks like a rugby play or whatever. Don't complain. Don't ban. Just figure it out. Otherwise they'll get their first down / touchdown and earned it. If Hurts gets hurt? Their problem.

Period.
Just "figure it out". Right. You "might" stop it one time in 20...or 30...and even then it will likely be only because the ball is fumbled. You either ban it or let defensive players use leverage in the same way...and then the risk for serious injuries increase. Even if Dallas was effective using it I would still have no problem with it being banned. Detente. I don't have it...you don't have it. Now let's go play football.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Unfortunately, by the time they get him from the sides, he'll have already gone 2 or 3 yards. That strategy seems sound, if the object is to take him down eventually, but they need to stop his forward motion at or before the LoS, which means attacking from the front. Dive at the feet of the center and have someone else dive over the fallen center. It's still not a sure thing, but at least there's a chance of stopping Hurts's momentum.
Agreed. What about attacking at angles and tush push up the middle with LB and safety?

The DL submarines and LB goes high with safety driving him forward. Safety could get a running start from 5 yards back and not crush the LBer, but provide counterforce to Hurts.

LBers and safety have to beat them to the punch. It's about beating them to the spot with speed and momentum.

Still likely to fail...

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The key to beating the Eagles short yardage offense is to get ahead of them by two scores. I think Hurts is a limited passer and you want to make the Eagles one dimensional. Not going to be easy.

Jarntt

Reaction score
The Cowboys can crash the center and Hurts from either side and should be able to stop the play.
The idea is to use leverage to hit the center from the side instead of head-on and topple him.
They can make it too painful for Hurts to run It by teeing off and hitting him from the side.
I would have thought that Quinn would have already figured this out by now.
I can’t see how hitting the center from the side is going to work? His job is to just get forward a little bit and if you hit him from the side it means he has already moved forward enough unless you are planning on lining up offsides. plus as you are pushing him from the side he’s going to keep moving slightly more forward. You need to clog the middle at the LOS and keep the pike at or behind the LOS. I’m not sure how to successfully do that. no one seems to really have been able to do it yet.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I have never heard so much concern over a play designed to get 1 yard....I am a diehard fan and have been for decades, I haven't given the "Tush-Push" more than 2 minutes of thought, some of ya'll need real life hobbies......

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Most of my friends think I hate that play because the Eagles are good at it. I hate it because it's not real football. It's more of a rugby play. No one can convince me otherwise
Navy almost stole a game yesterday with that stupid play. It’s not real football. Refs are quick to blow the whistle for the QBs but they swallow the whistle on that play. Classic NFL stupidity.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hard to believe anyone is stopping it at this point. There's been plenty of time to figure it out and no one has.
It’s kind of impossible to stop actually. Refs just stare at it. Eventually defenders tire.

Reactions: CWR

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I watched Hurts squat 600 in college. That helps a lot.
Oh yeah he is solid. Plus that OL is pretty good too. If the refs stare at the play and swallow the whistle he will gain yardage every play.

Reactions: CWR

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's 99.99% effective. DAL ain't stopping crap.
I just keep saying step on the players run over the top of them. Put your cleats in their back. They’ll stop running it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dallas can put a stop to the "Brotherly Shove" by the Eagles on Sunday.
Most probably don't know that it is a version of the "flying wedge" that was outlawed by the NFL back in 1905 due to the injuries it caused.
The "Brotherly Shove" is a rugby derived strategy, but it is also a tank formation used in battle.
And it can be stopped, if the defense attacks in a pincer movement, attacking each side of the offensive formation.
The fact that the Eagles have been allowed to run it is surprising, given that the NFL banned it so long ago because of the injuries caused by running, and by stopping it, at the behest of Theodore Roosevelt, no less. Because it is being used only in short yardage situations may be the reason that the NFL has not flagged it yet. But in the open field at full speed, it can be dangerous.
But it is illegal already.
I did notice there is a slight delay before the big push takes place. Maybe we can fly some speedsters around the corner?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The only way to stop this play is to outlaw it. The NFL front office needs to get right on that in the offseason. Eagles enjoy your cheat play while you can. It's not football, it's rugby.

coult44

Reaction score
I think Dallas can put a stop to the "Brotherly Shove" by the Eagles on Sunday.
Most probably don't know that it is a version of the "flying wedge" that was outlawed by the NFL back in 1905 due to the injuries it caused.
The "Brotherly Shove" is a rugby derived strategy, but it is also a tank formation used in battle.
And it can be stopped, if the defense attacks in a pincer movement, attacking each side of the offensive formation.
The fact that the Eagles have been allowed to run it is surprising, given that the NFL banned it so long ago because of the injuries caused by running, and by stopping it, at the behest of Theodore Roosevelt, no less. Because it is being used only in short yardage situations may be the reason that the NFL has not flagged it yet. But in the open field at full speed, it can be dangerous.
But it is illegal already.
How you stop it is someone coming from behind and horse collaring Hurts while his body is still entrenched. I know, i know, but at this point, who cares.

Hardline

Reaction score
All I know is if the iggles are on our 1 yard line and they cant gain a first down or penalty yardage, I tell my DL to fire off into the iggles OL as soon as the center puts his hands on the ball and not stop.