Twitter: The Cardinals Just Made Kyler Murray The Second Highest Paid QB Per Year

Dre11

Reaction score
Every team that doesn't currently have Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Herbert, or Stafford should be looking to upgrade the position UNLESS you have a really young guy on a rookie contract you believe in.

Paying your middle of the pack QB more than all but 1 of those guys listed above is a losing formula.

Lol...what GM lasts with that mindset...lol the only team that can even think about doing that is Dallas.. lol

817Gill

Reaction score
Another teams mistakes should not make you feel better about the Cowboys mistakes.

You only pay top dollar for top talent, not because "it's their turn to get paid".
Sorry to double quote you but you’re stating what should be, not what reality is. No team operates like that man. Nobody.

You have to accept that teams want to be relevant and GM’s wanna keep their jobs. Any team with a good to solid QB is going to resign him for top dollar because another team will and they don’t want to be the team with a crappy record and crappy attendance.

It’s not “another teams mistakes making you feel better”. It’s the reality of every team in the league. The only team to punt on their top 16 guy was Washington and they are no better today for it. It’s just the culture of the league man, what you’re suggesting isn’t realistically going to be practiced by GM’s unless their owners tell them the team can suck and they won’t get fired.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yeah, they're probably wishing they'd let Kyler walk and draft the next Josh Rosen. :rolleyes:

See above.

Say it all you want but that will never apply to the QB position. Half of first round picks at that position bust, so the idea that you just let guys walk and draft another one sounds better in theory than it plays out in reality.

Arizona just had their best season with Murray got back to the playoffs for the first time since 2015. Just let him walk next year and draft another one? Go take a look back at the Cardinals' history of drafting QBs.

Thank you! People just complaining into the ether about something that won’t change. It’s not a Dallas issue this is just how the league works.

817Gill

Reaction score
Parsons is top talent, therefore will be deserving of the top money that he gets.

That's why I said you should only pay top money to top talent and not pay someone "just because it's their turn". Murray is not and will never be worth what he just got paid. I would have 100% allowed another team to make that mistake instead of being the team that makes it.
And then the owner would have fired you in 2 seasons when you don’t have an upgrade at QB. You’re thinking about this solely as a fan and not from a franchise point of view.

This the NFL which is the league of parity. You have a QB who can make you competitive and give you a chance you sign him to the contract the market dictates. Plain and simple. This isn’t my preference it’s just reality.

I’m glad most of the thread sees it this way too. Used to have to fight in the Dak pre-contract days about how this works. Guess after seeing that all franchises operate like this a-lot of us have calmed down.

Keep fighting the good fight against NFL contracts though. I’m sure one of these owners will hear ya and tell the rest of them to stop paying non elite guys. Maybe you’ll be the one that changes it, who knows lol.

817Gill

Reaction score
This is life in the NFL, you have to pay a good QB top dollar even if they’re not an elite player or you’ll be stuck with an average QB. Cardinal fans would be hating life a lot more if they were stuck with a cast off at QB who isn’t even a top 20 QB. Murray at least gives them a chance.
Exactly

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Oh my god thank y’all! Finally we are accepting that this is how it works! Maybe other fanbases don’t have these issues but man we are so obsessed with salaries you’d think we were taxed and paying these guys ourselves.

If your QB is a top 15 guy and gives you chance to be a competitive team he’s going to get top dollar. We have to accept this and stop shaking our fist at the sky.
I think it's more a few peeps think they have an ironclad debate point and are just waiting for an argument when reality shows that their point is moot.
Because it's not happening.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think it's more a few peeps think they have an ironclad debate point and are just waiting for an argument when reality shows that their point is moot.
Because it's not happening.
Exactly. Brings me hope though cause when we were arguing this with Dak, that we don’t want to pay 40 but it is what it is, a lot of people were staunchly against it.

Nice to see the growth of the board to seeing that some things just are what they are.

817Gill

Reaction score
The rumor was the Watson deal, 230 guaranteed, so at 160M that is the same as Prescott and this drops him down another slot to a tie for 7th.

Soon Prescott will be out of the top 10 so I hope those irate at his deal are consoled with that.

The fears they would not be able to field a team were unfounded as well because they are 2nd with cap money going into camp and they do not play with the big boys in free agency. And money is not why Cooper is gone, they didn't want Collins or Williams any longer and they screwed the Gregory deal up, which make me happy.

The price of QB's has little to do with accomplishment and everything to do with the price of QB's. 40 is the new 20.
Preach!

erod

Reaction score
What year will we see our first $100 per year quarterback?

I predict 2028.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yup

You could either lose by trying to find an elite QB in the draft or lose by overpaying a QB not worth it, wasting years with said QB, then try and find a replacement 5 years later.

I know which one of those scenarios I'm signing up for.
And get fired and lose your job as a GM. Especially when the hit rate on elite QB’s is extremely low.

Think in terms of real human decisions, not Madden or fanbase thinking.

Elite QB’s don’t grow on trees. You can draft in the top 5 every year for 20 years and not find a guy. It’s not playing scared it’s risk vs reward. That’s why no actual NFL GM would do things the way you are suggesting. It’s purely Madden talk.

phillycard

Reaction score
It's what the market bears. I'm good with it. Beats the alternative, waiting years to find a franchise qb. Our record in that regard has been less than stellar.

817Gill

Reaction score
You can’t continue spinning the wheel for that one in a generation Elite QB. If you find one good enough to take you to the playoffs , that’s enough to build around.

Franchises are a business and as Jethro has illustrated interesting and relative puts butts in the seats and sells merchandise .

You can’t continue putting up 4-13 seasons continuing to look for the next Elite QB. It’s simply not good business. If it happens fine but you must move on and do best you can with what you have. There’s just not enough Elite QB’s for 32 teams.
Yes!

Bates

Reaction score
Sorry to double quote you but you’re stating what should be, not what reality is. No team operates like that man. Nobody.

You have to accept that teams want to be relevant and GM’s wanna keep their jobs. Any team with a good to solid QB is going to resign him for top dollar because another team will and they don’t want to be the team with a crappy record and crappy attendance.

It’s not “another teams mistakes making you feel better”. It’s the reality of every team in the league. The only team to punt on their top 16 guy was Washington and they are no better today for it. It’s just the culture of the league man, what you’re suggesting isn’t realistically going to be practiced by GM’s unless their owners tell them the team can suck and they won’t get fired.

1x Winning Qbs who I believe are the bottom Superbowl winning QBs (11 superbowl wins). Dudes you can obviously win a SB with, who aren't elite, as they actually did it:
Jim Plunkett
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning?
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles

Multi SB Winners(roughly 30 SB Wins - the 4 elite teams really skew this - Dallas; Pitt, 49ers, Patriots - 20 SB wins):
Starr 2x
Griese 2x
Bradshaw 4x
Staubach 2x
Montana 4x
Aikman 3x
Elway 2x
Brady 7x?
Roethlisberger? 2x?
Both Mannings 2x

You just don't go and find a good QB in the draft every 3 years if the qb you have is good but not great. 10 qbs have made up the majority of qbs who have won a SB.

*my math may be off. had a few beers at the dock after work :)

817Gill

Reaction score
The sad thing about it, is you have alot of people who aren't mentally bright enough to understand that this is how the league's pay scale works. There is one maybe two quarterbacks who are truly deserving of their max contracts in the NFL.

The dumb will never grasp the concept, thats why they cry and moan about Dak's contract.
Yup!

817Gill

Reaction score
Dude when was the last time a draft produced that many NFL caliber QBs? Generally it's been considered a haul when 5 or 6 show up.
12 is nuts lmaoo. Maybe 12 legit prospects but no more than 4/5 will be good starters or more.

817Gill

Reaction score
1x Winning Qbs who I believe are the bottom Superbowl winning QBs (11 superbowl wins). Dudes you can obviously win a SB with, who aren't elite, as they actually did it:
Jim Plunkett
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning?
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles

Multi SB Winners(roughly 30 SB Wins - the 4 elite teams really skew this - Dallas; Pitt, 49ers, Patriots - 20 SB wins):
Starr 2x
Griese 2x
Bradshaw 4x
Staubach 2x
Montana 4x
Aikman 3x
Elway 2x
Brady 7x?
Roethlisberger? 2x?
Both Mannings 2x

You just don't go and find a good QB in the draft every 3 years if the qb you have is good but not great. 10 qbs have made up the majority of qbs who have won a SB.

*my math may be off. had a few beers at the dock after work :)
You’re spot on!