The Case For OL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. When was this once proud franchise a dynasty? When we had an OL that was opening holes for our running game and protecting our QB.

2011...5 rushing TDs
2010...10 rushing TDs
2009...14 rushing TDs
2008...12 rushing TDs

41 TDs over a 4 year span.

Contrast that to Emmitt Smith alone over the 4 year span of our Dynasty years.

1992...18 rushing TDs
1993...9 rushing TDs
1994...21 rushing TDs
1995...25 rushing TDs

73 rushing TDs over a 4 year span and this doesn't even allow for the rest of the team.

Fix the OL, open holes for Murray and protect Tony Romo. This team cannot be beat.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All true. But I have to ask....

Is this like your FA thread where if we don't address it, you'll still love the decision?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Hostile;4507274 said:
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. When was this once proud franchise a dynasty? When we had an OL that was opening holes for our running game and protecting our QB.

2011...5 rushing TDs
2010...10 rushing TDs
2009...14 rushing TDs
2008...12 rushing TDs

There are many other circumstances effecting the NFL rushing stats besides Garretts' inability in the RedZone.

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4507276 said:

Is this like your FA thread where if we don't address it, you'll still love the decision?
What?

Macnalty

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4507284 said:
There are many other circumstances effecting the NFL rushing stats besides Garretts' inability in the RedZone.

:)

I agree and most of it involves no push up front in the middle of the OLine. We are so close on the O to getting it right. Wish there was a better alternative than Jones and Konz for Center, I think both are similar in talent to our FA pickups only they play center.

Woods

Reaction score
This could end up being a wierd draft.

By that I mean, I could see us drafting DeCastro, Konz, or Zeitler very early.

On the other hand, I could also see us going defense early and often and not drafting for the OL until Day 3.

I agree that DeCastro would be the safe pick in Round 1, assuming he's available. But from reading the tea leaves, I get the distinct feeling the organization prefers to go defense early, at least in Round 1.

In Round 2, we could even go TE or RB, and I wouldn't be shocked anymore.

I still would love to see us either draft an OC outright, or draft a guy like DeCastro and move one of the other guys to OC (like the pick up from Carolina, for example, who has some experience there) or try to also get Blake in the 4th along with DeCastro in Round 1.

I'm personally not as keen on drafting Konz in the teens. Would prefer to draft DeCastro instead.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Woods;4507293 said:
This could end up being a wierd draft.

By that I mean, I could see us drafting DeCastro, Konz, or Zeitler very early.

On the other hand, I could also see us going defense early and often and not drafting for the OL until Day 3.

I agree that DeCastro would be the safe pick in Round 1, assuming he's available. But from reading the tea leaves, I get the distinct feeling the organization prefers to go defense early, at least in Round 1.

In Round 2, we could even go TE or RB, and I wouldn't be shocked anymore.

I still would love to see us either draft an OC outright, or draft a guy like DeCastro and move one of the other guys to OC (like the pick up from Carolina, for example, who has some experience there) or try to also get Blake in the 4th.
Make no mistake about it, we are going to go Defense heavy in this Draft. I know that is going to happen. I just don't think it is the right way to go.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4507285 said:

You told us all before FA started that this FA period had to be about an aggressive overhaul of the OL. It was priority #1. All other issues paled in comparison. Which I thought couldn't have been more right.

Then about 5 days later you told us how excited you were about the direction of the team after signing Brandon Carr to 10 million a year and sifting through the couch cushions for Nate Livings and MacKenzie Bernadeau.

All I'm asking now with this draft plan is if they ignore your pleas again, will that fact actually reflect in your perception of the results?

Or were Livings and Bernadeau what you had in mind when this all started?

visionary

Reaction score
Risen Star;4507276 said:

ouch
that will leave a mark ;)

Woods

Reaction score
Macnalty;4507290 said:
I agree and most of it involves no push up front in the middle of the OLine. We are so close on the O to getting it right. Wish there was a better alternative than Jones and Konz for Center, I think both are similar in talent to our FA pickups only they play center.

I guess if the season were to start today, Costa would be penciled in as the starter, with Killer pushing. Nagy could figure into the mix as well, I suppose.

For me, OC is concerning, and I think we could even find a competent starter at that position Day 2 or early Day 3.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The case for defense:

In 2011, we had a good offense. In 2011, we had a bad defense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
visionary;4507299 said:
ouch
that will leave a mark ;)

Hey, I'm not looking to give him any grief I'm just seriously asking if he'll be consistent this time. If OL is the way to go in this draft and the Cowboys don't go that way, let's not read how excited you are with this draft class.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4507296 said:
You told us all before FA started that this FA period had to be about an aggressive overhaul of the OL. It was priority #1. All other issues paled in comparison. Which I thought couldn't have been more right.

Then about 5 days later you told us how excited you were about the direction of the team after signing Brandon Carr to 10 million a year and sifting through the couch cushions for Nate Livings and MacKenzie Bernadeau.

All I'm asking now with this draft plan is if they ignore your pleas again, will that fact actually reflect in your perception of the results?

Or were Livings and Bernadeau what you had in mind when this all started?
I believe my posts would reflect the fact that I still believe that. I've pimped DeCastro and Konz as being what we need to be in the Super Bowl and win it. I doubt you can find a thread where I've liked any Defensive player at 14.

I also don't believe you can find a single post where I am excited about either Livings or Bernadeau. I expressed excitement over the Free Agency Haul. I certainly do not deny that.

I figured we'd stick with Fiammetta. I actually like Vickers better. The only FB in the NFL I like better is probably Vonta Leach. I am this forums biggest FB shill. Last year my pet cat was Henry Hynoski. We drafted Shaun Chapas, and Hynoski went UDFA to the Giants. Chapas looks like a PS guy. Hynoski looks like a pro. I like Vickers even more than I liked Hynoski. It makes me happy. I won't apologize for being excited about a FB I truly think is a difference maker.

I thought Dan Connors was a lock to the Eagles. He is from Pennsylvania and I read one time that he was an Eagles fan. They have LB needs. I didn't think we had a prayer of landing him. I'll take him over Bradie James or Keith Brooking this year any time. I feel like with him and Carter working with Lee we have the makings of a solid ILB corps. I'd like to add someone in the Draft and I think my mocks have all reflected this.

I didn't think we had a realistic shot at Kyle Orton. If you look back I was talking about Jason Campbell as our best hope at backup QB. I wanted us to take Orton with a waiver claim last year when Denver let him go. We did, but so did the Chiefs and we lost out. I am shocked he agreed to come here as Tony's backup when he possibly could have started for several other teams including Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, or Cleveland for example. Hell, he could have started for the Chiefs again. I won't apologize for being excited that we landed what I think is the best backup we possibly could have.

I know you're not into paying CBs high dollars. I am not on that same train. I really don't care what we pay someone as long as we remain under the cap and improve the team. I do believe Carr will be an improvement over Newman. I didn't dislike Newman, but his time had come and gone. His cost was prohibitive and the results weren't there. I believe Carr's press coverage abilities will allow us to improve defensively. I have nothing against doing that in the D-Backfield. It doesn't bother me. It clearly does bother you. I've never come after you for how you feel about that. Clearly if someone does not agree with you 100% you feel you have to come after them in some other way such as this. That's cool, just don't put thoughts into my head and words in my mouth.

I am excited about the team in 2012. I won't deny it. I think Woicik having a full off season is to our advantage in a huge way. I heard from one guy recently that when he went by VR he was impressed with how many of our guys are there hitting the training hard. It excites me. Football has a way of doing that to me. If you can't be excited unless you get every toy on your list, I can't help you.

I wanted Nicks pretty bad. I liked Grubbs too. I am hopeful the scouting department sees things in Livings and Bernadeau that I am unaware of, but that has never stopped me from wanting DeCastro above all other players in the Draft and I have never moved from my belief that OL has to be our #1 priority. You cannot show me where I have said, "Hey, we're done on OL, let's fix DBs and DL." You can't do it because I have never thought it.

Oh, and not to be too flip about it, but I'd have been excited about Free Agency if the only thing we had done so far was to get rid of a 2nd Kicker. In case you didn't know it, I hate Kickers.

That last part was strictly for fun. Just making that clear.

Yes, I am excited. I am sorry that you aren't. I can't help you there. You have to do that yourself.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods;4507309 said:
I guess if the season were to start today, Costa would be penciled in as the starter, with Killer pushing. Nagy could figure into the mix as well, I suppose.

For me, OC is concerning, and I think we could even find a competent starter at that position Day 2 or early Day 3.

Costa, Kowalski and Nagy. If that doesn't give you a panic attack I question your sanity.

visionary

Reaction score
Risen Star;4507318 said:
Hey, I'm not looking to give him any grief I'm just seriously asking if he'll be consistent this time. If OL is the way to go in this draft and the Cowboys don't go that way, let's not read how excited you are with this draft class.

read post#7 in this thread :laugh2:
he has already made plans both ways

all hail at the altar of RJ, JJ, and SJ
they can do no wrong
bow thy heads (and have the anointing oil ready) all ye who enter here

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
visionary;4507327 said:
read post#7 in this thread :laugh2:
he has already made plans both ways

all hail at the altar of RJ, JJ, and SJ
they can do no wrong
bow thy heads (and have the anointing oil ready) all ye who enter here
Yeah, because me saying I don't believe it is the right way to go doesn't register in your thinking at all.

You amaze me and not in good ways.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile, I'm not excited because the clear cut #1 issue we agreed on hasn't been seriously addressed. The same issue you told us had to be fixed or else. We couldn't win without Romo.

Until that issue is fixed with players with a little pedigree, I don't know how I'm supposed to be excited. Orton, Vickers, Connor, Pool were all nice but they don't help address this critical must fix need. I see us still lining up on Sundays and not being good enough in the trenches.

People keep pointing to the draft. The problem with that is you don't know what will be there and you don't want to pick a lesser player when you're on the board. And considering we had 3 OL spots that needed to be upgraded it's highly unlikely to think this team is gonna get that kind of impact from this draft class. We have a hard enough time finding one much less three.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Hostile;4507294 said:
Make no mistake about it, we are going to go Defense heavy in this Draft. I know that is going to happen. I just don't think it is the right way to go.

That was also the prevailing sentiment last year.

Stephen Jones was even asked about the lack of adding defensive help in the post-draft presser. Jones said it was simply how the board dictated they draft.

The team has needs on both sides of the ball, some will go unanswered, there's no way around that.

I hope they follow the board as closely as possible and just focus on adding good players.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4507331 said:
Hostile, I'm not excited because the clear cut #1 issue we agreed on hasn't been seriously addressed. The same issue you told us had to be fixed or else. We couldn't win without Romo.

Until that issue is fixed with players with a little pedigree, I don't know how I'm supposed to be excited. Orton, Vickers, Connor, Pool were all nice but they don't help address this critical must fix need. I see us still lining up on Sundays and not being good enough in the trenches.

People keep pointing to the draft. The problem with that is you don't know what will be there and you don't want to pick a lesser player when you're on the board. And considering we had 3 OL spots that needed to be upgraded it's highly unlikely to think this team is gonna get that kind of impact from this draft class. We have a hard enough time finding one much less three.
That is you. Please don't push your feelings onto me and expect me to goose step.

I like those signings. I am going to stand by that if it hairlips the queen and blows panties up all over the forum.

I can be excited and still want what I see as the number 1 problem addressed. I don't have anything against Livings and Bernadeau. I don't have anything against Cox or Barron.

Nothing for me has changed. If the team evaluates needs differently than I do there is nothing I can do about it. I am not going to hold my breath, kick my feet and throw daily tantrums about what I did not get.

If you want to, need to, or have to, have at it my man. I'm not trying to stop you that I am aware of. Just don't put words in my mouth.

Is that too much to ask? I mean seriously man, how daft do you have to be to see me preaching Konz and DeCastro like I am being paid by them to get drafted here and not think I want the Cowboys to see it my way and go OL heavy?

So go pitch your little fits about Carr and Barron, and leave me to my hero worship on DeCastro and Konz and let's not try to one up each other here.

I want OL and I know I am probably going to get it in the 3rd rounds and later. I'll tell you what, if we land someone in the 3rd who can be a steal like Erik Williams was I am going to be jacked up. You can lament not paying millions for Grubbs or Nicks.

Until we completely eschew OL in the Draft I don't see the need for all this panic. I like what we did in FA. I must hate America because of that.