The Commanders aren't fit to do much in free agency

Murph80

Reaction score
Can anyone recap this article about the skins cap problems? From what I am hearing they can only cut two players that will give them any cap room at all. All other players if cut would work aganist their cap number. Also they will have to play 15- 20 rookies this year. If this is all true they are done.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Sounds like the same article I read. Said if they reduce ALL their contracts to the vet minimum, they will still be over the cap. LOL.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
meh.....wait for the CBA guys......look at the big picture too....this thing is gonna hurt the whole league if it doesn't go though........

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If you're talking about the Len Pasquerrelli note in his Insider Tip Sheet this week, it basically just reiterates what's in Prisco's article. Lenny spoke to an AFC Front Office person of some note who said he's looked at the Commanders cap situation from every angle, and unless there is a CBA extension it will be next to impossible for the Skins to be under the cap. Even if all the veterans agreed to play for vet minimum, the Commanders would still need to fill out the roster with 15-20 rookies just to barely fit under the cap. So for all those thinking that Dan Snyder would love for nothing more than to end the CBA and go into 2007 uncapped, that's not the case. He's built his entire cap situation around the premises that there would be an CBA extention by now. There probably will be one by the time free agency starts, and he'll keep on with the signing bonus shell game.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Commanders aren't fit to do much in free agency.

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli says a cap insider reports there are only two players on the current Washington roster who will bring the team cap relief if they're cut. Releasing some of the team's big-name players would actually increase the cap number. He even surmises the Commanders might have to play with as many as 15-20 rookies, all earning the minimum salary, to squeeze close to the cap.

Feb. 17 - 5:32 pm et
Source: ESPN Insider

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Arrington and Samuels would be the 2 I guess.

They won't release Samuels unless they are very very ignorant.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
They won't release Samuels unless they are very very ignorant.
Or it does give cap relief. I agree with what you're saying though. He's a cornerstone to build on.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
meh.....wait for the CBA guys......look at the big picture too....this thing is gonna hurt the whole league if it doesn't go though........

You can "meh" all you want, but the bottom line is that the Skins don't have the same financial flexibilty to get to the next level as their NFC East rivals do since they have such a high payroll.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Arrington and Samuels would be the 2 I guess.

Releasing Arrington (+800K) and Samuels (-290k) would cost them an additional 510K against the cap, due to acceleration of signing bonuses.

They can save with the following cuts:

P. Ramsey (-2.19) Million
M. Bowen (-2.00) (bet they wish they knew the outcome of the Taylor trial)
W. Harris (-2.00)
B. Noble (-1.70) (less injury settlement)
J. Hall (-1.18) :eek:
C. Ryback (-1.15)

That would leave them still over the projected cap w/ only 42 players under contract. Ther's another 6 or so players they could cut that would net them another 1/2 million of relief (total). So then they'd have 36, and still likely be over....:D

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Would an adjustment of the salary cap based on a new CBA help them this year?

Murph80

Reaction score
Great job Danny Snyder!!! At least you got a first round wild card loss for all these problems. Great Job.:lmao2:

notherbob

Reaction score
As I said before, The 'Skins have peaked and they're going to lose a few players and not be able to replace them with quality performers. This is going to make it difficult to compete in the resurgent NFC East.

Dallas and Washington are encountering one another with the rebuilding Boys coming up out of where the Skins are heading.

Been there, done that.

Alexander

Reaction score
BIGDen said:
You can "meh" all you want, but the bottom line is that the Skins don't have the same financial flexibilty to get to the next level as their NFC East rivals do since they have such a high payroll.

I will believe the Commanders are in cap hell when they are shown to be in cap hell.

I will not succumb to wishful thinking just yet.

david_jackson

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I will believe the Commanders are in cap hell when they are shown to be in cap hell.

I will not succumb to wishful thinking just yet.

Good position to start....Now what is the criteria, if the Skins release 1 starter (team player) without compenstation, or obviously under compensated. Every year Danny like to be active in free agency. If 10 day go by in the signing period with no significant pick by skins, is that Cap Hell.

To me that would indicate cap hell

Alexander

Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Good position to start....Now what is the criteria, if the Skins release 1 starter (team player) without compenstation, or obviously under compensated. Every year Danny like to be active in free agency. If 10 day go by in the signing period with no significant pick by skins, is that Cap Hell.

To me that would indicate cap hell

Cap hell is them having to release talent that they wouldn't want to and losing young talent they cannot afford to keep.

Until they start cutting players that you know they would logically want to hold onto, they aren't in dire straits yet.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Releasing Arrington (+800K) and Samuels (-290k) would cost them an additional 510K against the cap, due to acceleration of signing bonuses.

They can save with the following cuts:

P. Ramsey (-2.19) Million
M. Bowen (-2.00) (bet they wish they knew the outcome of the Taylor trial)
W. Harris (-2.00)
B. Noble (-1.70) (less injury settlement)
J. Hall (-1.18) :eek:
C. Ryback (-1.15)

That would leave them still over the projected cap w/ only 42 players under contract. Ther's another 6 or so players they could cut that would net them another 1/2 million of relief (total). So then they'd have 36, and still likely be over....:D

so it'd cost the Commanders more to get rid of Arrington? Music to my ears...

anyway, can't the Commanders restructure and save themselves for some time?

i thought the Commanders were gonna be a force for the future, now it seems like they'll be the basement for the future:starspin

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
so it'd cost the Commanders more to get rid of Arrington? Music to my ears...

anyway, can't the Commanders restructure and save themselves for some time?

i thought the Commanders were gonna be a force for the future, now it seems like they'll be the basement for the future:starspin

As much as we hate to admit it, the morale in DC hasn't been this high in over a decade with Gibbs running the show there. I'll grudgingly admit they'll be even better in 06. The Iggles, OTOH, may have a friendly cap situation, but with a morale that's shot to mud.

Otherwise-unless Parcells improves the OL and kicking situation(as well as the FS position to boot), it doesn't matter what division we're in 'cuz we'll be back at square 1.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Or it does give cap relief. I agree with what you're saying though. He's a cornerstone to build on.

Arrington and Samuels would be the two biggest hits if we release them. If there is no new CBA we will have to draw up new contracts for all players, streamline them with the 30% rule and guarantee bonuses., and promise them a new contract in 2007 and beyond (when the league is uncapped).

It won't be pretty if there is no new CBA for us, but I think we still keep the core of our team.