The Commanders aren't fit to do much in free agency

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Uh-Oh said:
Would an adjustment of the salary cap based on a new CBA help them this year?

Yes, it definately would allow us to get under the cap and sign a few FA role players (no big names just solid guys)

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Yes, it definately would allow us to get under the cap and sign a few FA role players (no big names just solid guys)

Don't like the Skins either. However-what is all the point of rooting for the failures of the other teams in our division?

Gibbs' Skins teams in the 80's were better than Parcells' Giants. However-Parcells somehow dominated Gibbs in that period. Why? He outcoached him.

Pt being that unless Parcells and his coaching staff get their acts together in 06, even Mr. Nice Guy's schemes will be effective against us.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Hey RiggoForever. I take it you are a Commanders fan. Can't the Commanders just redo some contracts to get under the cap? If the top 10 paid players redid their contract, I'm sure they could keep the core of their team and still sign a reciever like AB or Randle El.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Hey RiggoForever. I take it you are a Commanders fan. Can't the Commanders just redo some contracts to get under the cap? If the top 10 paid players redid their contract, I'm sure they could keep the core of their team and still sign a reciever like AB or Randle El.

Here's the basic deal in short from everyone I know whos analyzed this. The article written about the Commanders cap hell said nothing about the effects of guaranteeing roster bonuses, which is how we'd save the majority of our money.

1. If there is no CBA, and we guarantee all signing bonuses, prorate over a 4 year period, plus cut/trade these players below, we can barely squeeze under a $95 million cap. You will see basically the same copy of the team you saw this year.

Matt Bowen: $2.0 million
Walt Harris: $2.0 million
Brandon Noble: $1.70 million
Patrick Ramsey: $1.688 million
Corey Raymer: $985,000
John Hall: $860,000

If there are players willing to restructure or take a pay cut, there will be a bit more room but not much more then being able to resign our UFAs and RFAs and draft picks.

2. If the CBA is extended, the bonuses can be prorated over 7 years rather then four, and if the cap figure is greater then $95 million it would also work in our favor, and we may be able to look for some enhancements via free agency.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Don't like the Skins either. However-what is all the point of rooting for the failures of the other teams in our division?

Gibbs' Skins teams in the 80's were better than Parcells' Giants. However-Parcells somehow dominated Gibbs in that period. Why? He outcoached him.

Pt being that unless Parcells and his coaching staff get their acts together in 06, even Mr. Nice Guy's schemes will be effective against us.

I agree that Parcells had a positive record against Gibbs, and the offense of the Giants wasn't as powerful as the Commanders offenses...but the Giants defenses were monstrous, and Parcells ball control offense didn't give us that much time of possession in our games.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
1. If there is no CBA,

Stop your fantasy right there -- the no CBA scenario is totally unlikely -- the league worked for years to build parity. they aren't going to go back to the dark ages where rich owners could spend more than others. they aren't going to punish the teams that have worked hard to keep their caps under control and reward those who have been charging a ton on their cap credit cards.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Stop your fantasy right there -- the no CBA scenario is totally unlikely -- the league worked for years to build parity. they aren't going to go back to the dark ages where rich owners could spend more than others. they aren't going to punish the teams that have worked hard to keep their caps under control and reward those who have been charging a ton on their cap credit cards.

Actually its not what I want. The league is much more exciting now, where an 5-11 team has a realistic shot to go 11-5 the next year.

Before the cap it was all about dynasties and the slow building of teams.

That being said, Snyder has proven that spending sprees do not ensure a winning season in professional football. I think/hope he has learned his lesson. Its because of moves he made early in his ownership that we are in cap purgatory, not quite cap hell, but lets just say I'm glad Portis or Moss isn't a free agent this year.

Murph80

Reaction score
abersonc said:
BINGO:bow: :bow:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
talent can go so much farther than morale

Not necessarily...the Giants had the highest powered offense in the NFC East...with Barber, Toomer, Burress, and Shockey as major threats. They also have 2 All Pro defensive linemen...yet they were pushed around at home in the playoffs. This is a game thats won/lost in the trenches and I think morale and attitude have much to do with who wins and loses those battles on a week to week basis.

Talent isn't always enough to win football games, especially in this day and age when the difference in actual outcome between a 1st and 3rd round pick can be pretty minute.

Look at two of your lifetime Cowboys on the offensive line that won you championships ...Newton (played in USFL before NFL, undrafted) and Tuinei (wasn't even an offensive lineman his first few years in the NFL, but became All Pro, yet was also undrafted). Bill Bates as well (undrafted), not the most talented guy but played hard and was a fierce and tough competitor.

I think alot of improving from college to NFL has to do with heart and desire...many players who were written off have come and become All Pros in the NFL. Desire can take a player to a whole new level.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
hehe, Screw the cap. Take the fines and lost draft picks and roll with it. Pick up more and more free agents and call it a day.

Seriously, I believe they are in a tough spot. But not so tough a spot where they cant make some moves and still be competitive.

We shall see over the next few weeks or months what will happen.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
hehe, Screw the cap. Take the fines and lost draft picks and roll with it. Pick up more and more free agents and call it a day.

Seriously, I believe they are in a tough spot. But not so tough a spot where they cant make some moves and still be competitive.

We shall see over the next few weeks or months what will happen.

All things consider I wish our position was better too, and if there is no new CBA tough decisions will have to be made.

After March 1 we should have a better idea of A. Whether the CBA has been extended B. Who is coming back that was there last year, and who isn't.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Not necessarily...the Giants had the highest powered offense in the NFC East...with Barber, Toomer, Burress, and Shockey as major threats. They also have 2 All Pro defensive linemen...yet they were pushed around at home in the playoffs. This is a game thats won/lost in the trenches and I think morale and attitude have much to do with who wins and loses those battles on a week to week basis.

Talent isn't always enough to win football games, especially in this day and age when the difference in actual outcome between a 1st and 3rd round pick can be pretty minute.

Look at two of your lifetime Cowboys on the offensive line that won you championships ...Newton (played in USFL before NFL, undrafted) and Tuinei (wasn't even an offensive lineman his first few years in the NFL, but became All Pro, yet was also undrafted). Bill Bates as well (undrafted), not the most talented guy but played hard and was a fierce and tough competitor.

I think alot of improving from college to NFL has to do with heart and desire...many players who were written off have come and become All Pros in the NFL. Desire can take a player to a whole new level.

Well said.

menace

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
Great job Danny Snyder!!! At least you got a first round wild card loss for all these problems. Great Job.:lmao2:

LMAO...hahaha! Wait a minute...how far did we make it in the playoffs?:bang2:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
thats7 said:
Well said.

Whomever was your line coach during the Jimmy Johnson days did one hell of a job to say the least.

The line in 1989 was a total joke, then you developed Newton, Stepnoski, Tuinei, added Kevin Gogan and Erik Williams, and it was there.

Wasn't Larry Allen drafted out of a small school as a relative unknown? Someone had one hell of an eye for OL talent and potential for NFL player development thats for sure.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Whomever was your line coach during the Jimmy Johnson days did one hell of a job to say the least.

The line in 1989 was a total joke, then you developed Newton, Stepnoski, Tuinei, added Kevin Gogan and Erik Williams, and it was there.

Wasn't Larry Allen drafted out of a small school as a relative unknown? Someone had one hell of an eye for OL talent and potential for NFL player development thats for sure.

I believe that would be Hudson Houck. Guy was, and is, still a guru. All the guys were young and hungry and had that desire that you talk about. '89 was a bad year for protection and just about anything else a OL is responsible for. I'm not so sure of the fella we have now. Lots of variables this year with injuries/rookies/2nd year guys and such, so my jury is still out on him.