The Cowboys are tied for the 2nd most Super Bowl Championships in the last 29 seasons

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you go back to 1985 the Pats are batting 500 in the Super Bowl at 5-5. They hold the record for the most Super Bowl losses.

Better to go and lose then not go at all. That’s why I don’t get the “Joe Montana is perfect in superbowls” argument. He could only ever make it to 4. He was losing in the first and second round all his other years. Tom made it to 8.

It if you do go back that far, SF and NY leapfrog Dallas in wins, which hurts whatever argument we’re trying to prove with this thread.

plasticman

Reaction score
Tied for last place in the past 25 seasons with zero.

The Cowboys were 1st place in Super Bowl appearences the day Jerry bought the team.

Considering that there are 16 teams in each conference, even if the Cowboys make it this season they will still only be satisfying the law of averages.

coult44

Reaction score
...that the Cowboys are tied for the 2nd most Super Bowl Championships in the last 29 seasons?

5-4 New England Patriots

3-2 Denver Broncos
3-1 New York Giants
3-0 Dallas Cowboys

2-2 Pittsburgh Steelers
2-1 Green Bay Packers
2-1 San Francisco 49ers
2-0 Baltimore Ravens

1-2 Seattle Seahawks
1-1 Indianapolis Colts
1-1 Philadelphia Eagles
1-1 St. Louis Rams
1-0 New Orleans Saints
1-0 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1-0 Washington Commanders

0-4 Buffalo Bills
0-2 Atlanta Falcons
0-2 Carolina Panthers
0-1 Arizona Cardinals
0-1 Chicago Bears
0-1 Oakland Raiders
0-1 San Diego Chargers
0-1 Tennessee Titans

0-0 Cincinnati Bengals
0-0 Cleveland Browns
0-0 Detroit Lions
0-0 Houston Texans
0-0 Jacksonville Jaguars
0-0 Kansas City Chiefs
0-0 Miami Dolphins
0-0 Minnesota Vikings
0-0 New York Jets

I'm not saying the last 22 years have been great. I'm just saying that it could be worse...

What if I told you in the last 23 years nobody has been to less NFC championships than the Dallas Cowboys, Super Bowls also.
What if I told you 20 different QBs have started and failed to make it to a NFC Championship for the Cowboys since 1996.

Here’s the issue with the point you’re trying to make. This is the most storied football franchise in the history of football. The most popular and the most valuable. It’s a pitiful shame that we are having this conversation.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
...that the Cowboys are tied for the 2nd most Super Bowl Championships in the last 29 seasons?

5-4 New England Patriots

3-2 Denver Broncos
3-1 New York Giants
3-0 Dallas Cowboys

2-2 Pittsburgh Steelers
2-1 Green Bay Packers
2-1 San Francisco 49ers
2-0 Baltimore Ravens

1-2 Seattle Seahawks
1-1 Indianapolis Colts
1-1 Philadelphia Eagles
1-1 St. Louis Rams
1-0 New Orleans Saints
1-0 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0-4 Buffalo Bills
0-2 Atlanta Falcons
0-2 Carolina Panthers
0-1 Arizona Cardinals
0-1 Chicago Bears
0-1 Oakland Raiders
0-1 San Diego Chargers
0-1 Tennessee Titans

0-0 Cincinnati Bengals
0-0 Cleveland Browns
0-0 Detroit Lions
0-0 Houston Texans
0-0 Jacksonville Jaguars
0-0 Kansas City Chiefs
0-0 Miami Dolphins
0-0 Minnesota Vikings
0-0 New York Jets

I'm not saying the last 22 years have been great. I'm just saying that it could be worse...
YAWN

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The Cowboys haven't won a divisional playoff game in a *generation*.

It's really quite a trick.

And looking forward, I don't think it is possible to win a SB with this coaching staff. Game/Clock managment is just too bad. Garrett has somehow managed to find coordinators who are as bad at game management as he is.

If we want to look on the bright side, Tony put on a good show for a long time. And we've got a good young team. They should keep the wins coming. We've actually done pretty well for wins, and having a *chance* at the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Better to go and lose then not go at all. That’s why I don’t get the “Joe Montana is perfect in superbowls” argument. He could only ever make it to 4. He was losing in the first and second round all his other years. Tom made it to 8.

It if you do go back that far, SF and NY leapfrog Dallas in wins, which hurts whatever argument we’re trying to prove with this thread.

Personally I would rather not go than to go and lose. The further the Cowboys go in the playoffs the more painful the loss. I started following the team when they won Super Bowl IV. I’ve experienced two of their Super Bowl losses and the only loss they ever had that came close to stinging as much as those two losses was 1981 NFC title loss to SF. The Super Bowl is so hyped up and losing that game is a real killer because it goes into a time capsule and is never forgotten.

Through the years and decades it comes back to haunt you if you lose. I can get over other losses but not a Super Bowl loss they stay with me. I know many feel differently and would rather reach the Super Bowl even if it means losing than to not go at all. The pain of losing a Super Bowl is just too agonizing for me. I can get over playoff losses but not Super Bowl losses. You’re only 35 you’ve never experienced a Cowboys Super Bowl loss.

Radiashun

Reaction score

5-4 New England Patriots

3-2 Denver Broncos
3-1 New York Giants
3-0 Dallas Cowboys

2-2 Pittsburgh Steelers
2-1 Green Bay Packers
2-1 San Francisco 49ers
2-0 Baltimore Ravens

1-2 Seattle Seahawks
1-1 Indianapolis Colts
1-1 Philadelphia Eagles
1-1 St. Louis Rams
1-0 New Orleans Saints
1-0 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

0-4 Buffalo Bills
0-2 Atlanta Falcons
0-2 Carolina Panthers
0-1 Arizona Cardinals
0-1 Chicago Bears
0-1 Oakland Raiders
0-1 San Diego Chargers
0-1 Tennessee Titans

0-0 Cincinnati Bengals
0-0 Cleveland Browns
0-0 Detroit Lions
0-0 Houston Texans
0-0 Jacksonville Jaguars
0-0 Kansas City Chiefs
0-0 Miami Dolphins
0-0 Minnesota Vikings
0-0 New York Jets

Then I would see that your list includes appearances by the Commanders, Bills, and Chargers. Then I would yawn.

Edit: I see 408 beat me to the yawn. I didn't think I was alone.

Last edited:

Radiashun

Reaction score
Personally I would rather not go than to go and lose. The further the Cowboys go in the playoffs the more painful the loss. I started following the team when they won Super Bowl IV. I’ve experienced two of their Super Bowl losses and the only loss they ever had that came close to stinging as much as those two losses was 1981 NFC title loss to SF. The Super Bowl is so hyped up and losing that game is a real killer because it goes into a time capsule and is never forgotten.

Through the years and decades it comes back to haunt you if you lose. I can get over other losses but not a Super Bowl loss they stay with me. I know many feel differently and would rather reach the Super Bowl even if it means losing than to not go at all. The pain of losing a Super Bowl is just too agonizing for me. I can get over playoff losses but not Super Bowl losses. You’re only 35 you’ve never experienced a Cowboys Super Bowl loss.
I get what you're saying, the catch, RFK, and the Deion interference games were as painful as it gets, but I think I'd rather be the 90's Bills than out of the playoffs or one and done for 2 decades.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, the catch, RFK, and the Deion interference games were as painful as it gets, but I think I'd rather be the 90's Bills than out of the playoffs or one and done for 2 decades.
Exactly, KJJ just can't handle the drama. I've been a fan of the Cowboys just as long as him and cherish every second they've been in the playoffs.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

I am 35 and don't even care if we get to another Superbowl right now. I just want to get to a damn championship game and have a chance at the Superbowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I also get what you’re saying but just imagine how painful it must be for those Bills fans who witnessed those 4 straight SB losses. If they could have won just one of those games it would have eased at least some of the pain. Some see those Bills teams as chokers. It’s like climbing a tall mountain, you get one hand on the top and you’re just about there and keep falling off.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
What if I told you...

sounds just like a ESPN 30 for 30 brought to you by Johnny Walker Blue Label

Narrated by Tony Romo.

Save it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I am 35 and don't even care if we get to another Superbowl right now. I just want to get to a damn championship game and have a chance at the Superbowl.

I’ve seen the Cowboys lose several conference championship games and they’re painful but not like a Super Bowl loss. I got spoiled because my very first Cowboys game was watching them win Super Bowl IV. It’s harder handling a Super Bowl loss after you’ve experienced a Super Bowl win. Your standards go way up and just getting to a Super Bowl isn’t good enough.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve seen the Cowboys lose several conference championship games and they’re painful but not like a Super Bowl loss. I got spoiled because my very first Cowboys game was watching them win Super Bowl IV. It’s harder handling a Super Bowl loss after you’ve experienced a Super Bowl win. Your standards go way up and just getting to a Super Bowl isn’t good enough.
Good thing I've had all these years to lower my standards then.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Good thing I've had all these years to lower my standards then.

Many have lowered their standards because it’s been so long since the Cowboys have done anything. I’ve seen the team compete in 7 Super Bowls winning 5 of them. I was fortunate enough to witness one of those Super Bowls in person at the Rose Bowl in 92. My standards will always remain the same, I want to see the team reach the Super Bowl and win it. Just getting there isn’t good enough for me. A Super Bowl loss just adds another bad memory that I don’t want to reflect back to. A Super Bowl loss is a nightmare. You wake up the next morning from it and it hurts even worse. I’m sure a lot of the younger fans see it differently.