The Cowboys go up on Washington, and they creep back

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you tell me
If I thought it made sense to pull starters before the game was completely out of reach I wouldn't have asked that question.

The only possible reason would be if we found the Giants were blowing out Philly and that game was completely out of reach for Philly, but that isn't very likely,

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I thought it made sense to pull starters before the game was completely out of reach I wouldn't have asked that question.

The only possible reason would be if we found the Giants were blowing out Philly and that game was completely out of reach for Philly, but that isn't very likely,
Nobody comes out until the game is out of reach yes ok, i'm just saying I hope it would never come to us having to put them back in because they came back

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would to see a situation where we're able to take our starters out of the game by the 3rd quarter. With that said, we will lose some fire power. In a situation where Washington cuts the score significantly close, what do we do? Would we put our starters back in to ensure that we get the much needed win???? Please give your thoughts
That would be nice. But I can't see it, IMO.

The starters will stay in until the 4th quarter and a 3 or 4 score lead. But it will also depend on how the game is going. If Washington shows any sign of life in the 4th. They will stay in until half way through the 4th.

The starters are not getting pulled in the 3rd, unless they are up like by 35 points or more. Then not all will be pulled at that point. They still need to field a somewhat competitive team until mid 4th.

Jipper

Reaction score
washington wants the number 2 overall pick, thre is no way they are winning this game

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It’s a must win so you do what you must. That being said, other than Dak, Cee Dee and Micah even with a substantial lead I don’t see the other starters coming out.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
washington wants the number 2 overall pick, thre is no way they are winning this game
I really wonder, is this just fan nonsense or is there any NFL coach out there who says to his guys "ok, you sucked the whole season but you tried to win. I relieve you of that second task today".

I never coached in football, but I have never ever told my guys not to give it all, no matter whether it was a meaningless game or not. When you do sports, you do it to win. The only exception for giving the second row a chance is when you've accomplished what you tried to accomplish. But they too try to win and give their best. If this whole draft thing is important enough for teams to deliberatly tank then it's a flaw in the system.

You guys keep complaining about refs rigging the games, complain about that!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That would be nice. But I can't see it, IMO.

The starters will stay in until the 4th quarter and a 3 or 4 score lead. But it will also depend on how the game is going. If Washington shows any sign of life in the 4th. They will stay in until half way through the 4th.

The starters are not getting pulled in the 3rd, unless they are up like by 35 points or more. Then not all will be pulled at that point. They still need to field a somewhat competitive team until mid 4th.
Let's put them out of their misery, get a win and have no injuries!!!!

WTtoolman

Reaction score
My biggest question is who is the crew officiating the game?? We need to be sharp if we are going to win this game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody comes out until the game is out of reach yes ok, i'm just saying I hope it would never come to us having to put them back in because they came back
It has to be treated as a must win game. 4 TD lead in the 4th quarter, sure, pull players. 17 point lead, no way unless it's down to the last couple of minutes in the game.

Jipper

Reaction score
I really wonder, is this just fan nonsense or is there any NFL coach out there who says to his guys "ok, you sucked the whole season but you tried to win. I relieve you of that second task today".

I never coached in football, but I have never ever told my guys not to give it all, no matter whether it was a meaningless game or not. When you do sports, you do it to win. The only exception for giving the second row a chance is when you've accomplished what you tried to accomplish. But they too try to win and give their best. If this whole draft thing is important enough for teams to deliberatly tank then it's a flaw in the system.

You guys keep complaining about refs rigging the games, complain about that!
i get it, and obviously its all speculation....but its a very rare occurrence when a team is as bad as washington is playing a team that is as good as dallas is (which needs a win for something) and they don't lose...granted its primarily bc one is a very bad team and the other is a good team...

However, I personally would find it very strange if the owner for washington didn't pull the coach aside into a convo and discuss the effect a meaningless win would have on their future opportunity to improve the team, and for them to be considerate of that in the way they approach the game.

Its an opinion

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
i get it, and obviously its all speculation....but its a very rare occurrence when a team is as bad as washington is playing a team that is as good as dallas is (which needs a win for something) and they don't lose...granted its primarily bc one is a very bad team and the other is a good team...

However, I personally would find it very strange if the owner for washington didn't pull the coach aside into a convo and discuss the effect a meaningless win would have on their future opportunity to improve the team, and for them to be considerate of that in the way they approach the game.

Its an opinion
My reply wasn't directed at you (you're right, then why quote, duh), it was more some general food for thought. I read these kinds of speculations here pretty often and I wonder if that's an actual thing or if that's just fan fantasies. I didn't intend to be rude, sorry for that. :)

Jipper

Reaction score
My reply wasn't directed at you (you're right, then why quote, duh), it was more some general food for thought. I read these kinds of speculations here pretty often and I wonder if that's an actual thing or if that's just fan fantasies. I didn't intend to be rude, sorry for that. :)
All good and I didn't take it as rude but thanks for the reply my friend

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I’m worried about injury I wouldn’t pull starters until I know for sure they don’t need to return.

I would think the plan would be to start fast, make Washington quit, then rest our guys.

I’m one of the few that thinks Washington is going to try to show up for this one. They even get the first score. We win but don’t pull away until about mid 4Q.
We don;t fair well when on the road and the other teams gets the first score.

Creeper

Reaction score
Resting our starters should not be in any part of the coaches plan or brains right now. The only thing that should matter is winning the game and the division. If the opportunity presents itself where Dallas has a comfortable lead late in the game then they can pull some starters like they would in any other game. But any thought that resting starters is inevitable should not enter anyone's mind.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Dak stays in untill the 4th qtr unless it's a blow out. Most of the other starters can rotate in and out to at least play less minutes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do you come to my post, what brings you here, Do you love me, you must like me right, why are you such a great supporter, do you have a life, I don't think so, could you go somewhere else, no you choose to come here with me, am I going anywhere, NO!
Traditionally we have had an unintentionally funny poster that constantly post weird threads that we all enjoy making fun. Used to be Redball. Now its you and that 1973 guy that said Giants would be out for blood because he got into a fight with Giants fans 20 years go.

What goes on here should not be any point of pride for you. We continue to support you, because its funny to us

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t see any scenario where our starters will be taken out by the 3rd quarter. Way too much on the line to be packing it in with an entire 4th quarter left. A lot of crazy things can happen in a short period of time in the NFL and it’s not like Dan Quinn’s defenses over his career have never given up a big lead. I’m not sure we’re going to be in a comfortable enough position to pull players until maybe late in the 4th quarter. It’s not like SF blew Washington away last week. That was a competitive game for a least a half.