The Cowboys have a Personality Problem

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think much of Wade's problem actually was his personality. But that's so obviously not the same issue as the OP's team personality assertion that I thought it didn't really need to be mentioned. Not even sure what @khiladi was getting at bringing it up, honestly.

Yes and no, every coach has his own personality and there are soft spoken coaches who have won what makes the differance is players buying into it what the Coach is expecting from them. It is not a matter of the public buying it they don't play in the game it is the players and in some cases they did, he took them to a 13-3 record but when the team started to slide in 2010 he was unable to get players turned around and he lost the team. There are coaches who are hardnosed and have lost teams in the same manner

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the OP:

Ah. Still don't get how it relates to Wade.

But I'd disagree, obviously, that Garrett's personality is part of the problem. Just as I disagree with the rest of your assessment that there's really any team personality issue at all.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and no, every coach has his own personality and there are soft spoken coaches who have won what makes the differance is players buying into it what the Coach is expecting from them. It is not a matter of the public buying it they don't play in the game it is the players and in some cases they did, he took them to a 13-3 record but when the team started to slide in 2010 he was unable to get players turned around and he lost the team. There are coaches who are hardnosed and have lost teams in the same manner

Yeah. That's true. But I don't think Wade's issue was that he was soft spoken. I think he wasn't forceful enough and organized enough to stand up to Jerry long term. He was great handling a team with Parcels' inertia, but not a strong enough personality to win his battles after that inevitably wore off, and it eventually lost him the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah. That's true. But I don't think Wade's issue was that he was soft spoken. I think he wasn't forceful enough and organized enough to stand up to Jerry long term. He was great handling a team with Parcels' inertia, but not a strong enough personality to win his battles after that inevitably wore off, and it eventually lost him the team.

I agree with some of it but I don't think it had to do with Jerry. From what I see Jerry gives them what they want. I do agree that when things started to slid that maybe Wade was not forceful enought to get players refocused on the task at hand.
I have yet to hear any HC who has worked for Jerry say he was not given what he asked for.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
forget the interview.....all you have to do is go back to when Golden Tate gave Sean Lee the "business"...and the Cowboys ran back to the sidelines crying about the "rough housing". My goodness...Golden Tate is a WR...and Sean Lee is a LBer....it's not like Larry Allen picking on Clayton Holmes. we WAIT to get hit....as opposed to being the FIRST to hit....and this is just the culture in Dallas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with some of it but I don't think it had to do with Jerry. From what I see Jerry gives them what they want. I do agree that when things started to slid that maybe Wade was not forceful enought to get players refocused on the task at hand.
I have yet to hear any HC who has worked for Jerry say he was not given what he asked for.

Yah, I don't mean to imply that Jerry wasn't supportive of Wade or didn't back what Wade wanted. I just think Jerry's a strong enough personality that he can effectively steamroll you by accident if you're not out in front making the case for what you want. Wade took the approach that the GM could get him the best talent possible, and he'd coach it up. I don't think we had much of a voice in the organization lobbying for a system or for a specific type of player. As a result, it wasn't as clear to the scouts what sorts of players we were looking for, and we saw the effectiveness of the drafts dip during that time as a result.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
forget the interview.....all you have to do is go back to when Golden Tate gave Sean Lee the "business"...and the Cowboys ran back to the sidelines crying about the "rough housing". My goodness...Golden Tate is a WR...and Sean Lee is a LBer....it's not like Larry Allen picking on Clayton Holmes. we WAIT to get hit....as opposed to being the FIRST to hit....and this is just the culture in Dallas.

And whenever Dez shows any kind of emotion it's like "he's a bad teammate; he's a cancer...He's another T.O." I'd just like to see some fight in our team once and a while.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And whenever Dez shows any kind of emotion it's like "he's a bad teammate; he's a cancer...He's another T.O." I'd just like to see some fight in our team once and a while.

Who says that? Announcers during the game, maybe. I don't think many fans feel that way. And I know his teammates don't, because they universally came to his side after the last sideline incident was mis-portrayed by the networks.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Who says that? Announcers during the game, maybe. I don't think many fans feel that way. And I know his teammates don't, because they universally came to his side after the last sideline incident was mis-portrayed by the networks.

Oh I agree about his teammates defending him. I liked that. But I did hear some fans complain and those talking heads were all on him. It was disgusting.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It seems so clear to me, clearer than everclear.

Who cares what Cowboys say or don't.
what matters is what go on on the field when the whistle blow.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I agree about his teammates defending him. I liked that. But I did hear some fans complain and those talking heads were all on him. It was disgusting.

I agree. Dez is the man, both on the field and as a teammate. Where he should be getting praise for his attitude, people like to try to tear him down. He's a good guy, and deserves a huge extension. The only concerns I have about him are for his back.

Zordon

Reaction score
Ah. Still don't get how it relates to Wade.

But I'd disagree, obviously, that Garrett's personality is part of the problem. Just as I disagree with the rest of your assessment that there's really any team personality issue at all.
That's it. You've earned a spot in my sig.

Zordon

Reaction score

You get it. This game isn't only about xs and o's. Its also about intangibles. It's why teams spend a ton of time interviewing prospects at the combine. Idk where this country club robotic culture came from originally but it sucks and I hate to see players with chips on their shoulder get sucked into it. The cowboys need the face lift that the Texas Longhorns are going thru right now.

Frozen700

Reaction score
This is the problem during games(Maybe not to much with Demarco he gets fired up and upset when we screw up), but guys are to content, we lose or are losing everybody not Named Dez is just sitting there nonchalant

After games Witten-"We just have to get better, execute better, get in and work harder, blah blah".......Romo-"We need to take this time out to look at what we are doing wrong, execute better, there are still games left, we have to close it out" ect ect

It get's old

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is the problem during games(Maybe not to much with Demarco he gets fired up and upset when we screw up), but guys are to content, we lose or are losing everybody not Named Dez is just sitting there nonchalant

After games Witten-"We just have to get better, execute better, get in and work harder, blah blah".......Romo-"We need to take this time out to look at what we are doing wrong, execute better, there are still games left, we have to close it out" ect ect

It get's old

It's like the movie Groundhog's Day.