The Cowboys Just Lost the Best Defensive Player in the NFL

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Khalil Mack doesn't make the opponent's points per game jump nearly 10 rankings. Neither does Aaron Donald, both have played on D's that lost them Football games because the offense wasn't there. Zeke has only ever played on stellar D's, and that's no accident. He is the single most valuable defensive force in the national football league. Tony Pollard could run for 120 yards against NYG, but they're likely going to have an advantage in the time of possession because of Saquon. Now with those extra drives maybe Eli throws picks and you're good. But maybe he doesn't. You won't be missing Zeke on offense nearly as much as you'll be missing him on defense.

What the? Did I jus take a huge amount of shrooms without knowing?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Why are you so "concerned" with Zeke's inevitable signing ? You should be soiling yourself that you've got a 40 year old journeyman backing up your brittle starting QB.......................................................Each season is its own animal ; the real games haven't even started yet and you're already drooling nonsensical codswallop.................................................The Cowboys have an improved D-Line and their LB duo which is the best in the NFL are going to be even better , while their wide receiver corps has also vastly improved ; more/better weapons ='s more points .

'Concerned'? I do not yearn for truth, i seek fact. Big difference.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not anywhere close to the same as “losing him”

Semantics. The biggest difference between the 2017 dallas cowboys and the 2018 dallas cowboys is the (albeit temporary) lack of Ezekiel Elliot. He is a loss until he's not.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Semantics. The biggest difference between the 2017 dallas cowboys and the 2018 dallas cowboys is the (albeit temporary) lack of Ezekiel Elliot. He is a loss until he's not.

Not semantics.

Foolish thread title.

He hasn’t missed a game yet. When he does. Then you could consider him lost.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
You missed the point, that's why you're confused. 2017 was your best defense as per ypp, the purest stat where you can remove most (not all) altering forces. But they didnt have the best full game stats because they were missing Zeke. Some of the best defenses in NFL history played on teams that won less than 10 games. That's not on the defense.

Nah. You’re just confused. Nothing you originally posted supports the theory you’re putting forth. Your logic is embarrassing. You just can’t recognize it.

Proof

Reaction score
So 2017 was way better than 2917 huh? You don’t say

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
What if I told you I could make a case for 2017 being the best defense you've had over the last 4 years? Way better than 2017. Noticeably improved from 2018. Not even 2016 holds a candle to them. You'd say that's kind of ridiculous right? Check this out:

Opponent's Points Per Game

2018: 6th
2017: 13th
2016: 5th
2015: 16th

2017 Doesn't look too great here. Keeping them out of the endzone is the number 1 goal, right? How could anyone come to the conclusion the D was doing their job better than the division round years? Let's go deeper...

Opponent's Yards Per Game

2018: 7th
2017: 8th
2016: 14th
2015: 17th

Wait... what? Everything else lines up, except suddenly 2017 got way better. So you shut teams down from running up and down the field, but allowed them to score at will when they got a chance? Hmm... need 1 more stat to make this a bit clearer...

Opponent's Yards Per Play

2018: 5.4 (13th)
2017: 5.1 (8th)
2016: 5.5 (16th)
2015: 5.6 (19th)

Hold the phone! 0.3 yards per play that 2017 has over 2018 is MORE than the 0.2 that 2018 has over your abysmal 2015. That's a huge discrepancy. For context, that 0.3 ypp 2017 has over 2018 is exactly what they are apart from the single best D in the league that year (would jump from 8 to 1).

So how is it possible a team can give up the 8th fewest yards per play, but still end up 13th in yards per game? Conversely, how is it a team in 2016 can give up the 16th most yards per game but only allowed the 5th most points? That's nuts! What is the connecting tissue here? What happened in 2017 that didn't happen in 2016 or 2018? One more stat...

Average Drive on Offense

2018: Time 2:59 (2nd) Plays 6.27 (2nd)
2017: Time 2:50 (5th) Plays 6:09 (5th)
2016: Time 2:57 (2nd) Plays 6.04 (5th)
2015: Time 2.54 (2nd) Plays 5.82 (12th)

If you haven't put it together by now, 2017 is the year Zeke missed games. Your Time of possession is better with Zeke in, your plays per drive is better, your points allowed is much better regardless of how your defense is playing. Giving up 5.1 ypp in 2017? doesn't matter, if Zeke isn't in the opponent will get enough drives to put up points. Giving up 5.5 ypp in 2016? Doesn't matter, with Zeke setting Cowboy rookie records, your scoring defense was the best you've had in decades.

Khalil Mack doesn't make the opponent's points per game jump nearly 10 rankings. Neither does Aaron Donald, both have played on D's that lost them Football games because the offense wasn't there. Zeke has only ever played on stellar D's, and that's no accident. He is the single most valuable defensive force in the national football league. Tony Pollard could run for 120 yards against NYG, but they're likely going to have an advantage in the time of possession because of Saquon. Now with those extra drives maybe Eli throws picks and you're good. But maybe he doesn't. You won't be missing Zeke on offense nearly as much as you'll be missing him on defense.

So we lost him???

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Nah. You’re just confused. Nothing you originally posted supports the theory you’re putting forth. Your logic is embarrassing. You just can’t recognize it.

Technically I cant be confused because its my point. It could be a confusing point, but I understand the confusion perfectly.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Is he a Dallas Cowboy or have you lost him? He's not in limbo, he's not signed. You may gain him sooner or later, but right now he's a void on your team, that's indisputable. What I said is accurate.

You don't need to resort to namecalling to make a proper argument, unless you're losing it.

You're right. We lost him.

And no you are actually now sounding even more ridiculous. Hes under contract for 2 more years lol. He is a Dallas Cowboy. He isnt unsigned. And read above. On his way home. Not lost at all. You are just starting problems now. What you said is far from accurate. Unless in Philly accurate means completely wrong.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’ll give you some credit @Aerolithe_Lion. There’s stretches where you fight the urge to needle people and engage in a bit of trolling.

But every once in a while you break down and have a go at it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Hey guys. We lost him. Hes on his way back to Dallas but we lost him. Talks have "fallen apart" according to no one but this guy. Is there anyway we can get him banned? lol

MCMetal69

Reaction score
'Concerned'? I do not yearn for truth, i seek fact. Big difference.

Here's "the truth"........................In 2017 Vander Esch wasn't even on the roster and Jaylon Smith was spending his year to recuperate ; Orlando Scandrick was a starting corner and Byron Jones was playing out of position at safety . The defense has improved exponentially , talent-wise...................

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

You're right. We lost him.

And no you are actually now sounding even more ridiculous. Hes under contract for 2 more years lol. He is a Dallas Cowboy. He isnt unsigned. And read above. On his way home. Not lost at all. You are just starting problems now. What you said is far from accurate. Unless in Philly accurate means completely wrong.

He will not play under his current contract. To play for the Dallas Cowboys, he needs a new one. So he is unsigned as far as relevancy to the situation. Does he have a contract right now? Sure. Do you genuinely expect him to play against the Giants under his rookie deal? No? Then it doesn't matter.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Some of you guys are talking like ball control and time of possession are new concepts. That was Parcells chosen M.O. his whole career. Keep your defense off the field and their stats will look better. Is not rocket science.

Run the ball. Stop the run. Has been championship football for years.