The Cowboys Marketing Machine

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let us give credit where credit is due. Jerruh and Stevo, may not know a lick about football but they do know marketing, hype and accreting corporate value.

Have you noticed, as have I, who has a Google search and identify recent stories in periodicals, blogs, youtubes that mention our beloved Dallas Cowboys, the self-proclaimed, "America's Team" that has not won a significant play off game since 1995-96. That is a very long time. In that period, J & S have provide to us, the fans, a middle of the road, lackluster, and one can even say mediocre product.

However, due to fine marketing and promotion, the Dallas Cowboys have not suffered any corporate deficit. The organization makes a lot of money and this year the franchise Jerruh bought for about $150 million is now worth $5 billion!!! That is a nice return on the invested dollar, wouldn't you say.

Now that we are in the lull between the draft and training camp, my inbox is flooded with articles about how great our draft choices are, how our second year players are going to make a big jump in performance, rumors about possible trades, etc. None of that is news. Those in the news business know that if there is no news, you run features. These are all features. Puff pieces intended to keep our attention and promise that the results of the last 25 years are in the rear view mirror and that all is well in Cowboys nation. Our return to prominence as a first grade franchise is on the horizon. Hang in there, pay the increased ticket costs, buy the merchandise at increased prices, buy tours of Jerruh World, buy beers at the stadium for $12, etc., etc, etc.

I bought into this for many, many years. But now they are over. I am now from Missouri. Show me, is my new mantra. I am not buying any tickets, beers, caps, jerseys or anything with a Cowboys logo. Nope, Jerruh, you ain't getting any of my hard earned Benjamins, until your mediocre product improves.

Oh yes, I will watch and root and read newspaper stories during the season, but that is all you get, Jerruh.
You are not getting any of my money directly from me. I am sorry to say that there is plenty of my money going to Jerruh from my purchases of advertised product on their games and even from just watching the NFL. I consider that a small price to pay to watch my favorite sport on TV.

My good friends, what are you doing to send Jerruh the message that crappy records do not cut it with us?
You are thanking the wrong member of the Jones family. Charlette, Jerry's daughter is the one in charge of the Dallas Cowboys marketing department. Her fingerprints are all over it and she does an amazing job. Give her the credit she is due!

Pokes12

Reaction score
hard core fans, watch and suffer....we can't help ourselves.....some fans likes us are frustrated. but this marketing machine is attacking the fringe fans.those who want the merchandise and game day experience and go oh well. they don't know the history, nor care. the hardcore fans will always stay no matter what. we yell. we complain. but we watch....perhaps some of us stop buying the merchandise, but those fringe fans buy, watch and prove the marketing machine is working. you and I are not the target of the marketing machine.
Well said. Have been a card carrying Cowboys fan when Inlived in Philly and now in New England. Bought the merchandise and followed the team and went to games. I saw all three Super Bowls in the 90s. But since the win against Pittsburgh in Tempe, the Pokes have been a hot mess. Some years they titillated us with what we thought was a good product and then the playoffs would erase that notion in a nano second. All I am saying is let’s not enrich the Jones boys further for providing a mediocre product foe a quarter of a century. I will still root for the boys, just ain’t giving Jerruh my hard earned.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well said. Have been a card carrying Cowboys fan when Inlived in Philly and now in New England. Bought the merchandise and followed the team and went to games. I saw all three Super Bowls in the 90s. But since the win against Pittsburgh in Tempe, the Pokes have been a hot mess. Some years they titillated us with what we thought was a good product and then the playoffs would erase that notion in a nano second. All I am saying is let’s not enrich the Jones boys further for providing a mediocre product foe a quarter of a century. I will still root for the boys, just ain’t giving Jerruh my hard earned.
Oh I am with you. I am not buying anything cowboys and haven't in 15 years. I am 4 hours away but refuse to go to the games. He is not getting my money.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let us give credit where credit is due. Jerruh and Stevo, may not know a lick about football but they do know marketing, hype and accreting corporate value.

I stopped reading after this.
They both know way more football than 98% of the posters on here.
Matter of fact, probably more than 98%. Maybe less than 5 total on here could actually sit and compare talking football with them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am inspired, I think I will go out and buy me a new coffee mug and hat.
The Stadium is a short 6 1/2 mile drive straight down the road. I have not been there for quite awhile.

Jerry here I come, credit card in hand, as I don't carry much cash on me......see ya soon....
And it is my money, so no need to get your panties in a wad over Jerry getting it.
:lmao::lmao2::laugh::lmao::thumbup::flagwave:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fix is in. There’s nothing we can do to stop it. The Cowboys are pure entertainment sports . Winning hasn’t been the top priority for decades. We only want to win Jethro’s way.
fR9Hb2J.jpg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fix is in. There’s nothing we can do to stop it. The Cowboys are pure entertainment sports . Winning hasn’t been the top priority for decades. We only want to win Jethro’s way.
fR9Hb2J.jpg

Is the crowd in the mirror reflection beating up Rowdy? Hope so...can't tell for sure...

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Have you noticed, as have I, who has a Google search and identify recent stories in periodicals, blogs, youtubes that mention our beloved Dallas Cowboys, the self-proclaimed, "America's Team" that has not won a significant play off game since 1995-96. That is a very long time. In that period, J & S have provide to us, the fans, a middle of the road, lackluster, and one can even say mediocre product.

However, due to fine marketing and promotion, the Dallas Cowboys have not suffered any corporate deficit. The organization makes a lot of money and this year the franchise Jerruh bought for about $150 million is now worth $5 billion!!! That is a nice return on the invested dollar, wouldn't you say.

Now that we are in the lull between the draft and training camp, my inbox is flooded with articles about how great our draft choices are, how our second year players are going to make a big jump in performance, rumors about possible trades, etc. None of that is news. Those in the news business know that if there is no news, you run features. These are all features. Puff pieces intended to keep our attention and promise that the results of the last 25 years are in the rear view mirror and that all is well in Cowboys nation. Our return to prominence as a first grade franchise is on the horizon. Hang in there, pay the increased ticket costs, buy the merchandise at increased prices, buy tours of Jerruh World, buy beers at the stadium for $12, etc., etc, etc.

I bought into this for many, many years. But now they are over. I am now from Missouri. Show me, is my new mantra. I am not buying any tickets, beers, caps, jerseys or anything with a Cowboys logo. Nope, Jerruh, you ain't getting any of my hard earned Benjamins, until your mediocre product improves.

Oh yes, I will watch and root and read newspaper stories during the season, but that is all you get, Jerruh.
You are not getting any of my money directly from me. I am sorry to say that there is plenty of my money going to Jerruh from my purchases of advertised product on their games and even from just watching the NFL. I consider that a small price to pay to watch my favorite sport on TV.

My good friends, what are you doing to send Jerruh the message that crappy records do not cut it with us?

Thanks for the great post.

I think a lot of us have the same feeling, but to put it in words is another thing. You could have gone more into detail but it is good you didnt. iT Would have made your post too long and way too hard to read thru.

I myself dont buy stuff of the Cowboys and i dont pay for the televised games. So in short: i dont spend money so the Joneses dont profit from me.

But this i dont do only with the Cowboys. I try to do this with most of the things where no authenticy is behind it. My money is valuable to me. If you want it, you have to give something in return. To be an asocial shark in the ocean of commerce is not what i am going to support. There are enough other people who have the same product AND actually care about us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m a local fan and walked away from 4 decades of season tickets. And collectively had tens of thousand of other season ticket holders walk together .

TV viewership is down locally . But fans around the country tune in to root against us driving viewership. Jethro is the most hated sports personality in DFW area. But as more fans from across the nation migrate into Dallas area and Texas they bring their fandom of their fav team with them buying the brokered tickets filling the stadium. It’s a Runaway revenue train.

And all of the revolutionary revenue streams Jethro implemented has not only benefitted he Cowboys but all of the NFL. We had our opportunity to run him out of town before he built new stadium and when I walked . It’s too late now . The stadium sponsors are locked in. The season ticket holders are locked in with only option to broker out seats. It’s a highway to hell for Cowboy fans . Our only hope resides when he’s 6 feet under.

Before all of these new revenue streams fixed the revenue success on the field was needed. This could happen now to any franchise who’s owner insist on living out their celebrity style football guy fantasies.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Since I couldn't find how to post a "Master of the Obvious" meme, I'm asking "uhm, ok?“

Sorry, but you could have written 2+2=4 or something and would have saved a lot of time. ;)

in fact most great Novells are written about things everybody already knows or feels inside.
To put those things together into the right words is what it is about.

Of course there are always people that wont (or cant) understand this. Some of them have the tendency to have to cricitize first before they gather knowledge or think about things. When you then watch those latter people they often arent able themselfs to produce something valuable for society. Maybe out of that frustration they need to critizes. Who knows. And actually who cares about them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks for the great post.

I think a lot of us have the same feeling, but to put it in words is another thing. You could have gone more into detail but it is good you didnt. iT Would have made your post too long and way too hard to read thru.

I myself dont buy stuff of the Cowboys and i dont pay for the televised games. So in short: i dont spend money so the Joneses dont profit from me.

But this i dont do only with the Cowboys. I try to do this with most of the things where no authenticy is behind it. My money is valuable to me. If you want it, you have to give something in return. To be an asocial shark in the ocean of commerce is not what i am going to support. There are enough other people who have the same product AND actually care about us.
All of those incidental merchandise , etc is of little consequences . The driving force is TV revenue , ticket sales and stadium sponsorship. Which most fans have little control over .

Even if you watch other NFL games it’s a contribution to the Cowboys with NFL Equal TV Revenue.

As much as I’ve campaigned against Jethro over the years I’m not willing to abort the NFL all together.

We’re stuck in a perpetual frustratingly situational vicious circle of hate for our owner and love for our franchise .

Reaction score
The Jones' boys are far better at marketing and promoting their brand than they are actually winning playoff games

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Jones' boys are far better at marketing and promoting their brand than they are actually winning playoff games
And that’s really all that matters when you are insistent on running football operations yourself .

It’s like any Iconic label or entity. The hype and popularity is always more important than the product. It’s the American way. The Jone$ have optimized the Cowboys iconic brand . And we’ve all contributed in some way.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
All of those incidental merchandise , etc is of little consequences . The driving force is TV revenue , ticket sales and stadium sponsorship. Which most fans have little control over .

Even if you watch other NFL games it’s a contribution to the Cowboys with NFL Equal TV Revenue.

As much as I’ve campaigned against Jethro over the years I’m not willing to abort the NFL all together.

We’re stuck in a perpetual frustratingly situational vicious circle of hate for our owner and love for our franchise .

I think fans have control over thoses things. Dont attend games, dont pay for the broadcasts.

For instance i dont pay to watch the games. But i watch them. There are enough ways to watch the games without paying for it.

Not everybody has to do it my way. I understand. Sometime the circumstances dont allow you to follow a 100% perfect path. But if even 30% of the people would stop paying to watch games or dont attend games the NFL would feel this.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
And that’s really all that matters when you are insistent on running football operations yourself .

It’s like any Iconic label or entity. The hype and popularity is always more important than the product. It’s the American way. The Jone$ have optimized the Cowboys iconic brand . And we’ve all contributed in some way.

No it isnt. Its just another thing the Joneses branded into your brain.
And its not the Americans way. of course not. Its the way of commerce.

But if you think America is all about commerce and fake i for sure will say you are right. But shouldnt people have more values than buying stuff and believing in lies ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think fans have control over thoses things. Dont attend games, dont pay for the broadcasts.

For instance i dont pay to watch the games. But i watch them. There are enough ways to watch the games without paying for it.

Not everybody has to do it my way. I understand. Sometime the circumstances dont allow you to follow a 100% perfect path. But if even 30% of the people would stop paying to watch games or dont attend games the NFL would feel this.
Most Cowboy games aren’t attend by fans like us . They are there for the sheer entertainment value.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No it isnt. Its just another thing the Joneses branded into your brain.
And its not the Americans way. of course not. Its the way of commerce.

But if you think America is all about commerce and fake i for sure will say you are right. But shouldnt people have more values than buying stuff and believing in lies ?
Hype and promotion aren’t necessarily lies. Perception is a virtual reality.

If you believe something to be true and present as such , that’s not a lie.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Most Cowboy games aren’t attend by fans like us . They are there for the sheer entertainment value.

Well we could argue about that if it is really true. From a lot of people here i read that they are attending games or pay to watch games. And i would consider them also fans "like us".

But i will admit that the NFL is set up for the casual market. And the casual viewer is not thinking about those things. He is just about being entertained.

And i am aware of that. And because of the trap i am in (not being able to do anything about the Joneses) is exactly the reason why i am (sometimes) angry.

Well in the end what can someone do ? Just live your life the way you think it is ok and hope that it will change the world just a little bit for the better. And maybe some others that listen to you will start to think the same way you do.