The Cowboys Marketing Machine

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hype and promotion aren’t necessarily lies. Perception is a virtual reality.

If you believe something to be true and present as such , that’s not a lie.

A "virtual reality". Thats a good one.

The way you are arguing is a good way to brain**** others. I guess you watched too many Nolan movies ;-).

Joking aside. A lie is a lie. And it doesnt make it a truth just because it is sold with the dream it could be true (at some time in the future). Playing with peoples dreams to me has to be condemned. And when you are doing this by being aware of all of this and on purpose just to have monetary success ? Well... Thats the worst a human can do and be.

If you think something is real doesnt make it real. Perception has nothing to do with reality. Its one result of how you interpret things. But interpretation also has nothing to do with reality. Being able to reflect about this and see the "real" reality is the reason why humans have a brain. And so are not condemned to soley depend on their emotions.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A "virtual reality". Thats a good one.

The way you are arguing is a good way to brain**** others. I guess you watched too many Nolan movies ;-).

Joking aside. A lie is a lie. And it doesnt make it a truth just because it is sold with the dream it could be true (at some time in the future). Playing with peoples dreams to me has to be condemned. And when you are doing this by being aware of all of this and on purpose just to have monetary success ? Well... Thats the worst a human can do and be.

If you think something is real doesnt make it real. Perception has nothing to do with reality. It only about how you interpret things. But interpretation also has nothing to do with reality. Being able to reflect about this and see the real reality is the reason why humans have a brain.
Nolan movie??? Not familiar ..

Im not arguing on Jethro’s behalf. I’m just saying that advertising, promotion and hype is based on belief and perception.

Much like if you believe your wife is the most beautiful women in your eyes, that’s not a lie even if we all know it’s not true.

As far as Jethro, I’m not absolutely certain he doesn’t believe his team is a SB contender or his ways is what’s best for the Cowboys , while we all know it isn’t true.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let us give credit where credit is due. Jerruh and Stevo, may not know a lick about football but they do know marketing, hype and accreting corporate value.

Have you noticed, as have I, who has a Google search and identify recent stories in periodicals, blogs, youtubes that mention our beloved Dallas Cowboys, the self-proclaimed, "America's Team" that has not won a significant play off game since 1995-96. That is a very long time. In that period, J & S have provide to us, the fans, a middle of the road, lackluster, and one can even say mediocre product.

However, due to fine marketing and promotion, the Dallas Cowboys have not suffered any corporate deficit. The organization makes a lot of money and this year the franchise Jerruh bought for about $150 million is now worth $5 billion!!! That is a nice return on the invested dollar, wouldn't you say.

Now that we are in the lull between the draft and training camp, my inbox is flooded with articles about how great our draft choices are, how our second year players are going to make a big jump in performance, rumors about possible trades, etc. None of that is news. Those in the news business know that if there is no news, you run features. These are all features. Puff pieces intended to keep our attention and promise that the results of the last 25 years are in the rear view mirror and that all is well in Cowboys nation. Our return to prominence as a first grade franchise is on the horizon. Hang in there, pay the increased ticket costs, buy the merchandise at increased prices, buy tours of Jerruh World, buy beers at the stadium for $12, etc., etc, etc.

I bought into this for many, many years. But now they are over. I am now from Missouri. Show me, is my new mantra. I am not buying any tickets, beers, caps, jerseys or anything with a Cowboys logo. Nope, Jerruh, you ain't getting any of my hard earned Benjamins, until your mediocre product improves.

Oh yes, I will watch and root and read newspaper stories during the season, but that is all you get, Jerruh.
You are not getting any of my money directly from me. I am sorry to say that there is plenty of my money going to Jerruh from my purchases of advertised product on their games and even from just watching the NFL. I consider that a small price to pay to watch my favorite sport on TV.

My good friends, what are you doing to send Jerruh the message that crappy records do not cut it with us?

These 2 Great football men deserved a better fate than the hillbillies from Arkansas!!

70861e47aaeec6375d6348bce367f4e5.jpg

DonaldM

Reaction score

Im not arguing on Jethro’s behalf. I’m just saying that advertising, promotion and hype is based on belief and perception.

Much like if you believe your wife is the most beautiful women in your eyes, that’s not a lie even if we all know it’s not true.

As far as Jethro, I’m not absolutely certain he doesn’t believe his team is a SB contender or his ways is what’s best for the Cowboys , while we all know it isn’t true.
Why were the Cowboys losing money allowing Jethro to buy? Obviously the brand was already established way before Jethro.... Sure Greg can help me with this...

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Christopher Nolan.

He made some movies like Inception or TENET that play with the viewers brain. TENET wasnt good but you should give Inception a try if you havent seen it already.

And i did not understand you like you were. And imo you are right about advertising and promotion.

Yes thats true. And maybe i missunderstood you.

Of course if i am feeling something and tell to someone about how i feel it is the truth. But it has nothing to do with "objective" reality. Still i am telling the truth - but again - only about my feelings.

I am not quite sure about that. I just cant accept that a guy who is able to make that kind of money is not able to reflect about the last 25 years of failure.
Maybe you are right and he isnt able. Maybe it has nothing to do with intelligence and is more about pride or stubborness that he is not able to see his defencies.

But then there are others involved. Chuckles, his wife, the Coaches etc... It cant be they are all like him. And he doesnt get any kind of feedback from them.

In the end i think he is quite aware of his defencies but he does not care. And so does his son and all of his family members that are involved in this business.

All Jones cares about is earning money and he does his best to do it. If he needs to lie and betray others about his goals its ok with him.

Those persons are people you actually dont want to be surrounded with.

conner01

Reaction score
Looking simply at the business side of football Jerry is the best in the league
That’s why they make nearly twice what the next closest team makes
On the football side of being an owner he started out with great success but has failed the better part of most posters here’s life

DFWJC

Reaction score
Let us give credit where credit is due. Jerruh and Stevo, may not know a lick about football but they do know marketing, hype and accreting corporate value.

Have you noticed, as have I, who has a Google search and identify recent stories in periodicals, blogs, youtubes that mention our beloved Dallas Cowboys, the self-proclaimed, "America's Team" that has not won a significant play off game since 1995-96. That is a very long time. In that period, J & S have provide to us, the fans, a middle of the road, lackluster, and one can even say mediocre product.

However, due to fine marketing and promotion, the Dallas Cowboys have not suffered any corporate deficit. The organization makes a lot of money and this year the franchise Jerruh bought for about $150 million is now worth $5 billion!!! That is a nice return on the invested dollar, wouldn't you say.

Now that we are in the lull between the draft and training camp, my inbox is flooded with articles about how great our draft choices are, how our second year players are going to make a big jump in performance, rumors about possible trades, etc. None of that is news. Those in the news business know that if there is no news, you run features. These are all features. Puff pieces intended to keep our attention and promise that the results of the last 25 years are in the rear view mirror and that all is well in Cowboys nation. Our return to prominence as a first grade franchise is on the horizon. Hang in there, pay the increased ticket costs, buy the merchandise at increased prices, buy tours of Jerruh World, buy beers at the stadium for $12, etc., etc, etc.

I bought into this for many, many years. But now they are over. I am now from Missouri. Show me, is my new mantra. I am not buying any tickets, beers, caps, jerseys or anything with a Cowboys logo. Nope, Jerruh, you ain't getting any of my hard earned Benjamins, until your mediocre product improves.

Oh yes, I will watch and root and read newspaper stories during the season, but that is all you get, Jerruh.
You are not getting any of my money directly from me. I am sorry to say that there is plenty of my money going to Jerruh from my purchases of advertised product on their games and even from just watching the NFL. I consider that a small price to pay to watch my favorite sport on TV.

My good friends, what are you doing to send Jerruh the message that crappy records do not cut it with us?
Jerry got into the Hall of Fame for what he did for the league as a whole.

But yes, it all helped the franchise he owns immensely.

Btw, I hope you don't really think Jerry and Stephen don't know a lick about football.
They both were college players with Jerry being a captain on a national championship team.
And then they spent most of the rest of their lives surrounded by football minds....great, good and not so good.

So I assume that was tongue-n-cheek.

And since when is 12-5 a "crappy record"
We all want more, but crappy does not describe it

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why were the Cowboys losing money allowing Jethro to buy? Obviously the brand was already established way before Jethro.... Sure Greg can help me with this...
The Cowboys were only losing about a million a month which was really just more of a cash flow issue. Bum Bright bought the Cowboys in 1984 from original owner Clint Murchison Jr for 85 million and sold it to Jethro in 1989 for 160 million. So while it currently had a cash flow issue it was still increasing in value obviously .

The current downturn in cash flow was attributed to the down economy and ticket sales which had suffered during 3 year losing stretch from
1986-1988.

Back in those days teams didn’t generate the kind of yearly profits they do now. It wasn’t uncommon for NFL teams to have negative cash flows while the franchises worth continued increasing.

Praxit

Reaction score
..have you tasted those hot dogs at Jerryworld? Dang...delicious. They go great with Dak & Zeke condiment sauce.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Christopher Nolan.

He made some movies like Inception or TENET that play with the viewers brain. TENET wasnt good but you should give Inception a try if you havent seen it already.

And i did not understand you like you were. And imo you are right about advertising and promotion.

Yes thats true. And maybe i missunderstood you.

Of course if i am feeling something and tell to someone about how i feel it is the truth. But it has nothing to do with "objective" reality. Still i am telling the truth - but again - only about my feelings.

I am not quite sure about that. I just cant accept that a guy who is able to make that kind of money is not able to reflect about the last 25 years of failure.
Maybe you are right and he isnt able. Maybe it has nothing to do with intelligence and is more about pride or stubborness that he is not able to see his defencies.

But then there are others involved. Chuckles, his wife, the Coaches etc... It cant be they are all like him. And he doesnt get any kind of feedback from them.

In the end i think he is quite aware of his defencies but he does not care. And so does his son and all of his family members that are involved in this business.

All Jones cares about is earning money and he does his best to do it. If he needs to lie and betray others about his goals its ok with him.

Those persons are people you actually dont want to be surrounded with.
I saw Inception. Weird movie . Looks like you have a better sense overall now of what I was saying. Appreciate.

Jethro’s record revenue enables him to continue his egotistical passion without any financial fallouts . I honestly believe he wants to win badly, but only his way. He wouldn’t be interested in owning a team if he couldn’t be the face of the franchise living out his celebrity football guy status . That was blatantly obvious after back to back championships parting ways with Jimmy winning wasn’t enough unless he was able to pursue his football status and remain the face of the franchise .

He’s at a point now where the money isn’t as big a factor as winning. The revenue streams were brilliantly put in place so he wouldn’t be effected financially while struggling with success on the field. Now he can continue his football ways which has always been his ambition since was at Arkansas without being held directly accountable like a HC or front office personnel.

Remember back in the 60’s when he tried to buy the Chargers , he backed out cause after his father bailed on him financially and didn’t want to take on partners who might hold him directly accountable for the product on he field .

Pokes12

Reaction score
I am inspired, I think I will go out and buy me a new coffee mug and hat.
The Stadium is a short 6 1/2 mile drive straight down the road. I have not been there for quite awhile.

Jerry here I come, credit card in hand, as I don't carry much cash on me......see ya soon....
And it is my money, so no need to get your panties in a wad over Jerry getting it.
:lmao::lmao2::laugh::lmao::thumbup::flagwave:
Thank you, Mrs. Jones. I am happy you are well.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Usually they’re able to get people fired up about the season no matter what’s happened in the offseason but doesn’t appear they’ve been trying to pump as much sunshine this spring.

ultimately when you lose 3 pro bowl type players all of your own choosing and do nothing except hope draft picks can replace them there’s not many speeches or hope you can give to fill that void.