The Cowboys need a Free Agent DE next season

ccb04

Reaction score
I'm largely in favor of building through the draft...and wouldn't overpay any free agent. That said.....

JPP is intriguing in terms of his size/athleticism, age, and versatility. Think he could be a real solid LDE in particular. Injury issues would be a concern.

Like Jabaal Sheard also. Playing 4-3 DE in his rookie and second season, he averaged 55 tackles & 7.5 sacks per year. In 2013, he had 5.5 sacks despite transitioning to 3-4 OLB...missing 3 games...and rotating with 1st round pick Barkevious Mingo. 2014 has been disappointing for him...but that could be somewhat of a good thing in terms of negotiations. He's certainly seemingly a better fit as a 4-3 DE, and was indeed consistent in terms of production at that position.

Jerry Hughes is interesting. But as others have mentioned, there should be some concern if his production is somewhat of a product of those around him. He's currently 3rd on the Bills in sacks: Williams (12), Dareus (10), Hughes (9.5). Kyle Williams also has 5 sacks.

Love Hardy's talent...but not his troubles.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned that Hughes success is due to playing on a DLine with some really good players.

I'm sure it helps a lot having all those DL alongside him, but Jerry Hughes still has to face opposing LTs, typically the best pass protectors on the field.

Hughes has 9.5 sacks, a half-sack from a career high, and he has forced three fumbles. Thomas had a tough day trying to block Hughes last week, with the Pro Bowler being called for three holding penalties and a false start. link

That would be Joe Thomas, LT, Cleveland Browns. The #1 graded OT in the NFL on Pro Football Focus.

Thomas graded out -3.2 on PFF against Buffalo in week 13, his only negative score all season and his first below average game since the 2012 finale.

Although the Colts drafted him in the first round in 2010, Hughes was buried on their depth chart for three years with only seven starts and five sacks. The Colts traded Hughes, an ill fit for their defense, to the Bills before the 2013 season.link

The players burying Hughes in Indianapolis were Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Hughes barely saw the field in 2010 and 2011 playing behind the dynamic duo.

When Hughes received legit snaps in 2012, his pass rush ability surfaced. He wasn't at the level of the experienced starters, but he was very solid considering it was his first real action in the NFL.

Hughes' pass rush has been even better since being traded to the Bills.

He's averaging 3.79 QB disruptions (sack, hit, hurry) per game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If they follow the same asinine blueprint as this past offseason, Jones and Co. sign a cheap no-talent and claim success just like they did with the Mincey signing.

And how much money did they have to spend for a high dollar DE?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We desperately need a WDE and many here have cried for one. I hope the cap situation is better next year. We also need a S and two CBs maybe three. That ignores LB which I hope will sort itself out, DT, and possibly SDE. Plus we have to sign a RT or two.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And how much money did they have to spend for a high dollar DE?

Wait, I kept hearing the lack of cap space was irrelevant this entire offseason? But now it is?

Just make up your mind. Either we screwed ourselves with bad cap management or we didn't.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wait, I kept hearing the lack of cap space was irrelevant this entire offseason? But now it is?

Just make up your mind. Either we screwed ourselves with bad cap management or we didn't.

R u speaking about Stephen's yearly the cap don't really matter BS speech. Pffft! Of course cap space matters and I see you complaining about not signing FAs. U don't see me ever saying it doesn't matter.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
R u speaking about Stephen's yearly the cap don't really matter BS speech. Pffft! Of course cap space matters and I see you complaining about not signing FAs. U don't see me ever saying it doesn't matter.

I was talking about the general meme that existed around here that there was no reason to worry, we could do whatever we wanted.

Any team can do what they want. The issue is how willing they are to deal with the consequences.

If you did not subscribe to that idiotic theory, we have nothing more to discuss on the topic.

I just do not get how the team going cheap because they pretty much had no other choice really means they did what they wanted to do and meant to do it.

wileedog

Reaction score
That false-start the first two seasons with adjusting to Rob Ryan and continuing the 3-4 really hurt our plan.

I would actually argue that drafting and signing a bunch of guys better suited to a 3-4 then switching to a Tampa 2 out of the blue hurt a lot more than sticking with it. We could have easily dumped Ryan if he was an issue and found another good 3-4 coach, and wouldn't have some of the poor fits that we do have in the front 7 and particularly secondary.

Last edited:

Bluefin

Reaction score
We desperately need a WDE and many here have cried for one.

Yup.

I hope the cap situation is better next year.

It should be.

How much room is available will depend greatly on the decisions to keep or part ways with Doug Free and Henry Melton, whether to release Brandon Carr with the June tag or try to make him take a pay cut and if the Franchise tag is used on Dez Bryant.

I'm confident Tony Romo and Tyron Smith will be restructured, which can create $20M in cap room.

If Free and Melton become free agents, it will open up $14.5M.

If either stays, I'm guessing at a 2015 cap savings of $4M for Free (cut $8M base salary from $8M to $4M) and $6M for Melton (reduce base salary from $9M to $3M). The issue with both is they may want to test the free agent waters, Free's 2016 salary would also have to be addressed while Melton's 2016 and 2017 salaries would have to be addressed.

If Carr is a June release, we get no cap savings until June 2nd ($7.49M). If he's forced to take a pay cut and accepts, the savings would be immediate, hopefully $4M or more.

If Bryant gets the tag, it will be something like $12.71M, so a long term deal would be much better.

If Romo and Smith restructure, Free and Melton's deals are voided, Carr is a June release (no immediate savings) and Dez gets tagged with an adjusted team cap of $150M, we'd be looking at something around $22M to work with in free agency.

If Free stays, around $19.5M.

Free and Melton, around $17M.

Carr taking a pay cut would hopefully add $4M or more to any of the above guesses.

All these numbers include tendering our restricted and exclusive rights free agents and adding enough futures contracts to have a legit top 51 to work with.

We also need a S and two CBs maybe three.

It'd be nice to find a FS with real range, but this team seems fixated on adding SS types and forcing square pegs into a round hole.

A veteran CB seems in order unless Carr stays, which I don't expect. I'd then want to add another one during the draft, if possible.

That ignores LB which I hope will sort itself out, DT, and possibly SDE.

What will Rolando McClain cost?

Justin Durant shouldn't be expensive if willing to accept he may not start.

Definitely like to add a LB in the draft and hope for a special teams option from the undrafted guys.

I don't think Kyle Wilber will make the cut next year.

I wouldn't say no to another NT in the draft, but Ken Bishop can hopefully make strides during the off-season, too.

If a RDE isn't added in free agency, I hope a new LDE is.

Status quo is a no no.

Plus we have to sign a RT or two.

I expect Free to become a free agent unless Dallas is willing to give him a new contract containing another signing bonus. If he stays, I want to keep the current deal and just reduce Free's base salaries the next two seasons. A roster bonus impacting just 2015 (they can count in one year or over multiple years like a signing bonus) could be used to pay some of Free's base salary up front upon agreeing to terms.

Jermey Parnell would be the cheaper option and I do believe he has upside, but so may another team.

Darrion Weems, who's on I.R. this year and has no playing experience, should be an exclusive rights free agent. OTC says he'll be restricted, and I disagree, undrafted players like Parnell typically have splits in their contract in case they go on I.R.

The Cowboys like Weems, but he can't be viewed as an option to start next year, his immediate ceiling would likely be swing tackle.

And I'm very willing to spend an early selection on a worthy RT.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
im scratching my head with all the JPP love. This isn't 2011 . He's been an average player.

I've said that a couple of times in this thread because I don't get it either. He has made some great plays against the Cowboys and I guess that is all most fans remember.

Last edited:

Bluefin

Reaction score
I would actually argue that drafting and signing a bunch of guys better suited to a 3-4 then switching to a Tampa 2 out of the blue hurt a lot more than sticking with it. We could have easily dumped Ryan if he was an issue and found another good 3-4 coach, and wouldn't have some of the poor fits that we do have in the front 7 and particularly secondary.

Agreed.

I didn't like Rob Ryan, but remain a fan of the 3-4 so long as you have the personnel to run it. I like the 4-3, too, and addressing injuries does seem easier in this scheme, but the unexpected transition was a huge setback on defense.

Jay Ratliff and Bruce Carter were both mentioned as big reasons behind switching to the 4-3.

The team believed they would shine at UT and WILL, respectively, in the Tampa 2.

Rat quit on Dallas, the club is attempting to reclaim around $10M in cash and cap room, but I'm not optimistic on that front despite feeling the Cowboys deserve recompense in the matter.

And Carter failed miserably on the weakside, he's unlikely to be re-signed in free agency.

Two massive fails.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yup.

It should be.

How much room is available will depend greatly on the decisions to keep or part ways with Doug Free and Henry Melton, whether to release Brandon Carr with the June tag or try to make him take a pay cut and if the Franchise tag is used on Dez Bryant.

I'm confident Tony Romo and Tyron Smith will be restructured, which can create $20M in cap room.

If Free and Melton become free agents, it will open up $14.5M.

If either stays, I'm guessing at a 2015 cap savings of $4M for Free (cut $8M base salary from $8M to $4M) and $6M for Melton (reduce base salary from $9M to $3M). The issue with both is they may want to test the free agent waters, Free's 2016 salary would also have to be addressed while Melton's 2016 and 2017 salaries would have to be addressed.

If Carr is a June release, we get no cap savings until June 2nd ($7.49M). If he's forced to take a pay cut and accepts, the savings would be immediate, hopefully $4M or more.

If Bryant gets the tag, it will be something like $12.71M, so a long term deal would be much better.

If Romo and Smith restructure, Free and Melton's deals are voided, Carr is a June release (no immediate savings) and Dez gets tagged with an adjusted team cap of $150M, we'd be looking at something around $22M to work with in free agency.

If Free stays, around $19.5M.

Free and Melton, around $17M.

Carr taking a pay cut would hopefully add $4M or more to any of the above guesses.

All these numbers include tendering our restricted and exclusive rights free agents and adding enough futures contracts to have a legit top 51 to work with.

It'd be nice to find a FS with real range, but this team seems fixated on adding SS types and forcing square pegs into a round hole.

A veteran CB seems in order unless Carr stays, which I don't expect. I'd then want to add another one during the draft, if possible.

What will Rolando McClain cost?

Justin Durant shouldn't be expensive if willing to accept he may not start.

Definitely like to add a LB in the draft and hope for a special teams option from the undrafted guys.

I don't think Kyle Wilber will make the cut next year.

I wouldn't say no to another NT in the draft, but Ken Bishop can hopefully make strides during the off-season, too.

If a RDE isn't added in free agency, I hope a new LDE is.

Status quo is a no no.

I expect Free to become a free agent unless Dallas is willing to give him a new contract containing another signing bonus. If he stays, I want to keep the current deal and just reduce Free's base salaries the next two seasons. A roster bonus impacting just 2015 (they can count in one year or over multiple years like a signing bonus) could be used to pay some of Free's base salary up front upon agreeing to terms.

Jermey Parnell would be the cheaper option and I do believe he has upside, but so may another team.

Darrion Weems, who's on I.R. this year and has no playing experience, should be an exclusive rights free agent. OTC says he'll be restricted, and I disagree, undrafted players like Parnell typically have splits in their contract in case they go on I.R.

The Cowboys like Weems, but he can't be viewed as an option to start next year, his immediate ceiling would likely be swing tackle.

And I'm very willing to spend an early selection on a worthy RT.

Nothing for me to disagree with. Look for a S in the first round unless it's a pass rushing DE. They wouldn't pass up a playmaker to fill a need...probably... but that's my guess. CB wherever they fall. Another CB either FA or more likely out of the first two days. The rest is just BPA.

The FO will have to sort out the cap stuff once they get direction from the coaches.