The Cowboys Need Elliott More Than Elliott Needs the Cowboys

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That's the title of the article - don't @ me.

The Cowboys need Elliott more than he needs the franchise, and he is good enough to warrant a big contract, even bigger than Gurley’s. Dallas relies on Elliott to make their offense run the way they want it to...The Cowboys have neither an offensive genius on the headset or a generational talent at quarterback.

Dallas loses the crux of their offensive system and any hopes of championship contention in what will be their last year of financial flexibility before the bill comes for all the young talent they’ve accumulated. They may have the contractual leverage, but as far as the football goes, they need Elliott. And he knows that.

It's an interesting take. I think the Cowboys and Zeke need each other. Pollard has looked good, but is Jerry ready to roll those dice this season given other contracts coming soon and his desire for another trophy?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/08/24/ezekiel-elliott-holdout-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back/

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What Zeke needs, then, is a team willing to take the Rams' place as the givers of the worst contract in the NFL by paying him more than Todd Gurley.

Zeke is under contract with the Cowboys for two more years. He can either play for them or spend all his time on a hammock in Cabo until 2021.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Trash article.

No one player determines the fate of a football team, and the Cowboys are loaded with young talent.

I'm ready to move forward without Zeke if need be. Every year he does something to potentially derail the season.

Give me a good football player who puts the team first at RB1 and I think we will be just fine.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What Zeke needs, then, is a team willing to take the Rams' place as the givers of the worst contract in the NFL by paying him more than Todd Gurley.

Zeke is under contract with the Cowboys for two more years. He can either play for them or spend all his time on a hammock in Cabo until 2021.

Dallas would never let that happen, as it would hurt the team more than Zeke. Zeke will be getting a massive, recordbreaking deal from someone. All Dallas has leverage over is how long he has to wait for it. And making Zeke wait hurts Dallas’s salary cap and compensation.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'm sure plenty of people feel that way but I doubt Jerry Jones is one of them.

Proof

Reaction score
Dallas would never let that happen, as it would hurt the team more than Zeke. Zeke will be getting a massive, recordbreaking deal from someone. All Dallas has leverage over is how long he has to wait for it. And making Zeke wait hurts Dallas’s salary cap and compensation.

you have some poor takes. Tastes too, but that’s a given

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Jimmy G is the worst contract.

Gurley scored more TD last season alone in an arthritic knee than garoppolo has in his entire career. And he has the benefit of throwing the ball and touching it every snap he’s in.

Altestic

Reaction score
LOL... Zeke would be working at Burger King if it weren’t for the Cowboys.
Nah. He'd be doing just fine in Jacksonville. Say we drafted Ramsey. Then a different team would have been stuck with toilet-paper-soft Fournette the next year. Lol

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jimmy G is the worst contract.

Gurley scored more TD last season alone in an arthritic knee than garoppolo has in his entire career.

The Niners can get out of Jimmy G's contract after this season with only a 4.2 million dead cap hit. The front-loaded it big time, taking the hit last year when they had cap space and knew they weren't going anywhere.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
That's the title of the article - don't @ me.
Why would you believe/post such nonsense from an article that is written by some guy that is a "Fordham grad who enjoys reading, writing, and playing video games. He lives in New York and is an unapologetic New England sports fan"?! o_O

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Why would you believe/post such nonsense from an article that is written by some guy that is a Fordham grad who enjoys reading, writing, and playing video games. He lives in New York and is an unapologetic New England sports fan.

I didn't say I "believe" anything he said. It's a different take so I shared it. I don't recall requiring you to read it or to agree with it.

I couldn't care less about where the author lives or his hobbies.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I just don't see how people think Zeke has all the cards here. Sorry he doesn't. The Cowboys are better off going on without him if he doesn't want to play here which seems pretty clear right now.
I gave you a like but I think we are a better team with Zeke. However I don't think Zeke is the most important player on the team and he can be replaced. Might take a committee but we can run efficient, if not than why spend money and top picks on building the OL.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
The Niners can get out of Jimmy G's contract after this season with only a 4.2 million dead cap hit. The front-loaded it big time, taking the hit last year when they had cap space and knew they weren't going anywhere.

The rams can still get out of 18 million in roster bonuses from TGs contract. He has absurd 4-5 mil training camp bonuses if he’s on roster before the seasons going forward plus escalators.

He also has a 4.2 dead cap hit in a few years if they so desire to move on then too. Or an 8 dead mil cap hit in 21. He’ll also only be 27 then.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I just don't see how people think Zeke has all the cards here. Sorry he doesn't. The Cowboys are better off going on without him if he doesn't want to play here which seems pretty clear right now.

I definitely don't think he has all the cards but I also don't buy the "Zeke has no leverage" line I've read here many times.

The Cowboys want him to come back. That's why they're making offers when they really don't have to do anything.