The Cowboys Plan for 2024

Creeper

Reaction score
I see a trend towards younger inexperienced players. This is the Joneses hoping for a lightning strike. They seem to think they can pile up a bunch of cheap player so they can pay Dak, CeeDee, Diggs and Micah. This will not work. We have seen Dak isn't good enough to carry the team. We have seen CeeDee struggle when no one else is there to take some coverage off him. We have seen Micah struggle when he is double and triple teamed every play. They need help, more help than they go from the players they already let go. Thinking that they can find better players as UDFAs or draftees, or from teh scraps thrown away by other teams is dreaming not planning.

rambo2

Reaction score
But with a first place schedule, a net loss in free agency so far with more holes to fill than the draft allows for, how are they "more likely" to have the same number of wins as you said?
I think that they will be better at linebacker, center, and running back and some of the 2nd and 3rd year players will step up and surprise. Some of the guys that didn't play last year will contribute this year.

rambo2

Reaction score
I see a trend towards younger inexperienced players. This is the Joneses hoping for a lightning strike. They seem to think they can pile up a bunch of cheap player so they can pay Dak, CeeDee, Diggs and Micah. This will not work. We have seen Dak isn't good enough to carry the team. We have seen CeeDee struggle when no one else is there to take some coverage off him. We have seen Micah struggle when he is double and triple teamed every play. They need help, more help than they go from the players they already let go. Thinking that they can find better players as UDFAs or draftees, or from teh scraps thrown away by other teams is dreaming not planning.
We will see. If they get 12 wins again it might work.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But with a first place schedule, a net loss in free agency so far with more holes to fill than the draft allows for, how are they "more likely" to have the same number of wins as you said?
They had 16 FA's, and was about 12 less than typical. Usually they kept about half of the FA's give or take a few.
They kept 3 of them with 4 still not signed, lost 9 of them. Signed 2 FA's that were released by teams.

I am surprised they let that many leave. Now by design, out bid, such as Hankins. So how hard did they really try though.
Most of these are players fans wanted gone or could care less about anyway. But the lack of bringing anyone in is a bit puzzling and a concern.

They could have created the cap room if they wanted, but are still choosing to do nothing about it. This too is concerning.

Washington definitely gained on us, and Philly if anything stayed about the same with us, but actually gained. They lost and released players, but also replaced them.
NYG, well forget about them for now.

One could argue and not be wrong we are 3rd in the NFCE for now. 1st place schedule not that much of a difference with a 2nd place schedule. But we do face a lot of playoff teams again. I am not predicting 8 wins, nor 12 wins at this point. Just going to let it ride and see what happens after the draft. Which I am not excited about. I have a feeling it will be the same old plan.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jerry is all in on the tank. Dump Dak and Big Mike. Lots of draft picks for next season. Time to cut bait and start the process all over.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I don’t know if I agree with the Cowboys’ plan, but it is self-evident that their plan is to depend on recent rookie classes to step up. We’ll see if it works or not.

morasp

Reaction score
Good take on the player development philosophy of team building. I do think they could easily get three players in the upcoming draft that could start or make significant contributions this season.

WR Last year there were 5 WRs taken after pick 24 that had at least 40 receptions and at least 700 yards. Cooks had 54/657 and Gallup had 34/418. I also think that Tolbert could surprise with WR3 looks instead of WR4. Jordan Addison was taken at pick 23 70/911.

Puka Nacua pick Round 5 pick 177 105/1486
Rashee Rice Round 2 pick 56 79/938
Tank Dell Round 3 Pick 69 47/709
Jayden Reed Round 2 pick 50 64/793
Josh Downs Round 3 pick 79 68/771

RB Last year three rookie RBs had 800-1000 yards rushing and this year there are three with draft grades in about the same range.

6.84 Bijan Robinson rushing 214/976 Rec 58/487
6.38 Jonathon Brooks (ACL)
6.37 Jahmyr Gibbs rushing 182/945 Rec 52/316
6.33 Jaylen Wright
6.23 Devon Achane rushing 103/800 Rec 27/197
6.23 Trey Benson

Multiple OL picked after 24 stared all or double digit games for their team

Anton Harrison Started 17 games for the Jags R1 Pick 27
Steve Avila Started 17 games for the Rams R2P36
Matthew Bergeron Started 17 games for the Falcons R2 P38
Joe Tippman Started 14 games for the Jets Round 2 Pick 43
Cody Mauch Started 17 games for the Bucs Round 2 Pick 48
John Michael Schimtz Started 13 games for the Giants Round 2 Pick 57
O'Cyrus Torrence Started 17 games for the Buffalo Bills Round 2 Pick 59
Anthony Bradford Started 10 games for the Seahawks Round 4 Pick 108

Last edited:

MikeT22

Reaction score
So the plan is to replace the majority of the average/marginal players we lost in FA with their backups. Why am I not surprised?

Hadenough

Reaction score
I actually think the plan is to focus on purging to lower the cap and move on from Dak. Clear out the coaching staff and start fresh with a few select players dedicated to winning at all costs and holding other players accountable. That's Parsons and Lamb.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think that they will be better at linebacker, center, and running back and some of the 2nd and 3rd year players will step up and surprise. Some of the guys that didn't play last year will contribute this year.
Okay, so it's basically the same "I believe" reasoning that you questioned the other guy for. That was mostly why I asked.

rambo2

Reaction score
We’ve yet to see what they do with those positions. I think you mean you hope they will be better.
All the people mad mouthing them now haven't seen what they will do either. A good chance that they improve with both in the draft.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
All the people mad mouthing them now haven't seen what they will do either. A good chance that they improve with both in the draft.
Right. "Good chance" is the verbiage I'm keying in on here. What I responded to was your "more likely" they'll win 12 games again versus the trends at this point working against it with the team clearly not the same as last season given the key subtractions without replacement. When I asked why you said you think this or that will happen.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You don't believe thar they will be better at center and running back?
TBD. Pollard did better later in the season on the way back. If they decide to roll with Rico at RB and not add through the draft or only add via UDFA would you automatically think "better?" You can't pencil in "better" no matter who they bring in with preseason injuries, etc. Nothing's wrong with what you think. But neither is anything wrong with someone thinking Rico sucks.