The Cowboys Training Camp Pet Cats of recent history

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the beginning of every training camp, Cowboys fans who are starved for some real football, are served a steady diet of full on hype about some “training camp stars” who probably will never amount to much. It’s as predictable as the sunrise. These are usually mid to late round draft picks, or UFA with a great story.

No harm in that of course. I just find it humorous that every year about this time, we are told about some player who has had “a great camp” that eventually doesn’t make the team or does but never amounts to much when the live bullets of the regular season start to fly.

So, just for fun, I thought I would throw down a few names of “TC Pet Cats” - guys that were over-hyped at TC in the last 20-25 years, but never amounted to much. See how many of these names you remember:
  • Beau Morgan- RB originally an UFA out of Air Force, he led the team in rushing for three straight training camps, yet never had a single carry in a regular season game.
  • Rico Gathers- TE- the most over-hyped player in recent memory. Fans raves about his playmaking abilities- all in shorts or against 4th team Safeties in a preseason game.
  • Matt Johnson- S- a 5th round pick that had ability but had more hamstring pulls than anyone in history. Hyped as a future star, he never had any impact.
  • Dustin Vaughn- QB- an UFA with a pretty decent arm who received fan accolades for his TC throws and occasional moments in ps games. Never took a snap in a meaningful game.
  • Jameil Showers- QB/WR/S/ and god knows what else- seemed like he was hovering around this roster for 5 years, “making plays” in TC but never amounting to anything.
  • Kevin Ogletree- WR- actually made the team and made a few catches in regular season, but the hype we heard from TC was over the top compared to what he really was.
This list could go on and on. It always makes me laugh to see the Cowboys beat writers and/or team officials gush about some guy at TC who may not even make the team as “special”. No harm. Just a tradition I find humorous.

Who are some past TC “Pet cat stars” I left out?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
My pet cats of the past and present include Cedrick Wilson and Jourdan Lewis.

12+88=7

Reaction score
The only one on that list for me was Matt Johnson.

One recent was Ryan Switzer. Not as a receiver but as a return man, another Dwayne Harris I thought.

He's been in the league 3 years and has never had a touchdown return. His longest return was 61 yards with Dallas. Still in the league and still has a chance, but not what I thought.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

One recent was Ryan Switzer. Not as a receiver but as a return man, another Dwayne Harris I thought.

He's been in the league 3 years and has never had a touchdown return. His longest return was 61 yards with Dallas. Still in the league and still has a chance, but not what I thought.

Ryan Switzer had a punt return TD against Washington.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I never liked Ryan Switzer and was happy when we shipped him off. Was anyone really ever that high on Showers? He played multiple positions which made him useful on a practice squad but if he would've ever been starting at any position we would've been in trouble.

Rico Gathers was never given a shot in a regular season game. The only route they had him run was around the goal line and it was take a few steps and we'll throw you a jump ball. Creative play-calling as always around here.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Phillip Tanner comes to mind.

Yes, I remember him and pulled for him. Guy was a bulldog in preseason. I think that was the year we still had Felix Jones starting and then the genius of Garrett "discovered" Demarco Murray was pretty good but only after Jones got injured. Always thought they should have given Tanner like 5 carries a game to keep him fresh and keep his head in the game. Too bad he didn't end up with a guy like Pete Carroll. He claims people off waivers and plugs them into a game right away to see what he's got. Timing affects a lot of these guys' careers.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ryan Switzer is a great example. I remember many fans declaring him “the next Wes Welker”. And his specialty was going to be his punt returns. Well he did take one to the house on turkey day but he watched more punts hit the ground while we lost tons of yardage in field position. Very overrated.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bought some stock on Dorrance Armstrong a couple of years ago. I know he’s still here but probably not going to be anything beyond a deep backup- or on some other team’s roster.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm going to toss a curve ball into the discussion and say Tavon Austin.

I distinctly remember Stephen Jones telling the media that he was going to assume a "web back" role and possibly even touch the ball 20 times a game. I wouldn't necessarily say he was hyped by the media and Cowboys fans, but Stephen was really selling Tavon Austin stock for a few weeks a couple of years ago.

MikeB80

Reaction score
At the beginning of every training camp, Cowboys fans who are starved for some real football, are served a steady diet of full on hype about some “training camp stars” who probably will never amount to much. It’s as predictable as the sunrise. These are usually mid to late round draft picks, or UFA with a great story.

No harm in that of course. I just find it humorous that every year about this time, we are told about some player who has had “a great camp” that eventually doesn’t make the team or does but never amounts to much when the live bullets of the regular season start to fly.

So, just for fun, I thought I would throw down a few names of “TC Pet Cats” - guys that were over-hyped at TC in the last 20-25 years, but never amounted to much. See how many of these names you remember:
  • Beau Morgan- RB originally an UFA out of Air Force, he led the team in rushing for three straight training camps, yet never had a single carry in a regular season game.
  • Rico Gathers- TE- the most over-hyped player in recent memory. Fans raves about his playmaking abilities- all in shorts or against 4th team Safeties in a preseason game.
  • Matt Johnson- S- a 5th round pick that had ability but had more hamstring pulls than anyone in history. Hyped as a future star, he never had any impact.
  • Dustin Vaughn- QB- an UFA with a pretty decent arm who received fan accolades for his TC throws and occasional moments in ps games. Never took a snap in a meaningful game.
  • Jameil Showers- QB/WR/S/ and god knows what else- seemed like he was hovering around this roster for 5 years, “making plays” in TC but never amounting to anything.
  • Kevin Ogletree- WR- actually made the team and made a few catches in regular season, but the hype we heard from TC was over the top compared to what he really was.
This list could go on and on. It always makes me laugh to see the Cowboys beat writers and/or team officials gush about some guy at TC who may not even make the team as “special”. No harm. Just a tradition I find humorous.

Who are some past TC “Pet cat stars” I left out?

Ogletree was on the team for a while and actually contributed though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ogletree was on the team for a while and actually contributed though.
Yep...