The Cowboys weak link for years to come.

nathanlt

Reaction score
If Dallas could trade next years #1 for a proven, high caliber tackle, and next years # 2 for a proven, very good guard, those trades would really be worth it.

The reason for this is that you can not simply draft an instant starter at any offensive line position, unless you you are drafting in the upper half of the first round. Anything past that is pure luck. Quality offensive lineman take patience to groom into above average starters. So trading our #1 for someone else's patience is the only recipe to "win now" at offensive line.

Our offensive line does not dominate at all, and it will take a couple of weeks into the regular season before they start to come together as a group. If they don't put this together soon, the passing and the running will be devastated. Fortunately, our defense is going to make average and above average O-lines for other teams look weak. That's a plus!! We'll be in every game because of the defense.

The Cowboys will do good this year, we have two capable quarterbacks, and 3 good or excellent running backs, but so much hinges on O-line this year. It is the weak link, and the Cowboys just have to hope they can find a trade partner for some top-notch O-lineman.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Well if the Cowboys and Jerruh feels the same way as you do we might draft one in the first round. Theres a few guys there that have the potential to become great NFL tackles...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Next year, I expect us to get a high profile lineman in free agency. Adam or any other Contract Genius - who are the big name lineman looking at their last year in their contracts this year?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
yeah we suck SO bad this pre-season in blocking. thats why romo , our back up qb threw for 833 yards and our running backs gained 488 yards...yes our blocking purely sucks...i'd say our o-line is doing a might fine job blocking

Daudr

Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
yeah we suck SO bad this pre-season in blocking. thats why romo , our back up qb threw for 833 yards and our running backs gained 488 yards...yes our blocking purely sucks...i'd say our o-line is doing a might fine job blocking
Yes, 488 rush yards, most of which was gained against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string defenses, because against the 1st string defense we sucked at running. Not only that, but we were facing the vanilla defenses of the preseason.

I'm afraid it's about to get ugly for our RBs.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's not an exaggeration to say that all five o-linemen might have to be replaced next year (four, if Flo ever gets his act together).

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think we're pretty set at tackle for the next couple years barring injuries. And we already have two FA guards, they're not going after a third. They may draft one though. Maybe a center too.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First, there's not a team in the NFL that would give up the type of OT you are talking about for a #1 pick. They won't give up a young OG starter for a #2 either...never happen. Teams give up aging but effective linemen for top picks sometimes in order to draft their replacements.

We should do nothing until we see what we have this year. Adams should still have good tread on him. If Columbo does as well during the season as he did in preseason, then we are set at OT for years to come...that's not mentioning McQ, who can start at either OT in years to come if he continues to progress...he's been very impressive for a rookie at LT.

Rivera is getting long in the tooth, but you certainly aren't going to replace him yet. We just spent a lot of money on Kozier, so let's see what he can do before deciding we need an upgrade there...even if we do, it's easier to hide a weakness at G than at T.

We are not going to have a dominant, overpowering, superstar OL with 3 or more guys going to the probowl...however, I believe we will be very satisfied with our OL this year, and barring injury, they should be better at playoff time than at the start of the season.

With a RB like JJ, I think we needed more mobile linemen rather than simply huge overpowering linemen.

And with Bledsoe, pass protection is the priority over run blocking...one of many explanations for McQ over Pettitti. You can't totally rebuild an OL in one offseason. I think we have improved the entire unit, including the depth.

Fine tuning can take place next offseason, if necessary...but I wouldn't trade a #1 or #2 unless it was to get a guy like Hutchinson...not going to happen.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
bbgun said:
It's not an exaggeration to say that all five o-linemen might have to be replaced next year (four, if Flo ever gets his act together).
ON the contrary, I think that IS a huge exaggeration, and it will never happen. NO one replaces an OL in 1 year...it's impossible.

I think Kozier is the one guy who has to step up and do an adequate job this year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
ON the contrary, I think that IS a huge exaggeration, and it will never happen. NO one replaces an OL in 1 year...it's impossible.

I think Kozier is the one guy who has to step up and do an adequate job this year.

Baloney. Between the draft and free agency, it's utterly possible. You just need the $$$.

ccb04

Reaction score
I would love to see us go after OG Eric Steinbach, who was a pro bowl alternate last year and is only 25 y/o. He can also play tackle and center. He could become a F/A, as negotiations have not gone well with the Bengals and they feel Andrews could replace him. The Bengals also gave Jones alot of money and Marvin Lewis has already said he's like to see RT Anderson re-signed.

We were reportedly interested in OT Jeff Backus ... and IIRC, he only signed a 1-year deal.

I also wouldn't mind drafting a guy like OT/OG Justin Blalock from Texas. IMO, he is a guy that could contribute right away at RT or RG ... moreso RG replacing Rivera.

nathanlt

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
First, there's not a team in the NFL that would give up the type of OT you are talking about for a #1 pick. They won't give up a young OG starter for a #2 either...never happen. Teams give up aging but effective linemen for top picks sometimes in order to draft their replacements.

We should do nothing until we see what we have this year. Adams should still have good tread on him. If Columbo does as well during the season as he did in preseason, then we are set at OT for years to come...that's not mentioning McQ, who can start at either OT in years to come if he continues to progress...he's been very impressive for a rookie at LT.

Rivera is getting long in the tooth, but you certainly aren't going to replace him yet. We just spent a lot of money on Kozier, so let's see what he can do before deciding we need an upgrade there...even if we do, it's easier to hide a weakness at G than at T.

We are not going to have a dominant, overpowering, superstar OL with 3 or more guys going to the probowl...however, I believe we will be very satisfied with our OL this year, and barring injury, they should be better at playoff time than at the start of the season.

With a RB like JJ, I think we needed more mobile linemen rather than simply huge overpowering linemen.

And with Bledsoe, pass protection is the priority over run blocking...one of many explanations for McQ over Pettitti. You can't totally rebuild an OL in one offseason. I think we have improved the entire unit, including the depth.

Fine tuning can take place next offseason, if necessary...but I wouldn't trade a #1 or #2 unless it was to get a guy like Hutchinson...not going to happen.

I agree, it is a very long shot to find any team willing to trade. But some teams are desparate. We can hope, and if we find a team desparate enough, make the move!

Do you think Parcells philosophy on O-line is to get bulk? I saw Gurode make a great block in space, on Barber's long gain on the swing pass, but then, he's failed to make those blocks on a consistent basis.

Bottom line: We were all spoiled with the talent and coaching on the line in the early 90's. Woah!!!

nathanlt

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Baloney. Between the draft and free agency, it's utterly possible. You just need the $$$.

If you have your money tied up in other things, you won't be able to overpay for the talent, which is often what happens in free agency. Paying the price for a high 1st rounder can really break the bank.

Here's a question for capologists... If a team trades a #1 for a player, does that in any way set a precedent for the contract the team will have to offer?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
bbgun said:

ex-ag-ger-ate

verb [trans]- represent (something) as being larger, greater, better, or worse than it really is.

Just becasue it is possible doesn't mean its not a gross exaggeration.

Not gonna happen. Dumb thread. When is the other shoe gonna drop Nathan?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Let's see how the season unfolds and then we'll revisit this question.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a positive note, we could be looking at Columbo as our starting ROT for many years and McQ sounds like he will follow Flo at LOT.

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
My goodness. Why do so many people want to just run out and try to sign (or trade for) a high profile offensive lineman and the season has not even started yet?

Our depth all along the line is much improved from last season and as you may recall, our line was doing pretty good until the injuries began. The biggest difference is the 'depth' at the backup spots.

Do you really believe that you could get what you seem to expect you would for a first round pick? Why would a team trade away a 'proven' first round talent for another opportunity to 'gamble' in the draft next season?

Quit worrying and please. Give it a chance before you declare the line a failure.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
On a positive note, we could be looking at Columbo as our starting ROT for many years and McQ sounds like he will follow Flo at LOT.

Stop being so optimistic. Gosh. There's no place for that here.

Reaction score
Daudr said:
Yes, 488 rush yards, most of which was gained against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string defenses, because against the 1st string defense we sucked at running. Not only that, but we were facing the vanilla defenses of the preseason.

I'm afraid it's about to get ugly for our RBs.

Most yards are gained in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter during the regular season also. Its called the defense getting tired. Why do you think running backs get better as the game goes on, its not because they have more energy than they did in the beggining. Whats up with all the doom and gloom. Some of the people on several of these forums just come up with the stupidest off the wall stuff, Yeah lets trade all of our draft picks for a bucket of golf balls and a bologna sandwich. I get tired of reading some of this crap. Just chill, we up graded the line, the wide recievers, the tightend position, the linebackers, SUPPOSEDLY the kicking position and alot of you guys are on the ledge before the first kickoff. You can't just trade all your draft picks for "used up Big names". We got FLO back, with a better backup LT, got a RT that has better feet/ is faster, we got a better buckup RT, got a LG that can actually pull/ move. What else do you expect, There is this little thing called a SALARY CAP, that you have to work with this season and still not jepordize the team for years to come. Chill, Take a breath. The running game will be fine when TO, Glenn and Witten are on the field, Throwing it will open up the running game, then if they bring an extra guy in the box, then throw it. That O-line will probably look bad at times because Bledsoe has a tendency to hold onto the ball and doesn't move. Take a chill pill and wash it down with a 5th of Jack, It will be OK.