The Cowboys weak link for years to come.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Fortunately, our defense is going to make average and above average O-lines for other teams look weak.

Then, our offensive line ought to be better simply because they practice against our defensive line, right?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
On a positive note, we could be looking at Columbo as our starting ROT for many years and McQ sounds like he will follow Flo at LOT.

:hammer:
I read the OP, and was going to post something along these lines. If things progress forward from what it appears we have now, we could have the makings of a very good OL in a few years.
RT - Colombo... remember he was a first rounder four years ago
LT - McQ... BP absolutely loves this kid. With Flozell having 9 years under his belt, if and when his contract become prohibitive or runs out, McQ will be ready to take over if he puts it all together. He may have 2-3 years learning behind Flo.
OG - Kosier... drafted in '02 (same year as Colombo). He could be holding down the guard spot for a while. He's seemed solid to me so far.
C - We're still holding out hope for Gurode. I think Johnson just doesn't have the strength. If Gurode can get the mental down (signs are he's gotten a lot better there), he could finally be what we all thought he would be.

That could be 4 spots on the line that are set for the next 5 years or so. Looking at it from a glass half full perspective, we may only have to find ourselves another guard.

But I say wait and see this year. If these guys can play, there's no reason to be in panic mode on the OL. And trading #1 and 2 picks for OL is panic mode.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
If Dallas could trade next years #1 for a proven, high caliber tackle, and next years # 2 for a proven, very good guard, those trades would really be worth it.

The reason for this is that you can not simply draft an instant starter at any offensive line position, unless you you are drafting in the upper half of the first round. Anything past that is pure luck. Quality offensive lineman take patience to groom into above average starters. So trading our #1 for someone else's patience is the only recipe to "win now" at offensive line.

Our offensive line does not dominate at all, and it will take a couple of weeks into the regular season before they start to come together as a group. If they don't put this together soon, the passing and the running will be devastated. Fortunately, our defense is going to make average and above average O-lines for other teams look weak. That's a plus!! We'll be in every game because of the defense.

The Cowboys will do good this year, we have two capable quarterbacks, and 3 good or excellent running backs, but so much hinges on O-line this year. It is the weak link, and the Cowboys just have to hope they can find a trade partner for some top-notch O-lineman.

I guess I'm slow, but I thought you were never going to post here or watch another Dallas game as long as TO is on the team? What gives?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:
I guess I'm slow, but I thought you were never going to post here or watch another Dallas game as long as TO is on the team? What gives?

He snapped out of it.... got over it.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Glenn Carano said:

:laugh1:

nathanlt

Reaction score
JoeCorrado said:
My goodness. Why do so many people want to just run out and try to sign (or trade for) a high profile offensive lineman and the season has not even started yet?

Our depth all along the line is much improved from last season and as you may recall, our line was doing pretty good until the injuries began. The biggest difference is the 'depth' at the backup spots.

Do you really believe that you could get what you seem to expect you would for a first round pick? Why would a team trade away a 'proven' first round talent for another opportunity to 'gamble' in the draft next season?

Quit worrying and please. Give it a chance before you declare the line a failure.

If our O-line is better than the average O-line, there is NO significant talent weakness on the team. That is the last thing that needs to come around.
The final pieces of the puzzle are on the O-line. If they are found, we're looking at a new dynasty!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Baloney. Between the draft and free agency, it's utterly possible. You just need the $$$.

Fantasy land is nice but name me one team in the last ten years tha has replaced 4 olinemen much less 5.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Keep an eye on C/G Kyle Young at 6-5 330

Just the kind of versatile OL Parcells likes to have.