The Cowboys were cheated more than the Colts - Where's the national outrage?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks have said "Deflate Gate" is no big deal. Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks say the coaches wouldn't know the balls were deflated. Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks have said the deflated balls had minimal if any impact on the outcome.

I've heard many NFL guys say just the opposite. Not to the outcome of the game, but in the noticeable difference in the balls.

I saw where two NFL players were asked to catch and throw three footballs to each other.

One was the right pressure, .. one was over inflated and one was under inflated. They weren't told which was which.

They both got all three right immediately. It was that obvious to tell between each.

Why would the Patriots under inflate balls if it didn't make a difference?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard many NFL guys say just the opposite. Not to the outcome of the game, but in the noticeable difference in the balls.

I saw where two NFL players were asked to catch and throw three footballs to each other.

One was the right pressure, .. one was over inflated and one was under inflated. They weren't told which was which.

They both got all three right immediately. It was that obvious to tell between each.

nuff said

tyke1doe

Reaction score
They can say those things, but the fact is that the rules were broken. It doesn't matter if it happened before and went unnoticed and it doesn't matter if it had minimal impact.

If the rules say you've got to adhere to a certain standard and your team doesn't, then you've cheated. Now, if that standard isn't important, then the league needs to drop it.

Did the league specifically say in a written policy/memo that deflating the footballs were not allowed?

tyke1doe

Reaction score

But did you hear quarterbacks say it?
I specifically said quarterback because they're the ones handling the ball the most.

Look, if it's against the rules, it's against the rules. But maybe I missed where the league said this was not allowed, particularly when so many NFL quarterbacks seem to say this is a routine occurrence.

I've heard other NFL players say the opposite, that they couldn't tell. I think Joe Theisman said he conducted his own "scientific" test to see if he could tell the difference. He said he couldn't. Which leads me to wonder exactly how overinflated and underinflated the balls were in these tests.

Of course, it made a difference. But few think the difference had a major impact on the game or the final outcome of the game.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The league did some fast damage control.

The talking points were out fast and used frequently.

Some pretty simple stuff.

It is time to get over it though.

You'd have to hope it started a fire on that team to not let it come down to something like that again.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks have said "Deflate Gate" is no big deal. Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks say the coaches wouldn't know the balls were deflated. Many guys who've been NFL quarterbacks have said the deflated balls had minimal if any impact on the outcome.

But because it's the Patriots and because fans love to find conspiracies in everything, the issue will linger.

I don't get why people keep saying that altering the ball has minimal if any impact.
1. If that's the case, why deflate the balls to begin with?
2. If that's the case, why has the NFL placed these strict procedures in place to assure that the balls are at a specific PSI?
3. If that's the case, why are teams strictly prohibited from altering the footballs and specifically the PSI?

The Patriots get caught cheating (again) and all of sudden it's a conspiracy? :laugh:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
But did you hear quarterbacks say it?
I specifically said quarterback because they're the ones handling the ball the most.

One was Mark Brunell. The other was Jerome Bettis. Both NFL veterans who have handled a ton of footballs.
Aikman seems to be taking the side of it making a difference.

Of course, it made a difference. But few think the difference had a major impact on the game or the final outcome of the game.

Not the point.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One was Mark Brunell. The other was Jerome Bettis. Both NFL veterans who have handled a ton of footballs.

Not the point.

Yep...if it did not have a benefit to it, they would not make a rule against it and the team or players would not break the rule to do it.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Wow are we still complaining about the catch? Move on it's done with.

Doomsay

Reaction score

Not the point.

It's telling how difficult this is for some to grasp, brings into question the whole spirit of competition.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't get why people keep saying that altering the ball has minimal if any impact.
1. If that's the case, why deflate the balls to begin with?
2. If that's the case, why has the NFL placed these strict procedures in place to assure that the balls are at a specific PSI?
3. If that's the case, why are teams strictly prohibited from altering the footballs and specifically the PSI?

The Patriots get caught cheating (again) and all of sudden it's a conspiracy? :laugh:

I don't get why Cowboys fans keep berating Lions fans for thinking the no-pass interference call had a major impact on the game. If you listened to Cowboys fans, the non-call had minimal impact on the game. ;)

Look, I don't play in the NFL. But I listen to those who do. And the reason why I say it had minimal impact on the game is because:

1. The people who play the game say it had minimal impact.
2. The score was 45-7. If deflating a ball has that much of an impact, then a lot of teams would not only do it but would win in lopsided fashion.
3. Many quarterbacks have already said they do the same thing, i.e., manipulate the ball so they're comfortable with it.
4. LaGarrette Blount rush for more than 140 yards. That ball sure seemed easier to tote. Why if that ball was the right inflation, Blount would have had just 40 yards.:laugh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Fair enough.

Not the point.

It is in the sense of the outrage. People feel that the Patriots did something that gave them an unfair advantage. My question is whether this is a rule that was broken. If it is, I agree with you. If it's not - or some unwritten rule - I default to the "impact" argument.

CowboyGil

Reaction score

But because it's the Patriots and because fans love to find conspiracies in everything, the issue will linger.

Ah, the old "Everyone else does it, why can't we?" approach.

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
I don't get why Cowboys fans keep berating Lions fans for thinking the no-pass interference call had a major impact on the game. If you listened to Cowboys fans, the non-call had minimal impact on the game. ;)

Look, I don't play in the NFL. But I listen to those who do. And the reason why I say it had minimal impact on the game is because:

1. The people who play the game say it had minimal impact.
2. The score was 45-7. If deflating a ball has that much of an impact, then a lot of teams would not only do it but would win in lopsided fashion.
3. Many quarterbacks have already said they do the same thing, i.e., manipulate the ball so they're comfortable with it.
4. LaGarrette Blount rush for more than 140 yards. That ball sure seemed easier to tote. Why if that ball was the right inflation, Blount would have had just 40 yards.:laugh:

Every player I've heard said it does impact the game especially throwing and catching.

Teams don't do it because it's against the rules. Patriots obviously have a blatant disregard for the rules as we've seen previously.

QBs have manipulated the ball which is legal as long as it passes inspection before the game. They don't change the pressure or ball after that point but it sounds like the Pats did just that.

The outcome is irrelevant. They broke the rules. I would bet this isn't the first time they've done this either.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The Patriots will lose a draft choice or two and pay a fine. But, they may get a ring out of it. So, I guess it was worth it for them. I personally think the Patriots have been deflating the balls for a long time and just got caught. And I think Brady was behind it and ordering it.

The Cowboys were screwed on a bad call by Dean Blandino. Anyone other than Blandino lets the call stand. The only reason Blandino made that call was because he was spotted on Jerry's party bus and someone took photos of it last year or something. Had Blandino rightfully let the play on the field stand, he would have had to face accusations that his partying with Jerry biased his opinion, especially after what happened against Detroit. Blandino was not man enough to face that and, thus, took the easy way out. Lesson to Jerry Jones and all Cowboy personnel: stay away from officials. Do not meet any NFL official or anyone associated with NFL officiating in any capacity ever! Under no circumstance is a Cowboy representative to meet with any NFL official ever. I also think it should be NFL rule that no one associated with NFL officiating is to ever meet with team personnel.

I also think that if all replay calls are going to go to NY for review, that the review should be by three individuals and not one. Either a) two of the three or b) all three have to agree or the play calls as stands. Too many times I've seen Peira or whoever on network tv see the same thing and rule differently.