The Cowboys were cheated more than the Colts - Where's the national outrage?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Difference is the refs vs. A TEAM. GB didn't specifically and deliberately try tto premedidate an advantage. As a Cowboys fan, I'm just as pissed about that call but this will be viewed differently.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Every player I've heard said it does impact the game especially throwing and catching.

Teams don't do it because it's against the rules. Patriots obviously have a blatant disregard for the rules as we've seen previously.

QBs have manipulated the ball which is legal as long as it passes inspection before the game. They don't change the pressure or ball after that point but it sounds like the Pats did just that.

The outcome is irrelevant. They broke the rules. I would bet this isn't the first time they've done this either.

First, you and I must be listening to different players.

Second, I keep asking this question so I'll ask you. Where in the rules does it say you can't deflate a ball?

Third, I don't disagree with you in one sense. If this was a rule, if the memo was sent down from the NFL offices that you aren't supposed to deflate the balls, then punish away. I'm not saying that the Patriots shouldn't be punished. I'm merely asking/saying ...

1. ) What is the rule and where can I read that rule,
2. ) Belichick doesn't necessarily have to know that this happened, though I believe Brady did and
3.) Deflating the balls had a minimal impact on the game, based on the comments I've heard from several players. I guess if the ball were the right size, Blount would have had 40 yards instead of 140. ;) :D

nathanlt

Reaction score
I agree that that is the difference.

There was a clear rules violation by the Patriots, whether we care for the rule or not, while Dallas' loss came down a judgment call that many feel the officials got right by letter of the law.

No one can say that what the Patriots did was right.

There is no rule that supports what the referees did to the Cowboys. One elbow down completes the process, nullifying the rule they tried to base their tampering on. Additionally 6 football moves were made, negating any basis for overturning Dez's CATCH.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is no rule that supports what the referees did to the Cowboys. One elbow down completes the process, nullifying the rule they tried to base their tampering on. Additionally 6 football moves were made, negating any basis for overturning Dez's CATCH.

The elbow down doesn't nullify the rule if they say no football move was made. In that case, he has to hold on to the ball all the way through the process of going to the ground.

The reason this is debatable — instead of being clear-cut like we'd like it to be where everyone agrees with what we see — is because football move is a judgment call. You say there are six. I believe there was one that was not part of the process of going to the ground — the lunge for the goal line. The replay official apparently believed there was none ... either that or was so focused on seeing if the ball came loose that he forgot to consider if Dez made a football move.

The rule ambiguously supports whatever you want to call because determining what's a football move is left up to the judgment of the officials, which is why it needs to be changed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did the league specifically say in a written policy/memo that deflating the footballs were not allowed?

There is a league rule on how much the ball is to be inflated. That nullifies any need to send a written policy/memo that deflating the football isn't allowed.

Rule 2 The Ball
Section 1
BALL DIMENSIONS
The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Reaction score
Difference is the refs vs. A TEAM. GB didn't specifically and deliberately try tto premedidate an advantage. As a Cowboys fan, I'm just as pissed about that call but this will be viewed differently.

Premeditated,,,, something tells me that replay official, either under orders or by his own decision, walked into that game knowing Dallas would not be getting any close replay calls going their way.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Premeditated,,,, something tells me that replay official, either under orders or by his own decision, walked into that game knowing Dallas would not be getting any close replay calls going their way.

That's fair.. A little more national outrage doesn't really help our cause though.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
10917081_746504285445955_7966157588789597618_n.jpg

tyke1doe

Reaction score
There is a league rule on how much the ball is to be inflated. That nullifies any need to send a written policy/memo that deflating the football isn't allowed.

Rule 2 The Ball
Section 1
BALL DIMENSIONS
The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Thanks. That's all I asked.

nathanlt

Reaction score
The elbow down doesn't nullify the rule if they say no football move was made. In that case, he has to hold on to the ball all the way through the process of going to the ground.

The reason this is debatable — instead of being clear-cut like we'd like it to be where everyone agrees with what we see — is because football move is a judgment call. You say there are six. I believe there was one that was not part of the process of going to the ground — the lunge for the goal line. The replay official apparently believed there was none ... either that or was so focused on seeing if the ball came loose that he forgot to consider if Dez made a football move.

The rule ambiguously supports whatever you want to call because determining what's a football move is left up to the judgment of the officials, which is why it needs to be changed.

Here's another one not related to the fall, Dez turns his body more than 90 degrees, starting with his back parallell to the sideline, then ending up with his head and shoulders canted toward the sideline.

A fall does not require a rotation. That rotation alone was a football move. But you've gotta admire that referee, fighting through near blindness and mild brain damage to make it to the height of his craft.

Everson24

Reaction score

The rule they broke was overturning a call without conclusive evidence. That is where we were cheated. They overruled the side judge's interpretation that a "football move" had been made and made their own judgement from a seat in an office in NY. I somehow seem to be one of the few(along with Norm Hitzges and Ben Rogers) who is outraged at this blatant abuse of power by the head of NFL officiating Dean Blandino. It just seems far more scandalous to me than a few slightly deflated footballs in a blowout win. This overturned call handed the game to the Packers.