News: The Cowboys will have an elite offensive line in 2021?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I totally agree. We need a realistic approach to talent evaluation. We overvalue our players. When the Jets mentioned Tyron in a trade for Adams last season, the board went ballistic. In reality, Tyron has been on the downward slope for years. Does anyone expect him to have a miraculous rebound next season and play all 16 games at a high level?

When healthy Tyron Smith is still a top 5 tackle and he only makes $12 million a year. Top tackles almost make double that. Even if he misses a few games a year he is still a bargain.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
When healthy Tyron Smith is still a top 5 tackle and he only makes $12 million a year. Top tackles almost make double that. Even if he misses a few games a year he is still a bargain.
That contract may be the best ever written and served, but in order to make a term deal like that contract, you have to really trust the player to hold up to his end of the deal, and Tyron has.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm baffled. Not sure how we can have 3 of the best run blockers in the league yet rank in the bottom half of every rushing metric. I think this article is baseless and poorly researched. PFF ranks Biadasz #32 among centers. You would think he was headed to the pro bowl after reading this article.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTB are the worst DC apologists I've ever seen. Anything to phase out the forest fire that is the 2020 season
You deny that the O-Line has been forced to play with backups? It's a story about the O-Line, how could that not be the focus?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to change the name of that form BloggingtheBoys to HappyHomers and they need to watch this team try to run up the gut.

The OL is unknown for 2021 but more importantly, the actual makeup game to game throughout the season is unknown. The OL is the most crucial unit on the team for depth, followed by the secondary. I'd say they're not doing too well in those two units this season.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Elite offensive line goes too far.

If they are healthy. I do think the offensive line will be good next year.

If Tyron can play his usual 13 games. If Collins is back healthy. Plus Biadasz with another year experience and McGovern with another year experience.

The offensive line should be good.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Are fans still banking on Tyron Smith returning to an elite level? :huh:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Replace Tyron with Sewell and sign a top guard to replace Williams and the O-line will be back to being a strength.

Unfortunately drafting Sewell is looking unlikely so we’ll have to hope Tyron stays healthy.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, but this is the first year Smith has my issued more than 3 games. It's also the first year that I recall he's had surgery to try and correct his issue.

If he comes back and is able to play out his contract, we have a top 3 LT with a very team friendly contract.

Correct which injury ?..... the neck or the back ?

At this point, its looking like its' always gonna be something or another. And what's next ?... Foot ?.. Groin ? ..Shoulder ?

And the way this management operates, I see the Cowboys squeezing out the remaining years of Tyron, patch working it between Smith and a Cam Erving.
Apparently they think Tyron still has much left when he is healthy enough to be on the playing field and he is still a winning LT.
o_O

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If it stays as is the Oline will only be as good as their health. They are no longer dependable.

quickccc

Reaction score
" While this line has fallen apart plenty of times recently, they currently rank ninth in adjusted line yards, tenth in power success rate, and eighth in adjusted sack rate.
While their pass block win rate of 53% ranks them near the bottom of the league, this line is actually fifth in the NFL in run block win rate
.. "

Rookie Steele's grade obviously brings this OL unit overall grade down.

:confused:

quickccc

Reaction score
Replace Tyron with Sewell and sign a top guard to replace Williams and the O-line will be back to being a strength.

Unfortunately drafting Sewell is looking unlikely so we’ll have to hope Tyron stays healthy.

the biggest key is having very capable emergency backups and switchable options.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
IF Tyron comes back 100% and we somehow draft Sewell, then sure. Those are big ifs though.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think this article is being a little too optimistic.

The assumption is that because Tyron had surgery on his neck the problems he has had are fixed. We do not know that. We has had problems with his elbow, back and knee I believe. None of those are fixed by his neck surgery. His neck may not be fixed by his neck surgery.

We are also assuming La'El Collins will be 100% have hip surgery. I don't know exactly what they did to repair his hip, but that's a tricky one. Collins may not come back even close to 100%.

And notice how Martin turned 30 and now is getting dinged here and there? The guy sis all-world in my book, but we have to watch for those injuries that nag older players.

Now let's get to the other two positions. Biadasz looks promising and with an off-season maybe he gets better, but he looked like he needs to get a little stronger. I do think he will be good enough and he looks like he understands how to run block. He needs to work on pass blocking which I think may come with experience and additional strength.

That leaves us with Connor Williams. Williams has a major flaw and that is he can be bullied by big strong DTs, particularly when pass blocking. But he has good feet and he is an excellent blocker when on the move., maybe the best on the team. I'd rather see someone else at LG, and maybe that's Connor McGovern. McGovern doesn't look dominating but he seems to avoid bad plays. He is clearly lacking experience, but the question is, could he take over for Williams and would that be an improvement?

I think we have to assume at least one of the OL will get hurt again next year. The Cowboys should be prepared for that.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Nice cheerful article...

...except for one thing...

...Tyron Smith seems to be getting injured every year lately. Does anyone believe he will remain healthy all of next season? I don't. So, back to having Knight or Erving back at Left Tackle? How has that worked out this season?

PFF's position rankings after Week 12:
Tackle:
Tyron Smith- 67.8 not enough snaps to rank
Steele- 49.7 (76th out of 78)
B. Knight- 58.3 (66th)
C. Erving- 58.0 (68th)
In all honesty. Ive been calling for Tyron to have surgery for years. Him and DLaw had similar back issues. Dlaw had surgery and hasnt had a back issue since. I think this surgery is going to do wonders for tyron

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In all honesty. Ive been calling for Tyron to have surgery for years. Him and DLaw had similar back issues. Dlaw had surgery and hasnt had a back issue since. I think this surgery is going to do wonders for tyron
I hear you brother. A few of us have been calling for as much for several years as well. I only hope Tyron didn't take too long to the point he did more damage to his body than what surgery today will be able to fully fix and heal for him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No, they won't be even close to what they were a few years ago.

They could at least not be the huge liability they are now, though.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
And the way this management operates, I see the Cowboys squeezing out the remaining years of Tyron, patch working it between Smith and a Cam Erving.
Apparently they think Tyron still has much left when he is healthy enough to be on the playing field and he is still a winning LT.

I agree with this approach. I think he's worth the risk. Just need to ensure we have a decent swing.